putting the brakes on. literally.



Well, this weekend started off with a bang.  

And by that I obviously mean a trip to Target.  
  
Matt and I went to buy a board game, but he wanted to take a look at seeds and bulbs and other assorted garden accessories and I had to grab some milk, so we agreed to separate at first and then reconvene in the board game department. 

Well, guess who showed up to the board game aisle with not only a half a gallon of milk, but also a container of broccoli cheddar soup, gift wrap, and a bag of miniature bell peppers.

I’m telling you, that Matt is always going crazy in Target.

Oh, I kid.  

It was me.   

I could justify all of my purchases except for the miniature bell peppers.  I had no real need for them but they were just so adorable I couldn’t resist.
After we picked out a game and paid, we were on our way.  Until we got into the car and Matt realized his blood sugar was low (he has diabetes), so we made a pit stop at the grocery store on the way home.  I waited in the car while he ran in with two dollars and returned a few minutes later with a candy bar and a Spicy Nines lottery ticket.

Wow.

 He is unpredictable.

He is also in the same tax bracket he was in before the Spicy Nines purchase, because unfortunately it was not a winner.

I try to keep this blog profanity free because HI MOM AND DAD, but the game we bought at Target was called Smart Ass.  It’s a funny game for a group, and what made it even funnier was that in an effort to censor himself, Matt called it Smart Beep.   

It’s a trivia game, but there is a board with a few spots with special directions.  

Dumb ass, move back three spaces.   

Hard ass, you get to answer a bonus question.  

It lost some of the effect when Matt would say “HAHA YOU LANDED ON DUMB BEEP, MOVE BACK THREE.”

On Saturday I woke up at the crack of 11:30, and after lunch I drove to Matt’s so he could replace the front brakes on my car.  

Here’s a word to the wise.  You should probably not wait until after your boyfriend has removed your entire front wheel AND brake system to ask him “So, how many times have you changed brakes before?”  

Because he might tell you that this is the first time he’s ever done it, and that may or may not cause you to go into a panic, and you may or may not have to go inside and lay on the couch and watch HGTV until it’s all over.
 
I’m not speaking from experience or anything.

After my car was back in one piece, we took it for a spin to test the new brakes and so Matt could check out my gas pedal.  As I mentioned in my last post, my foot has been especially tired while driving lately, leading me to believe that there’s an issue with my gas pedal.  

Matt drove fast and slow and with cruise control and without and on highways and side streets and stopped suddenly and went up hills and around corners and after he tested every possible driving scenario, he turned to me and said, “Well, your car is working just fine.  There is nothing wrong with your gas pedal.  

What he probably wasn’t expecting was for me to say, “OH NO. WELL THEN WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG WITH MY FOOT?”


Listen.  God bless Matt.  It must be exhausting to date me.

That’s when he drove us to the river and we got OUT OF THE CAR and walked and walked along the water and enjoyed the springtime weather, the warmest and sunniest we’ve had in months. 
 
We found the dam and then Matt chased some geese and also communicated with them in a very realistic geese honk that he evidently perfected during hunting season.  
 If I closed my eyes, I couldn’t tell which honks were Matt’s and which were the actual geese.

Ladies, he’s all mine. 

Says the girl who does a mean dial tone imitation.


It eventually started to get chilly, so we got back in the car and went for a ride, which is one of my very favorite things to do.  We rode all around in one of the most affluent suburbs and looked at all the fancy homes and picked up flyers for any that were for sale.  
If only Matt had a winning Spicy Nines ticket, this little shack could be his.


And now, it's time for a brand new week.  

I am THRILLED that we now have an extra hour of daylight.  I plan to take lots of evening walks.  

Hopefully they make my foot stronger.  I'd like this gas pedal/tired foot situation will be resolved once and for all.

Comments

Paige Brown said…
The fun part is my boyfriend is the one who goes nuts in Target...not that I don't love Target. But if I let him, he'd come home with new stuff every week!!
Robin said…
This post made me giggle...haha...y'all seem to have a lot of fun little adventures. It's pretty cool that he can fix your car on the first try and honk like a goose.
Baby Sister said…
Mini bell peppers are the best!! Your stories always make me laugh. I'm glad he didn't break your car. ;)
K said…
Haha you crack me up. Your shopping style is like mine. My husband made the mistake of asking me if I wanted to go to Walmart with him. He needed a bucket and some Simple Green. We left with two buckets, two types of Simple Green, a dog bed, and spray paint. He was NOT thrilled. Whoops! Glad your car is OK, sorry your foot it tired (PS I know EXACTLY what you are talking about)
ae said…
My best friends and I bought Smart Ass last weekend! Such a fun game to play!
The Pink Growl said…
I hate that we lost an hour of sleep but I will definitely take that for longer daylight time. It was a gorgeous weekend here too! Glad you had a good one!
Chloe said…
I love this post. You're too cute and super hilarious! And good god that house was ridiculously expensive! I might have choked when I read that!
Sarah said…
Christopher gave me that game for our anniversary last year. (He was very creative with the paper themed gifts.) I call it the Smart Donkey game. I'm embarrassed to admit the number of questions I didn't know the answer to. I usually hem and haw a while before saying, "Well,I DO know the answer, I just can't think of it right now." I should just say flat out that I have no idea the answer. Obviously I'm not a very smart donkey.
Traci said…
We have that game too!
Wow it sounds like you had a good/busy weekend! And I do agree that sometimes when situations are too stressful hibernating and watching HGTV can just solve everything. :-)
Whitney Cypert said…
You are so funny! I loved this post. I always try not to say any curse words on my blog either because my parents read too. And my parent's in law! Lol Garrett and I always go to Target for board games, we will have to try that one out! Glad you had a great weekend!
Xo,
Whitney
http://keepingupwiththecyperts.blogspot.com
Jamie Sefcik said…
Oh Target, you can never go wrong with Target!
Sunny & Star said…
Too bad the lottery ticket wasn't a winner. I occasionally purchase a lottery ticket and cross my fingers but I've not had any luck yet either. I love going to Target. I always spend so much money when I go there though. Your new board game sounds like lots of fun.

Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights
Aww he sounds like a real keeper! Love your photos! Also, if you love trivia games, Gilbert and I play a game called Bezzerwizzer. It's awesome!
KrissyGirl said…
Target, I go nuts in that store! My fiance has to pull me out the door :)

And the weather!!! I took FULL advantage of it. So glad the snow is almost gone :) The river looks so pretty...looks like one we have around here!!

New follower, I'd love for you to stop by!

happinessisntadestination.blogspot.com
Cece said…
I've never heard of Spicy Nine's. We don't have that where we are. I'm notorious for picking up things i didn't go in the store for. It's like i can't stop myself. 55 is warm? Oh boy. I'm loving the extra daylight also.
Neri said…
Following because I LOVE this post! So funny!! Dumb beep!! My husband also uses my car for all his "car fixing firsts." So far, so good.

neri

www.sparklingwithsneakers.com
Amanda said…
Mini bell peppers?! How cute are those! Gotta love Target.
P!nky said…
BAHAHA, that comment, hilarious!

xoxo
My mom tried to get me to be healthier this weekend and to buy those exact miniature bell peppers. She says she puts them in a veggie wrap!
Allison said…
I always walk out of Target with way more than I go in for. And I love hearing about new board games!!
Jenn said…
Boys are the best, aren't they? My Hubby is going to change my brake in the next few weeks. Brakes are just so damn expensive!
Mrs. Pancakes said…
The changing tire story is hilarious!!! Looks like an awesome weekend!
Jessica Gehman said…
You're not the only one that drives around and looks at fancy houses, pinkie promise. Although our favorites tend to be in Chester and Bucks County - I am not biased against anything with a gate and/or a detached 3 car garage :)
Jenna said…
I just love this post. I totally have the same problem at Target. I mean, don't we all?
Jaime Hungry said…
Ha! I just love the way you write! You can't go wrong with the mini bell peppers, they are SO delicious. Also, if I could have any kind of boyfriend it would be a car fixing boyfriend. I've been tempted to try replacing my own brakes just because I despise paying for it. You seem to have lucked out!
hahaah I hate for my husband to fix anything becasue I sadly believe he can't hahaha. I am so paranoid of car problems that he does not get to touch anything!! sounds like a great weekend and if you liked Samrt Ass, try Cards Against Humanity...sooo bad!! but FUNNY!!!
Lisa said…
I call it the Black Hole of Target because I can never get out of there just getting what was on my list...I always end up with a cart full fo who knows what. I love that place :)

And you guys are brave to change brakes! I would be terrified, ha
Caily Myers said…
Miniature bell peppers are my favorite! Love your blog :)
Enoch Ross said…
I’m sorry, but I couldn’t stop laughing when I read about the car brakes being replaced. I went through the same thing when my brother offered to replace mine, except it was ESPN and not HGTV. I was wary to take it out for a drive after he had it fixed, but everything worked fine. My mechanic even praised his work when I took the car in for an oil change.