north, south, east, and west, spin the wheel and hope for the best

Last night Matt and I each made a bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream and settled in for an episode of Brain Games.

I believe the words you're looking for are WILD AND CRAZY.

The episode theme was "Battle of the Sexes," and obviously I knew the ladies had this one in the bag but I humored Matt and agreed to play along with the scenarios.

First topic up was spacial reasoning.

Welp, Laura Darling, OUT.

The scenario was, "Which set of directions makes more sense to you? Drive north on main street for two miles.  Head west on Pine Street, and then drive southeast on Maple Street.  You will reach your destination in two thirds of a mile."  

OR "Drive out of the parking lot and turn left.  At the grocery store, make a right.  Stay on that road for three stoplights, and then make a right at the bank.  Your destination will be on the left, just past the pizza place."

NOW YOU'RE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE.

Spatial reasoning has never been my wheelhouse.  However, I believe I come by it honestly because when my mom is using a map, she turns it so it's in the direction that she's going.  And a few years ago my family was driving down to visit my aunt in Virginia, and my Mommom mentioned that whenever she's driving downhill, she feels like she's going south, and when she is driving uphill she feels like she is going north.

And I knew what she meant because I automatically assume that whatever direction I am driving is is north.  South is behind me, east is to my right, and west to my left.

In fact, as I was writing this post in my head while driving, I came to an intersection with this sign.



And to me, that just does not make sense.  If I am turning left, I am turning west.

I scheduled a meeting with coworkers this week and I sent an email out with directions to the office and the most convenient parking garage.  People were driving in from all over, but in my mind I assumed that they were all coming via the exact route I take.  And so I said, "When you're on 69th Street, turn left onto Chestnut Street (just past the Foot Locker) and the parking lot will be on the left."

And a (male) coworker emailed me back and said, "Assuming we're driving which direction on 69th Street?"

I DON'T KNOW.  THAT'S WHY THERE'S GOOGLE MAPS.

AND COMPASSES.

My sub par spatial reasoning skillz do not stop with driving.  When I was in college, I had a terrible ear infection and called home for medical advice and a healthy dose of sympathy.  I talked to my mom, and I presumed that she was in the living room.  When she asked me which ear hurt, I said, "Well, I guess it depends which couch you're sitting on."

Yes, because that would make a difference.

So all that to say Matt won spatial reasoning.

The second section was all about following directions and Matt and I are both Big Time Rule Followers.  If there is a rule, we follow it.  But I edged him out in the scenarios, so the game was tied up.

The third and final section was about memory.  I hate to brag but I am a memory WHIZ.  I remember everything, so it came as no surprise that I won each and every memory quiz and then gloated about how girls are the best and my fantastic memory put me over the edge.

Notably, there was no section on humility.

And then, because today is Thrifty Thursday, Matt decided to set up automatic payments for my student loan.  I prefer to go to the student loan website and pay my loan manually each month, because then I know it was done, and done correctly.  I don't trust automatic payments for the same reason I don't trust the check deposit app on my phone, and still prefer to take my checks to the bank and hand them to the teller like it's 2003.

Anyway, it turns out you get a discount for automatic payments so I agreed that we should give it a go because somebody's gotta put the thrifty in Thrifty Thursday.  And when I got out of the shower this morning I had a text from Matt that said, "What's your six digit pin for your student loan?"

"I don't use a pin," I said, "I just log in with my username and password."

"You should have an account pin too though.  It's six digits.  You probably picked it when you filled out your FAFSA form."

As a lady I hate to give away my age, but let's just say that FAFSA form was filled out NINE YEARS AGO.

MEMORY, DON'T FAIL ME NOW.

It failed me.  I had no idea what my pin was so I had to call and reset it.

Pride comes before the fall.

I'm holding out hope that maybe someone will ask me for directions this week, and I will have the opportunity to redeem myself.

Comments

MilitaryPugWife said…
Lol on directions. That's why God put navigational route guides in cars! I'd just give everyone the address and be like Google it bitch. Hehe
Martha Woods said…
If it makes you feel better, I once forgot my own EMAIL ADDRESS to get into Skype. Not the password, but the address itself. It took me forever to remember it! How embarrassing.
Brittany said…
Ha I love it!! I always think the way I'm heading is north too. And I HATE automatic payments. Hate them.
Corie M said…
You are not alone Laura. I'm not too great with directions and prefer to use land marks/buildings as my guides :)
Baby Sister said…
Yeah....I'm not a fan of spatial reasoning. I can do directions, but only in Utah when I'm surrounded by my mountains. I'm much better at landmarks.
Brittany said…
I'm also deficient in the spacial reasoning arena. Perhaps it's a guy/girl difference? I loathe when my GPS tells me to start going Southeast on Maple St. That means absolutely nothing to me.
Traci said…
You don't know how good this post makes me feel. I'm not alone!!! I'm still getting picked on by my family for responding with "It depends which way you're facing" when asked if you go north or south. The check depositing app is the best thing ever!!!!!
I'm so old that I don't think there was a pin associated with FAFSA when I applied.

I am the same with directions - first, horrible with them and having no sense of them, but the same meaning if I'm turning left it's west, etc.
Sarah said…
We are in the SAME EXACT DIRECTIONS CLUB. If there's anything that confuses me it's when someone (usually Mom who is good with directions) starts spouting off directions using east, west, etc instead of right, left, or straight. I too am always driving north. That may explain why I routinely got lost in the town I lived in for 21 years. I still don't have a grasp on which highway is 95 and which is 195.