gold medal weekend

I didn't have work on Friday, so my mom and I decided to pick my niece up early from daycare because who doesn't love getting a jump start on the weekend?  Unfortunately Annabelle was getting a cold so she was a little under the weather, but we didn't let that get in the way of a fun afternoon.

My brother and sister-in-law have two cats, and sometimes cats bother me and sometimes they don't, allergically speaking.  I was fine the whole day, but on the way home my face started to itch, and by the time my mom dropped me at my house my eyes were swelling shut.  Matt and I originally had big plans to go to Senor Salsa for dinner, but when I walked in, he said, "Wow, what happened to you?" I knew I wouldn't be showing my puffy, red face in public, even for a three cheese burrito.

We decided to order out, and when he asked what I wanted, I said, "I cannot make that decision right now.  I will eat anything."  And then I went upstairs to shower and put on my PJs, and when I came down Matt was walking in the door with a BOX of food.

I guess an order of two cheese steaks (Matt got double steak, double cheese), loaded fries, and mozzarella sticks is when you graduate from the take out bag to the take out box.

Shameful.

We settled in on the couch to watch the opening ceremonies of the games of the thirty first Olympiad but that's a story for another post because I have lots of thoughts on the Olympics.

But here's a teaser.  At one point in the ceremony, there was an interpretive number with dancers weaving fiber optic fabric, which represented something about the earth and creation (I didn't quite catch the meaning because someone was being critical), and it was then that I realized this is our first married Olympics.

And by August 21st we might be in marriage boot camp or we might have a second television.

Or possibly both.

My face was so itchy that I had to take some Benadryl, even though I knew it would make me sleepy.  Thank goodness we were following the Spanish alphabet because I had to go to bed after the Estados Unidos made their entrance.

On Saturday Emily and I went to a flea market to see what we could find.

Do you know what we found?

Old gloves.  By the hundreds.

And old ties.

And some new ones!

But the hardest section to pull Emily away from was the old wigs.

Just kidding, she was totally grossed out even touching this one and as you can tell, wouldn't even bend her arm.

I did find some cool globe bookends.

The flea market is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and as we drove by miles and miles of farmland to get back to the highway, I told Emily, who is in the school of agriculture at Penn State, that she was looking at her future.

For several miles she talked about how much she would like to live in the wilderness, but then she got a look of concern on her face and said, "Umm...maybe there's more civilization the other way."

Yes, and that would be called Philadelphia.

We eventually made our way home, and I haven't left the house since because, Olympics.

Just kidding.

Kind of.

Comments

Julie said…
At least your hubby went and got something to eat - mine would have said we were snacking and that would be that.
LOL @ the box of food. Takeout always simultaneously repulses me and gives me great snarfing it all in joy.

GAHH sometimes the grossest things are found at flea markets.
Kayla MKOY said…
Girl, now all I can think about is a cheesesteak. YUM! The flea market looks awesome. I'm sorry the cat had your eyes all swollen, poor thing!
Rebecca Jo said…
You couldnt have gotten me to even tough one of those wigs... ewww... I just got chills.
That box of food looks so good. I would have eaten it all. Your trip to the flea market sounds really interesting. Who is purchasing old/used wigs?

Ashley // acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
Haha, I've been watching as much of the Olympics as possible. I've been watching events I never even knew were a thing, but hey, #teamUSA! I was concerned when you said she was into flea market wigs. Lol, I'd have to think second before getting one of those. I love flea markets though! You never know what you may walk away with, that's for sure.
Michelle said…
I'm watching the Olympics AS I TYPE and Phelps and Lochte are about to swim. I'm thinking of you as I critique every single move like the champion swimmer I was/am.
Faith said…
Why would anyone sell old wigs? The thought of it alone makes me feel like creepy things are crawling all over my skin. The bookends you found are perfect! They go so great with the books and the brick!

And woo-hoo, congrats on being promoted to a box, haha!
Jenny said…
Oh, I love those bookends. Fun find.
That looks like a box of heaven to me - yum!
Irene Thayer said…
This is so inspiring! I love the post:)

irenethayer.com
Rachel said…
The globe bookends are really cool! I miss flea markets. There was a big estate sale store near our college and Angel and I used to hang out there all the time--though we rarely bought anything. I think our best and most useful find there was an old Bible trivia game which somehow has followed us all the way to Malaysia, since we actually play it with friends pretty often. I've never been to a flea market with a wig collection though, interesting...
Love that you got a whole take out box, haha! The loaded fries sound pretty yummy to me...or maybe I'm just thinking I should send Angel out for some take out tonight...
Jenn said…
Ooh that takeout box sounds to me like you got a winner for a husband. I like the way he thinks. Glad you were still able to see the Olympics! Would you believe I haven't watched the first event? We have no cable. Womp womp. I do enjoy watching everyone else get worked up over it though. ;)
MilitaryPugWife said…
That takeout box is everything!! Yum!!
Angi said…
THE GLOVES. Do people actually buy those? The thought of sticking my hand into something someone else has sweated in grosses me out. Shudder. But those bookends are amazing!!

Shamefully, I have not watched a single second of the Olympics. Not having cable is an issue sometimes.
Traci said…
The box of food looks amazing!!! The Olympics - so many thoughts....
I'm a total dork because I watched the Opening Ceremonies off & on and couldn't figure out why there weren't in alphabetical order. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! Ha!!