my young face and old feet average out to my current age

After I ate dinner tonight I thought to myself, "Self, you should really write some sort of post," but nothing popped into my mind.  Instead I switched from my summer purse to my winter purse and then painted my nails.  However, things in the excitement department really picked up when Michelle got home and called the police due to some suspicious parking lot activity.

SPOILER ALERT.  EVERYTHING IS FINE.

A few minutes after her call, a police officer responded to our apartment and we talked to him for a few minutes about the situation.  Little did we know the best part was yet to come.  After he took down our information he looked at us and said, "So, are you girls going to college around here?"

Listen, it made me so happy when we had to tell him that NO, WE HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN OUT OF COLLEGE FOR THREE YEARS AND HAVE REAL, GROWN UP JOBS, BUT WE ARE EXTREMELY FLATTERED BY YOUR QUESTION.

His question came at the perfect time, because just the other night I went shopping for new shoes and ended up buying a pair of flats made by the brand Life Stride.  They have more orthotic support than any shoes I've ever owned and while I think I'm a decade or five under the target audience for Life Stride footwear, I can already tell that I will be a lifelong fan.

I did some clothes shopping after I bought my shoes, but was largely unsuccessful.  I spent several hours combing through rack after rack and came home with nothing but two plain tops that I found for $2.58 each in the clearance section.  

My shopping experience was quite unlike one that I'd had earlier in the week with Matt.  He needed a few new items for his wardrobe and asked me to join him at the store to provide fashion advice and humorous commentary, which happens to be my specialty.

He chose a few items and headed to the dressing room, while I waited just outside in case he asked for my opinion.  Well, a few minutes later I heard him WHISTLE AT HIMSELF.  In the dressing room.  At his reflection.  

Needless to say he was very impressed with how he looked in his new outfit.

We're just going to have to work on building up that self confidence.

Something tells me that won't be any trouble at all.

Photobucket

Comments

Haha. I get really flattered when people ask if I'm in college or under 21. Someone guessed my age right on the mark the other day though and I was pleased he hadn't guessed any higher at least!
Rachel said…
Hey, comfortable shoes are just smart! Not old...although sometimes people think that "smart" and "old" have to go together, we can show them otherwise! I was at my alma mater a couple weeks ago and someone asked me if I was a freshman. That was kind of cool. :P
Bekah Walsh said…
The last flats I bought were hush puppies, so I feel your pain.
Robin said…
If you the Life Strides work for you, wear them! Age doesn't matter. I still get some t-shirts from the teen section, even though I am 25.
brooke lyn said…
grandma shoes know what's up. hello extra support.
Brittany said…
Tremendous. I love this. I know exactly what you mean about being asked if I'm still in college. On the extremely rare occasion, I'm actually mistaken for someone still in high school! I'll take it...and I might look into this Life Stride footwear you speak of...
Becky said…
What kind of flats did you get?! I'm in need of some new ones for work!

Hahaha glad Matt liked his new clothes! :)
Hilda said…
Don't worry, better clothes will make their way to stores. Especially since we are nearing the holidays. And that was a great compliment the officer gave you girls. :D
Angela said…
This is hilarious! I have shoes for crews... and they are ridiculous. But oh so comfy.
I actually got angry. But that's because I got ID to buy a lottery ticket because I apparently looked like I was less than 18. And I'm 29. But that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was the cashier who decided to yell out my actual age to the entire line-up of people at the check-out. NOT. FUN. ugh. Just a little bit embarssing.
Michelle said…
He whistled at himself?! I am dying. I love it so much.

I do not yet have sensible shoes, but I knit and I'm in bed by 9:30 every night, so I totally get you.
emi said…
haha! whistling at himself! i wouldn't put that past chase. love it! XO

the well-traveled wife
Lacey Daniels said…
I get the same question all the time.. Everytime I tell people I am graduating this semester there instantly like how old are you? Like I don't look old enough to be graduating!
Traci said…
I just recently bought a pair of Life Stride's myself. They look cute & trendy so I just pretend they're a cute & trendy brand.
Susannah said…
This seriously made me laugh because I can totally relate. I constantly get asked if I'm 17 (why 17, I don't know) and I have to tell people I'm married and 25. ;-)
Sara said…
Bahahaha! This sounds just like my husband! Not lacking in confidence at all. :)
Sarah Alway said…
Sometimes it really pisses me off when I don't get asked for my ID in stores or restaurants! It's like, "What, you think I look older than 21?!" LOL

Sarah @ Life As Always
I am the same way when i get carded!! It is nice not to feel old, so I take it where I can get it! Whistling at his reflection is too funny!!
Becky M said…
The story about Matt is hilarious! Glad you shared!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com
Anna said…
Don't worry - I also own shoes that are well beyond my age bracket. But I feel okay about it at the end of a long work day. haha. :)
birdie to be said…
Ha love this! Can't beat being mistaken for a college student!
jess said…
Ha! While in some ways I already appreciate it, especially now that I'm almost to the big 3-0, it still drives me a little crazy that my students keep mistaking me for a student...as does the librarian and just about all the other staff and faculty at work :P

jess
Quaintrelle

p.s. I wear Dansko. Not the clogs (I'm not that far gone), but their flats. I've been an old lady since my early 20s!
megan said…
I'll be 30 in December and get asked atleast once a week what college I go to...sometimes people still think I'm in highschool, too! It's flattering and I should appreciate it, but sometimes it's annoying. :)
Slice of Life said…
I'm 25 and get the college comment all of the time too!!! It's slowed down since I got engaged/married but it just makes me laugh.
Meghan Kraft said…
Haha, I love this story - it definitely made me smile during a tired morning at the office ;) It's always nice to be mistaken for someone younger...I mean. I still am flattered when I'm carded ;)
Faith said…
Hahahaha!! I need to whistle at myself in the mirror. Can you imagine how good that feels? Lol

And put the orthopedic shoes away ;)
Hilary said…
I have a pair of Naturalizers and they are the most comfy shoes ever. Power to the orthopedic shoes.
Jayda said…
Too funny!! Comfortable shoes are where it's at. I own two pairs of heels, and my favorite part of wearing them, is taking them off when the event I wear them to is over! And congrats on being mistaken for a college student...those are always the best moments!
Why do you think I like when I get carded!?
I love a good pair of comfortable flats. I only really wear heels to church because I know I will be sitting the whole time!! haha
Sarah said…
I loveeeeeeeeeeee grandma shoes - hello comfort flats! Ha!
The Lady Okie said…
haha! that's awesome. once i got carded for a rated r movie. like, a few months ago. i didn't even know they did that anymore!
Fourteen Five said…
I get carded a lot. Well, in Finland there's this "new rule" that a store person needs to ask ID from everyone who looks under 30 so I guess it's sort of a compliment. But still sometimes it gets annoying, like when I bought a corny birthday gift for a friend of mine and I bought this very ugly lighter(this sounds so lame..), because I thought it was funny, not that I'm supporting her bad habits or anything..and I got carded. Seriously. You have to be under 18 to buy smoking devices or such here.. I guess my new hair color made me look 10 years younger :P

have a great day !

Kat
fourteen5.blogspot.fi
Haha, I wish someone was still asking me if I was in college!
Baby Sister said…
Haha. I have people that think I'm a teenager all the time. Love it! And Matt is hilarious. Which I'm sure you knew. :)
Janna Renee said…
Will hates trying on clothes, so I buy it and bring it home for him to try on. It usually works out, because I'm pretty good at eyeballing his size, and then he doesn't get grumpy. He whistles at himself too. We have such self conscious men ;)