an Easter ham(mock)

On Sunday, I made my final student loan payment.

Hallelujah.

And on Monday, I quit my job.

JUST KIDDING.

But wait until you hear what we did do on Monday.  For a long time we've had our eye on something, and finally decided to pull the trigger (or press the 'buy now' button) on the item this week after the last loan was paid off.  

The item?  A hammock.  I know, so fancy.

I had dreams of lying out in the yard on a warm afternoon with a book and a glass of iced tea and eating a tomato picked right off the vine, still warm from the sun, swinging away in my hammock.

We've actually discussed the hammock purchase since last summer, and at first we thought maybe we would put two concrete posts in the yard to hang the hammock from, since we don't have any conveniently spaced trees.  I can't tell you how many evenings Matt and I wandered around the backyard while he said, "So, where do you want me to put you?  I could you put you over there by the raspberry bushes so you can get some sun.  Or if you want part shade I'll put you over by the bird feeder."  I don't know why but that always cracked me up.

Anyway, the following morning I still riding high on the loan payoff and decided to treat myself to a celebratory Starbucks like I was a Rockefeller or something.  While I was in line, Matt texted me that the hammock had been delivered.

I was working from home, so I my iced cinnamon almondmilk macchiato and I drove home excitedly to see the hammock.  But, it wasn't there.  A search of the tracking number showed that it had been delivered and placed under the mailbox, but the only thing I could see under the mailbox was a hydrangea that I'm hoping will come back to life this year with a little hope and a lot of Miracle Gro.

I ended up calling the good old United States Postal Service, only to feel like I was about to incur more student debt because you practically need a Ph.D. to figure out how to speak to an actual person.

Finally, I just kept yelling "AGENT! AGENT! AGENT!" to all of the voice prompts until I got a human.  The woman I spoke with said, "Hmm.  I hope this is all just a big mistake.  But you should know that sometimes the postal carrier marks the item delivered before it is actually delivered."

Well, that makes complete sense.

She gave me an incident number and told me to call back in three days if the hammock hadn't shown up, so that was 43 minutes well spent.



Lo and behold, around 3:00, the hammock arrived.

Damaged.

I hoped for the best and summoned all my herculean strength and took that bad boy out to the yard and put it together.  I only got about 90% finished because I could not get the rope to stretch to the other side.


Matt stretched it when he got home, and I set to work tying on the cushion and pillow.

And then the tie for the pillow came right off.

HAMMOCKS ARE SO RELAXING.

Finally we got it all set up and I went for an inaugural swing.  Despite the rocky start, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.





Comments

Robin said…
I dont know if this is true, but I read that some companies will transfer you to a live person faster if you shout "F--- this" or something else with profanity. I bet you were about ready to do that anyway.
Danielle said…
You crack me up! The way you have it titled... do you pronounce it ham-mock or ham-mick? Because if it's the former then you are the only other person besides myself that I've ever encountered who pronounces it as such!
Wow, congrats on the loans! I'll be about 90 when mine are done. -.-
Brianne said…
You're hilarious! Congrats on the student loans & the hammock! At first I thought the loans were the bigger feat but after reading that hammock struggle I'm not so sure anymore. I'm jealous of both! Well, not the struggle part... happy Easter weekend!
Michelle said…
Hahaha!! Why is it that the most anticipated items are the ones that cause the most stress? May all your hammocks trouble be over.
Final loan payment...so exciting! And is there really anything better than a hammock? Glad it showed up! :)
rooth said…
Congratulations! And is it not absurd when they mark it delivered when it hasn't been? Amazon does that and then a few days later it'll show up... bizarre
You are a trip! I LOATHE calling USPS. It should be perfect hammock weather this weekend.
Rebecca Jo said…
I got an email saying my package was delivered... & it wasn't... & thenlooked back & it says, "its delivered April 17" - WHAT>... Postage lives in the future.

I am a hammock girl so I'm so jealous of your new friend. There's nothing better than a book in a hammock on a beautiful day.
Bekah Walsh said…
Congrats on your payoff!

I too am a hammock lover. I prematurely bought mine but seem to end up in housing with no outdoor space in which to enjoy it. Someday.

(Boo USPS!)
Sarah DeWald said…
What an exciting week!!

I just got a hammock for my birthday and I can't wait to relax in it this summer too!
Emily said…
Congrats on paying off your student loans...that's a huge relief. What a debacle with the hammock and now that it's up, it looks perfect for some Spring and Summer relaxing.
Nadine Lynn said…
Yay for getting that loan paid off!!! I laughed so hard at "ive come to an impasse". The hammock looks so fun though! Hope you have a great weekend!
Kelly said…
What an ordeal! Worth it in the end though. Lounging in the hammock all summer with a book and iced tea sounds ideal.
Faith said…
I want a hammock badly! But we don't have appropriately spaced tress either. I'm going to look into what you have!

And woo-hoo for paying off your student loans! I can't wait until mine are paid off. I'll be a millionaire! ;)
Congrats on your student loan payoff!! That's awesome! I love the hammock idea, but it gets way, way, way too hot here... so I would probably use it for like a day. Or get attacked by bees. Because that's what happens to me. LOL
So we have about a gazillion hammocks because my Dad seems to feel he really needs an awesome hammock every summer and then gets over it in 0.000002 seconds - but I LOVE THEM! Seriously, soaking up the sun in a hammock with a book is heaven in my books!

Your conversation with Matt about the hammock placement totally sounds like someone talking to a plant, haha! :P

Amie said…
Yay for a hammock! I want one too and have for a while so I may just go for it!!
Audrey Louise said…
Whoa... We used to have a hammock when I was a kid but never a cushion for it. That looks AWESOME!
And now I feel like we need a hammock. I'm going to go set a financial goal and then put a hammock as my "trophy" for achieving it! :D
Why can't they just mark it delivered AFTER it has actually been delivered? Clearly I've been there. LOL

Our hammock is still in a box from last year.
As much as I prefer online shopping for everything, we have the worst issues with shipping and USPS is the worst. I've had a similar experience where online it said there was a failed delivery attempt, which wasn't true, and it ended up being the same thing where the person just put that down?? The woman swore it was being held at a certain location, only when I called that location they told me it was a retail store and they don't even hold packages. So annoying. So glad your hammock finally arrived and you were able to set it up-- it looks so comfortable with the cushion!
Marie said…
Congrats on paying off your loans, that is so wonderful. That hammock looks awesome. Nothing like lying on one on a nice summer's evening.
Jen Mc said…
LOL! Sorry....
First, congrats on being student loan free!
Second, we have a hammock on a stand. And I will vouch that that final stretch is tough but I have finally gotten the hang of how to. I LOVE laying in that thing and reading/napping. Enjoy my dear!