Tuesday, September 13, 2011

i will certainly accept the traditional one year gift of paper

Well, well, well.  Looks like it’s been one whole year since I started this blog.  When I sat down to write the “About Me” section 365 days ago, I wrote a sentence that said, “I graduated from Penn State University in May with an English degree, and now I work in an office and go to school at night for my paralegal certificate, because I will eventually have to earn a living.”  

I don’t talk about my job on here, because I believe in the separation of work and blog.  However, one year later I can change that sentence to “I finished the paralegal program in August, and last week I GOT A JOB AS A PARALEGAL.”
  
I know.  I’m growing up.  Also, there are two people reading this (holla Mom and Dad) that are probably very anxious for the next sentence to change.  You know, the one that says, “I still live at home with my parents.” 
Lucky for them I am still hanging around the homestead, providing them with a frequent covers of eighties songs and also delicious culinary masterpieces.  Well, maybe not so much the culinary masterpiece part. 

Lest you think that a new job is the only big change in my life, I assure you that it is not. There has been some major hair transition as well.  Specifically, my part and the area of my head in which it resides.  I have always parted my hair on the left side of my head. Well, as of last weekend, it’s now on the right.  Although if you are looking at me, it would be your left.  

(One time when I was in college, I had a terrible ear infection.  I called my mom, who was at home, to tell her about it, and she said, “Is it your right ear or your left ear?”  And I said, “Well, it depends on where you’re sitting in the family room.”  AND THAT, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, WAS THE SEMESTER I CHANGED MY MAJOR FROM NURSING TO LIBERAL ARTS!)

Anyway, last weekend I took a leap of follicular faith and switched my part.  And then I visited no less than ten local retail establishments, as per my Saturday tradition, and I COULD NOT STOP thinking about my part.  I found myself checking out my reflection in not only every mirror I walked by, but also in storefront windows and the refrigerator doors in the frozen food section of Wal Mart.  

Actually that’s not really any different than a normal day, because I am a girl who loves to look at herself in a mirror.  Or any reflective surface really.  (See also: vain).  But last weekend I was focused specifically on my part and how it was behaving.  
 
Here is an example of my new hair/part in action. 

 This picture was taken at a sculpture garden in New Jersey that Stacy and I visited this weekend.  The reason we were at the sculpture place is not because we are sophisticated artists, although you might be led to believe that we are by looking at these pictures.


 
 
No, the reason we went was because I couldn’t bring myself to wander aimlessly around Target for the afternoon.  I know.  It’s like I don’t even know who I am anymore.  Admission to the sculpture garden was $12, but since it’s a scientific impossibility to walk out of Target without spending at least twenty bucks, I technically saved money.

Perhaps I should look into moonlighting as an economics professor!

As you can see, with the assistance of some strategic bobby pin placement, my part is adjusting quite well to its new location.

So, a lot has changed in the past twelve months.  And I think the next twelve are going to hold even better things for me and my new job.

And of course my hair.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallaback. Is that one word or two?

Melissa Jo said...

Congrats on the new job, that's so exciting! Especially since it is your desired field. Oh and I'd totally go to the sculpture garden too over target - so much cheaper in the long run!

Kristina said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary! :) You are right - a lot has happened around your blog! Congrats!

Jessica said...

Happy blogiversary! I'm excited to read about the next 12 months! :)

heather said...

that second picture (with the squares) reminds me of the little rock garden by the HUB lawn. i miss the days of finding a random place to relax on campus..

congrats on your job!!

miss you

Amanda said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited for you :) This is great news! you deserve it :)

Stephanie said...

Yay for one year! :)

Jamie Lane said...

Happy one year birthday to your blog and happy birth week to your new part!

Bride-onicles said...

HAHA! Love how you technically saved money!!

Sarah said...

Long may your blog reign!!

(Is the person who left the anonymous comment related to you? ;))

ae said...

Congrats on the job!!! Happy 1 yr Blogoversary! Exciting stuff!