Friday, April 1, 2016

all because i'm high maintenance

Matt wasn't feeling well last night so he went to bed a little early and I decided to hang out in my office to paint my nails and watch one more episode of The West Wing because I'm about at the point where I'm ready to write in Jed Bartlett for president on my actual ballot in November.

As I was watching President Bartlett give the State of the Union and applying a second coat of OPI's "Ce-less-tial is More," I heard a tremendous crashing sound.

I couldn't tell where it came from, but obviously it meant someone had broken into our house.  I sat so still in my chair for about ten seconds, and then I did what any reasonable 27 year old woman would do and RAN to the bedroom, woke Matt up, gave him a whisper version of what happened and requested that he check the doors/windows/closets to locate the intruder.

After he stared at me for a few seconds, he got up out of bed and did just that.  I stood in a safe spot at the top of the stairs, and after a few minutes Matt turned the corner and said, "Well, there's officially no one in this house but us."

After he checked out front for a getaway car, we both went to bed.

And then this morning I went into the shower and found this.

It appears my intruder was just an over-filled shower caddy.

I guess I didn't buy one that was equipped to handle all of my products.

Tonight at dinner we talked about the "break-in" and Matt said, "I don't think robbers typically break in to a house at 10:00 at night.  When all the lights are on."

YOU NEVER KNOW.

And today I'm buying a new shower caddy.

And maybe a home alarm system.

22 comments:

Emily Jane said...

Don't feel too bad, I had a similar experience in my own house, except it was the shower curtain rod that fell instead of the caddy. My reaction was 100% the same LOL

Mary Leigh said...

Laughed out loud. I would have totally had the same reaction though. It's scary when you don't know where the loud sound is coming from!

Lauren Honeycutt said...

Lololol!!! I would have done the same thing!!!!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

It's so loud, right? This has happened to me more than once. Product overload!

Rebecca Jo said...

We had someone break into our house - legit - like it set our alarm off ... I woke up straight out of bed & ran right into the shower & hid...my hubs still laughs at that. Like that's the worst place to run to...
... your shower being brought up made me think of that :) haha...
what i'm getting at - get a house security alarm :) & use your shower caddy for protection should you run & hide there

P!nky said...

Men don't get it.....loud noises are scary!

Evelina said...

I get SO scared when I hear weird noises in my house! For the first year after moving in here, I had Mike checking the house all the time. I was convinced someone was plotting to kill us in our sleep! So glad to hear that you guys are safe and that your shower caddy is being replaced for a more trustworthy one haha!
Evelina @ Fortunate House

Kaitlyn Danielle said...

Hahaha awe, poor thing. Isn't it crazy how you just freeze for a second? You're like, ahh. What do I do?! Matt doesn't seem very amused lol.

Julie said...

We are moving soon and I can totally see me doing this. It'll be interesting!

Martha Woods said...

Don't feel bad! When we moved into our new house it came with a fridge with an auto ice maker...well, I'd never had one of those before so I didn't realize how loud it was in the middle of the night. The first night there I was in the basement all by myself painting when I heard (what seemed like) a very loud crashing sound upstairs, and I froze in panic thinking someone was breaking in through the kitchen door. Nope, just the ice maker kicking on! How embarrassing.

Baby Sister said...

Ugh, I am the same way. And it's magnified by the fact that Hubby works nights. It's awful!

I hope your new shower caddy behaves!

aki! said...

This actually happens so much to me! But my apartment is smaller and I can realize what has happened and go back to sleep.

7% Solution

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Girl, I CRACKED UP when I saw that picture you posted on Insta of the shower caddy. I can't even tell you how many times that's happened to us AND IT SCARES THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

Liz Jo said...

that is literally 1000% what I do with Kyle every single time I hear something strange (usually it's Fluffy jumping down from the couch....)

And I totally agree with being alert! Who knows, someone could just break in. Also having all the lights on does not mean someone isn't going to try (just trying to make your feelings feel very valid here!)

liz @ j for joiner

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

oh my goodness!! this is terrifying and hilarious. i'd have done the same thing. i hear things at night and i always make KC get up and check. he gets cranky but hey, one day it could be a real thing and then you'd be sorry you didn't get up and check!

BLovedBoston said...

haha i can't tell you how many times I've heard a loud thud from my products falling from somewhere! xo, Biana BlovedBoston

Lauren said...

But it is scary! I wonder why as women we are more than willing to let our husband who we claim to love go and face the burglars while we stay cozy in bed? I do the SAME thing and I feel a little guilty but not since it seems so natural?!

Robyn Proctor Hinkle said...

This is a good reminder for me to throw out my almost empty shampoo bottles haha

Simply A Rough Draft said...

This is sooo me! I can't tell you how many times I've woken up my husband because of noises I hear! On a side note, I've never watched The West Wing. It's always sounded interesting?though...

Faith said...

Hahaha, this is so me. Any sound I hear that is out of the norm equals a burglar. I freak out so bad and poor Sean is left roaming the house until I am convinced no one is in the house, lol.

Kait said...

Okay so admittedly I laughed out loud at this, but only because I do this to Dane ALL THE TIME! You can never be too careful ;)

Giovanni said...

Sorry to hear about the break in scare. That shower caddy is just like mine it doesn't take heavy loads and always falls off. I might go heavy duty soon and get an actual shelf installed. Glad you are safe and there was no real break in. Please stay well and do share more through your blog, god bless, thanks.

Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware