matt gets all the credit for figuring out the metro

Last weekend Matt and I took a little trip to Washington, D.C.  I was in charge of the itinerary and Matt was in charge of the navigating, which was a combination that worked out perfectly.  Except for the time I took charge of the map in an attempt to lead us to the Air and Space Museum and we ended up at some strange sculpture exhibition and I had to act like it was a totally intentional stop on our tour.


The first thing we did on Thursday was visit Arlington National Cemetery.  Well, technically the first thing we did was eat lunch, which took place at a diner where I ate a fantastic sausage egg and cheese biscuit and Matt ate chocolate chip pancakes because IT'S NEVER TOO LATE FOR BREAKFAST.  Then it was on to Arlington.  Matt had never been there and I hadn't been since I was about ten years old, and it was quite an experience.     

We spent several hours there, and then stopped by the Air Force Memorial on the way to our hotel.  

 When we arrived we went swimming for a little bit because because I LOVE to swim and how often can you have handstand contests with your fiance on rooftop pools in Washington D.C.?

After our swim, Matt and I planned to get ready for dinner and go out for cheeseburgers to continue on our healthy eating kick, but we hit a bit of a road block when I made a tragic discovery.

I had forgotten all of my makeup.  ALL. OF. IT.  I didn't even have so much as a chapstick to my name.

I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror for about ten minutes trying to convince myself it would be okay to go without for a few days, but in the end vanity prevailed and we made a pit stop at a grocery store on the way to dinner so that I could get myself some mascara for goodness sake.

Matt had zero desire to browse the makeup section with me while I picked up the must haves, so he told me he was going to grab a few necessities and then he would come find me when he was finished.  Apparently we both have liberal interpretations of the word necessity because ten minutes later Matt appeared with his: a six pack of Sam Adams' pumpkin ale, Triscuits, and a can of Easy Cheese.

Well happy vacation, indeed.

On Friday Matt and my perfectly made up self spent the morning at the National Zoo and then metro'd it over to the National Mall where we saw the Washington Monument, the Roosevelt Memorial, and then went back to the hotel because MY FEET, DID I MENTION THEY WERE KILLING ME?  


 
 


 

We came back into the city in the early evening and took the last tour of the day at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing because we are fascinated with how money is made.  

After we got our tickets I said to Matt, "So, do you think they'll be giving out any free samples?" because I am so clever and witty.  And then the tour started and the first thing the tour guide said was, "I'll start off by answering the most common question I get.  No, there are no free samples."

Well.  

I guess I'm not as creative and original as I thought.

On Saturday we joined half of the world on the National Mall and saw all of the major monuments and memorials, the White House, the Air and Space Museum, the Museum of American History, the Capitol, the Library of Congress, the American Indian Museum, the National Archives, and the Supreme Court.




Later in the evening we went out in Arlington for my birthday dinner.  We walked up and down the streets and looked at the shops and the high rise apartments and the restaurants, and didn't pick a place to eat until 9:00.  How wild and crazy.  When we sat down I got a fun, fruity drink, and then when the waiter came to take our orders and I got shepherd's pie.  

What can I say? I'm a 95 year old in a 25 year old's body and I like meals that are all in one dish.

I woke up on Sunday morning to Matt singing a dramatic, heartfelt rendition of Happy Birthday, and holding a slice of cheesecake.

Not a bad way to ring in 25.



Comments

Charlotte Hayes said…
Ahh I went to college in DC - this post just made me so nostalgic. Glad you had an amazing time, you hit so many of the good places!

<3, Charlotte
Angela said…
Sounds like a great trip and birthday to me! :)
Rachel said…
Happy birthday!! That sounds like an awesome weekend getaway! On our most recent short trip....I forgot a comb. And I did survive, though my curls might have showed a little more 'personality' than usual....
Amanda said…
Sounds like a fun trip! I would love to go back to DC again, I've been there three times but my husband has never been!
Jackie said…
Sounds like you had a great vacation and a great birthday :)
The Pink Growl said…
You are so pretty! DC is an amazing place to visit - so much to do and see!
Pamela said…
AH. You are making me want to go back to DC EVEN MORE! Glad you two had fun! :)
Kristin said…
Loving all your pictures! Making me want to go that way and see all the sights again
Sarah said…
I love that you went to the zoo! In my mind no vacation is complete without visiting the local animal headquarters. Which means many of our trips have not been complete because someone I travel with doesn't enjoy zoos like I do.

You and Matt are the cutest couple! :)
KatyK said…
Gosh I haven't been to DC in ages. Seems like a pretty fun trip, and if I forgot my makeup I'd have to pick up at least my daily wear which is mascara and blush. I just can't live without them.
Christelle said…
Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great weekend and cute picture of the two of you!

I need to make it back to DC and see several of the places you mentioned...so many to see!
julianna said…
That sounds like a perfect birthday celebration and a fantastic trip as well! :) Happy {belated} birthday!
Jessica said…
sounds like an amazing birthday! i went to college in dc and loved it! you guys did it right, too and hit the good stops. i loved the zoo but didn't end up going until my senior year!
Erin said…
glad you guys had fun in DC! It is one of my fave places. and happy birthday :)
Anna said…
wow this sounds like an amazing trip! I would love to go to DC!
Courtney B said…
What an amazing trip! I want to go there so badly someday!
And I'm never in charge of the maps. Ever. In fact, GPS has saved our marriage countless times, HA!
And that last picture of you two is my favorite! Stunning!
Brett said…
How fun! I love little get away weekends like this, you got some cute pics :)
Shadia Brown said…
Love your blog! I would be dying without makeup too!! Good thing you can find that stuff pretty much anywhere nowadays at least the essentials :)
I visit my best friend in DC pretty frequently (she goes to med school at Georgetown), but I never go see the sights. I went on a class trip when I was twelve and, for some reason, usually decide that's good enough. After seeing your pictures, I definitely will need to explore next time I am there.

I can't face the world without mascara either :-)
Heidi said…
Happy Birthday! I loved seeing all your DC pictures are hearing your recap! I am going to DC this weekend! :) I would have done the same if I didn't have my make up!
Candace said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I have NEVER been to D.C., which I suppose makes me a naughty, unpatriotic American. But, it's one of the next vacations on the docket for the hubs and I. Looks like you had an amazing time! Love it! :)
Mackenzie said…
Holy cow, you did the zoo and the mall in one day? And then the mall again the next day? No wonder your feet hurt! You're braver than I for that one. :)
Alexa said…
Ah I love DC. Actually this post makes me want to visit again. Arlington is such a beautiful place!
Vett Vandiver said…
what a beautiful visit and photos! great blog!
Sarah said…
What a fun time!

Was the zoo worth it or was it kind of like any other zoo?
Allison said…
You two are so cute together! I would have died without makeup too.. everyone needs a little bit sometimes ;)

When my boyfriend and I started dating, he would eat cheese in a can and crackers too! Gross me out!
Stephanie said…
Great photos! I would love to visit DC some day!
Katie said…
I've only been there once, but didn't see many monuments. One of these days I'd love to get back there!!

xo,
Katie
hellolittlebean.com
The Lady Okie said…
I want to go to DC so bad! It's on my bucket list :) And yes, it's never too late for breakfast!
Cece said…
You had a much better time in DC then we did. It poured rain when we were there! So far I've never forgotten my make up on vacation. What a shock that must have been! Glad you had fun. Oh, and my hubby loves Shepard's Pie. It's actually pretty good but I really don't like the name.
Becky said…
You were in my city!! Looks like a great trip! I think you may have seen more attractions than I have haha. Waking up to cheesecake on your birthday has to be pretty great :)
Bri Buzali said…
Great pictures! I love D.C. I want to go back now that I'm older and can appreciate the history better!
Kim Brown said…
Whoo hoo, sounds like you did EVERYTHING in a short time!!!! I have forgot my makeup before and it's the pits!
Sarah Smith said…
Looks like a blast! Happy belated birthday! August birthdays are the best!
DC can be so great! I love the Thomas Jefferson monument.
Baby Sister said…
I've been to DC once, but I so want to go back and see ALL of it. Also, I so would have gone and bought more makeup too.