Wednesday, December 22, 2010

it was an evening of holly and some jolly

Our office closed a little bit early today, which gave me an unexpected hour and half of free time.  I had on good authority that prices on flats at Burlington Coat Factory had hit rock bottom.  Since I am not one to miss out on a fashionable, low priced shoe-and I was giddy with the freedom-I swung by the house and picked up my sister, and we headed out to get ourselves some new kicks.

It just so happened that Emily turned out to be very pleasant company because she was in the best mood EVER.  She talked nonstop the entire way to the store about Christmas break and her friends and how much she is loving high school and the pink hat her favorite nun gave her for Christmas today and a new cake dessert she enjoys and LOOK AT THE SKY, LAURA, IT REALLY LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL!!  And just when I thought she could not possibly be any more cheerful, we walked into the store and got on the escalator and she exclaimed, "OH I JUST LOVE ESCALATORS!!!"

The happiness continued into the evening, when we put the ornaments on our tree.  After the decorating was complete, I thought it would be a great idea to take a few pictures next to our hard work.  My current favorite picture pose is "popping," and I was sure we could get some winning photographs of Philip, Emily, and I "popping" out of the tree.  I introduced the "popping" pose last year on my 21st birthday, and while my family was hesitant at first, the result is one of my favorite pictures ever...
Since Phil and Em are good sports, they agreed to "pop" out of the tree with me.  In fact, Phil really got into it.   When I heard him say, completely seriously, "Emily, you come on my side, that way we can alternate sides and pop in descending height order," I just about lost it.  We were hysterical.

This was our first try.  Not great.  We can surely do better.
 Nice face, Phil.
 And finally, the winner!!!
Try a "popping" photo at your Christmas celebrations this weekend.  I can pretty much guarantee it will be a hit with your family and friends.  Of course, if you don't impress them with your wacky photo posing skills, you could always take them to the mall to ride the escalators.  I hear some people JUST LOVE them!!

11 comments:

Adele said...

i love the big tree! i've not had a christmas tree in years {my family likes christmas to be fuss free} but i really am looking forward to having one of my own when i have my own family! have a great christmas! (: xo

{av} said...

oh my goodness! thank you so much for the laugh...I might just have to try and "pop" out this Christmas too! hope you have a beautiful Christmas with your family...and thank you so much for the blog love! xoxo {av}

AubreyMo said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Your family is so cute. And I love the comment Phil made. Photos like this is what makes Christmas so worth it...(and I am definitely one of those people that love escalators, just not elevators, those freak me out. The funniest thing about escalators is when they are broke though. People get so angry when they have to walk up stationary stairs!)

ae said...

I will have to try the popping pose this weekend. I am sure my brothers will LOVE me;)

Kimbirdy said...

haha! those photos are awesome. and your sister sounds adorable!

Sarah said...

I love your tree popping idea! I am so going to try doing that with my family this week, even if it means I have to move the tree away from the wall! :)

Miss Southern Prep said...

I love that idea! Those pictures are too cute!

Meredith! said...

i love your tree! colored lights are my favorite! and the popping out picture is so cute! =)) im a new follower!!

Merry Christmas,
Meredith

Things to Do said...

Love the pictures!

However one question remains unanswered. Did you get any shoes?

andrea said...

As a photographer, I'm a huge fan of the POP. Hahahahaha. I think it goes without saying that you've seen (and no doubt appreciated) awkwardfamilyphotos.com?

And seriously, I feel very un-festive now that I realize my own washing machine is without a Christmas tree.

Jessica said...

I love the pictures! I would have asked them to pose like that too. Haha!

Merry Christmas!