Wednesday, July 24, 2013

i'm don't think i've stopped smiling

For years I've dreamed of marrying someone whose last name was Darling, so that my name could be Laura Darling.  When I began dating Matt I had to put that dream aside because while he has a perfectly fine last name, it's not Darling.

A few weeks ago Matt and I went to an amusement park with some friends.  It's a yearly tradition and in keeping with that tradition, I spent a good portion of the day experiencing roller coasters from my preferred vantage point, a bench.  I am a girl who considers the log flume a thrill ride, and a roller coaster that sends you hurtling through the air at speeds faster than I drive a car is not a roller coaster I need to be on. 

The weekend after our amusement park trip, which was July 4th weekend, Matt and I had plans to go into the city to watch the fireworks on the riverfront.  That happened to be our first official date five years ago.  In fact, here is a picture of us on that date, looking young and adorable and a little too nervous to stand too close to one another.
Matt told me he would pick me up at 5:00, and in a truly unprecedented turn of events, I was ready early.  So I decided to Google roller coaster videos because my curiosity had been piqued the previous weekend and if I couldn't experience them firsthand, at least I could watch some videos and get the general idea.  And that's when I got sucked into a Youtube channel called Front Seat Coasters.  After a few particularly thrilling ones, I began to feel dizzy.  

And my stomach felt funny.

All signs were pointing to motion sickness.  That I had inflicted upon myself.  While watched a roller coaster video in my living room. 

My doorball rang promptly at 4:59 and I hobbled over to open it and Matt greeted me with a huge smile and an enthusiastic hello.  I greeted him with a weak yet dramatic rendition of my motion sickness predicament and a request to delay our departure time for half an hour so that I could get a hold of myself.

And then I laid still on the couch and closed my eyes, and Matt paced around the kitchen and living room and asked me if I needed water and if there was anything he could do and then he paced some more.

After A LOT of pacing, Matt asked me what I did that afternoon and when I told him I straightened my bedroom, he went in and came out with a cup that I hadn't put away.  And then he came out again with flip flops that I hadn't put away.  And when he went in for a third time, I followed him in.

And when I got in there, he was down on one knee.

And he asked me to marry him.


There were some sweet words and a few tears and then he hugged me and I told him, "Now you get to call me your fiancee!"

But, since he isn't a fan of the French, I told him he could also call me "his betrothed."

And he hugged me a little tighter and said, "I'll just call you my darling."

Which is pretty much a dream come true.

Photobucket

52 comments:

Emily said...

AHHHH! Congratulations! :)

Emily said...

AHHHH! Congratulations! :)

Tayler Morrell said...

Congratulations!!!
Our Fairy Tale

P!nky said...

OH HOW SWEET!!!! What an amazing story!!! CONGRATS!

xoxo

K said...

Aww such a cute story! Congrats again!

Karla said...

Ohhh my goodness. Goosebumps reading this!! Congrats again! So happy for you!

Ashley Barnhill said...

Ahh this is so sweet!!

Jackie said...

so sweet! congrats again :)

Mackenzie said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! That "my darling" line had me tearing up! SO happy for you!

Hilary said...

Awww, cute! Congrats again!

Kelly said...

Congrats, my dear!! That is so awesome and I'm soo happy for you. Can't wait to hear all about the wedding plans!

Tamara said...

Such a sweet response!

Love how happy you look in that 2nd picture!

Kayla Peveler said...

Oh my goodness gracious. This is PRECIOUS!!!! :)

Allison said...

This is so exciting!!!! Congrats!!! And I will never be visiting that website. Haha.

Abbey said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So exciting. And adorable. Good work, Matt.

Robin said...

Aaaw...so sweet! :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw! I love this!!! Congrats!

Kristen said...

Adorable!!! Congratulations!

Elise said...

So sweet! Congratulations!

Allison said...

How exciting! Congratulations!

Kailagh said...

This is the cutest thing I have ever heard in my life! :)

xo. Kailagh

Megan said...

SO sweet! I love engagement stories!

blm said...

so sweet!

Chelsea said...

How cool! My fiancé's name is Matt too! Haha congrats!

Reba K. Writes said...

How sweet! He's cute:) And so are you of course!

brooke lyn said...

Stop it. You guys are too cre. Congrats :)

Pamela said...

Awwwwwwwwww so stinkin sweet!!! Absolutely love his last comment!

TheTinyHeart said...

Congratulations!! What an adorable story! I don't go on roller coasters either so I totally relate!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart
Forever 21 Giveaway!

Real College Student of Atlanta said...

HOW CUTE IS THAT! :) so happy for you! great blog!

Kelli @She Crab Soup said...

Oh my goodness how sweet, you made me want to cry with joy for you darling. :)

jackie jade said...

aww this is such a sweet story! and hope your motion sickness cleared up :)
-- jackie @ jade and oak

Sarah said...

So exciting! You have every reason to NOT stop smiling :)

Sarah S. said...

how adorable is that First Date Pic. Congrats again!

Sarah said...

This is THE SWEETEST!!

You do look quite young and nervous and naive in that picture. Matt looks pretty happy to be hanging out with you! ;)

Amanda said...

Congrats on your engagement! I always like to read stories that remind me of my engagement story, how it happened when I least expected it and it wasn't something over the top.

Laura {happily ever} Parker said...

OMG! Yay!! Congratulations how very exciting!! I love that he calls you Darling :)

Cotton and Boots said...

Oh my gosh - LOVE this story. Darling is one of my favorite words. I about swooned when I read his response. Congratulations girl!!

Ashley said...

This is so sweet! Not going to lie... the "my darling" line made me tear up a little! SO happy for you!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

Amazingly, amazingly sweet! Congratulations!!!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness this is the sweetest story ever. So cute. Congratulations!

Life of Whimsy said...

Awwwuhhhh!! Yay, yay!! Now the rollercoaster of wedding planning begins! :)

Lauren said...

What a sweet post! I'm excited to follow along on your wedding planning! Congratulations!

Cece said...

Darling is really an awesome last name!! You better thing long and hard before giving it up. I really liked my maiden name too so I was kinda sad about losing it. Congrats on your engagement!!!

Sarah said...

Oh congrats! Such a great story! Have fun planning your wedding!

Ashley said...

So.stinkin.cute! congrats lady! how exciting! you're someone's betrothed!!

Bethany Stewart said...

I'm going to resist the urge to tell you your blog is darling, because I feel like that pun would be WAY too cheesy...but it is absolutely precious!!! I'm so glad you dropped by my blog so I could find yours! :)

Oh, and congratulations on your engagement! By far, one of the cutest stories I have heard :)

julianna said...

I, of course, read this when you posted {probably the second after you clicked "publish"}, but I'm just now getting the chance to comment. SO SO SO incredibly happy for you!! AHH!!

Sarah said...

ps. I nominated you for a blogging award ;)

Katie said...

This is SO sweet! Congrats Laura!

Baby Sister said...

Oh my gosh how sweet!! I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations again!!

Kristin said...

Love this!!

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

Congrats!! That's so sweet!! Btw my mom had a friend when she was younger named Wendy Darling! I was so jealous bc I love Peter Pan!