Tuesday, October 18, 2011

two steps forward, one step back

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of road names that are solely numbers, or that feature a letter indicating a cardinal direction.  

Main Street?  I can handle that.  

Cherry Lane?  Bring it on.  

676E?  No thanks, I'll stay home.

I have a rocky and longstanding relationship with highways.  What happens is that I tend to panic in areas with several exits and SO MANY signs.  I never seem to have enough time to find the sign I want, and then I end up doubting my gut instinct, and just get on to the nearest exit ramp as quickly as I can.  Which is usually a poor decision.

That exact scenario is how I learned that there is a lovely little town called Grantville in the middle of Pennsylvania.  I accidentally discovered it when I was en route from Penn State to Philadelphia.  I was coming home for a job interview senior year, and it was the first time I'd done the drive by myself.  My dad emailed me a set of incredibly detailed instructions, and after step #9 he wrote, "Okay, if you're made it this far, you can't go wrong now! The rest is easy!"

Well, guess who went wrong at step #10, and ended up in tears on the phone with her father while sitting in the parking lot at the Grantville rest stop.
 
This afternoon I had an obligation in the city for my new job.  As it turns out, that's not really the kind of situation where you can say, "Well, boss, I have bad luck with highways and following directions, so THANKS BUT NO THANKS."  It meant I had to grow up and drive from the suburbs to the city.  I looked over the directions a few nights ago and didn't think they sounded that complicated, and told myself that if I missed my exit, I could always just turn around!  Easy solution!  I showed the directions to my dad and, just for some reassurance, said, "I mean, what's the worst that could happen if I miss my exit?"  

"YOU WILL GO TO NEW JERSEY!"

Hmm.  Note to self.  Don't miss the exit.

So today was the big travel day, and I did it.  Without any problems at all.  I was pretty proud of myself.

After I parked I walked down the street and found the fancy office building.  The lobby was HUGE and after I signed in and went through security, I walked up to a hallway FULL of elevators.  There were at least eight of them.  I saw one elevator that had the doors open and a few people waiting inside.  Perfect timing.  I marched right on over and hopped in, and the man standing in front of the buttons asked me, "What floor?"  

"Five please," I told him.

He sort of looked at me expressionless, so I repeated myself.

"Five.  Please."

And then he said, "Uhh, you know not every elevator goes to every floor right?  The ones that go to five are down there on the end."

Obviously I did not know that, because if I did I would not have boarded a (full) elevator bound for floors 11-15.  I walked out of the elevator and down to the end of the row, where I saw the sign
<-- ELEVATORS FOR FLOORS 1-5 -->.

I have another meeting in the city on Thursday.  

I'm not worried about the drive at all.

But I can assure you that once I arrive, I will be taking the stairs.

10 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Good job on getting there without problems. The elevator issues totally sounds like something I would do. Silly people with their fancy buildings and fancy elevators...sheesh!!

Morgan said...

What in the world? Elevators that don't go to all floors???! Weird.... Well good luck with your next trip! If you did it once, you can do it again. =)

Lauren said...

love this...hate to tell you, but I giggled as I read this post! i hate it when i do something like that...especially in front of a bunch of people!

Saying I do said...

Haha this was funny...good luck with your other meeting! Driving somewhere new esp. in a city is def. stressful!

Annie said...

Congratulations! I unfortunately know that anytime I'm going someplace new for the first time, I will make at least one mistake trying to get there. So when I have to go someplace new, I try to plan time to mess up the directions, haha.

As for the elevators, I have no words, besides to say that's SO WEIRD.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha, we should be new bff's. I have stuff like that happen to me all the time!

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

LOL, that is such an easy mistake to make. At least you were able to navigate your way there successfully.

*Erin

Elisabeth said...

haha - well done with directions... i struggle driving new places and really don't like it actually ...WAY too stressful for me :)

Marisa A. said...

Hahaha oh man that is hilarious! I've never gotten on the wrong elevator, but I'm definitely the person standing in the way staring up at all the signs above them!

Anonymous said...

You know, up where I live (B.C., Canada), we mostly have numbered streets in our area. LOVELY, I say - it is like a grid, always easy to find an address. Seriously....Cherry Lane..where is that?!!
Numbers = no maps
:)
ps - we don't have any snow yet...heehee (I see that you do!)