tired

Well, Matt and I have been married for two months today.  And in those two months of marriage we have purchased four new car tires which, let's be honest, is a pace we cannot keep up. 

On Tuesday I drove to a meeting about an hour and a half away.  The drive to the meeting was uneventful, but as I approached my highway exit on the way home, the low tire pressure light on my dashboard started flashing.

I guess I should have known something was amiss when I was singing along to the radio several miles earlier and it sounded like someone was pounding on my chest as I sang.  Here I thought I'd finally perfected my vibrato a la Carrie Underwood, but in reality it was a sign of a flat tire.  

Hindsight is 20/20.

I got off the exit and pulled right into the parking lot of an office complex.  I called Matt, and when he answered I said, "Hey, my low tire pressure light came on.  So I got off the turnpike and I'm now parked in a parking lot.  What do you think I should do?"

And he said, "Well, do you have a flat tire?"

"I don't know,"  I said.  "I didn't get out and look at the tires."

Note to self: When your low tire pressure light comes on, the first step is to get out of the car and actually look at your tires.

I performed a full four point inspection and while I didn't see an obvious flat, I heard what I thought was air hissing out of a small hole in the driver's side rear.  Matt wanted to come and change it but since he was an hour away and we pay for roadside assistance with our insurance, I called roadside.  And while I waited for the mechanic to arrive, I watched my tire flatten into a pancake.

And half an hour later an ancient, white, dented, beat up van that said "Home Improvement, Inc, NEW YORK" came pulling up to me and my little Ford Focus.  It was like the start of a horror movie, because 1-beat up white van, and 2-I was expecting a tow truck from Pennsylvania, not a home improvement truck from New York.  But the man in the van was very nice and had a tire jack with him so I guess he was legitimate.  He told me I had a nail in my tire, so he put my spare on and I headed slowly off to Pep Boys for a plug.


At Pep Boys, I told the man at the desk I wanted my tire plugged and handed over my keys.  And ten minutes later one of the mechanics came into the waiting room and said, "Hello miss, I looked at your car and I actually recommend four new tires.  The ones you have are six years old."

Little did he know that I am NO EASY SELL.

"First of all, the car is only five years old and these aren't the original tires.  Second of all, I'm not here to buy new tires today.  I don't understand how everything was going along fine and I hit one nail and suddenly all four tires are bad.  I'd like the tire plugged and that's it for today, thank you."

Well, Mr. Mechanic came back in a few minutes later and told me that due to the way the nail punctured the tire, a plug wouldn't hold.  Half of me thought he was telling the truth and half of me thought he was trying to make a few hundred bucks out of the deal, so I called Matt again and he told me to just go ahead and get the two new tires because MY SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT.

PRECIOUS CARGO.

And that's how I became the owner of a lovely set of Hancook tires for the moderate performance driver, because apparently the tire salesman and I have differing ideas of what constitutes a high performance driver.  

I naturally consider myself a very high performance driver because I have an almost perfect driving record and I use those turn signals like a boss.  The salesman considers a high performance driver someone who drives at speeds in excess of one hundred miles per hour on a regular basis in a car with sport handling.

Tomayto, tomahto.

And so instead of a fancy dinner date for our two monthiversary, we gazed out into the parking lot at all of our new tires, and had a music night where we played all of our favorite songs and made a giant batch of chocolate chip cookies.

And when I went to light the candle for dinner, I saw this written in the wax.


The best things in life are free.


Photobucket

Comments

The Lady Okie said…
Do I have tire stories for you. Long story short, we had to buy SIX new tires within the pan of four month. And two of them were tires for a Dodge Ram. Expensive. Stupid tires! I'm with you.
Emily said…
Sorry to hear about the tire, but glad you were able to get new ones. Happy 2 months. I recently had to get four new ones. :/
Shenine joon said…
Awww your little more in the wax is so cute! I swear when car issues come up I feel like ik being robbed of my hard earned cash m I always think about all the things I could have bought with that money. But its good that you will be safe on the road ;)
Emily said…
It is a pace that will be hard to keep up, but it's the pace y'all have started so...

the best things are free! or cost as much as ingredients to make the best chico chip cookies. Happy two months!
Ashlee said…
Happy 2 Month Anniversary!! :)

What a cute and funny story! Glad it all turned out well too.

-Ashlee Michelle
Blogger Ash said…
I love how supportive he is!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
Brittany said…
No, I'm not crying because of the candle. That would be weird...
Brittany said…
I love that you spelled tomayto and tomahto as you did. That is brilliant and the saying makes so much more sense in writing like that.
scrapperjen said…
Don't you love those little surprises!
Sorry about all the tire purchases...
Baby Sister said…
Yuck!! I'm sorry. We had to buy 4 new tires when we moved to Iowa and that was no fun!! I feel your pain. But that candle writing, that's adorable. :)
Paige Gunter said…
I had to laugh when I read this. My light came on a month before our wedding and I asked the dealership to put air in the tires when I visited the week of the wedding. They didn't. I asked the auto care place that detailed my car 2 days before the wedding. They didn't. I mentioned it to my husband & he forgot until we had been married for 2 weeks. At that point he was in a panic about it too because it had taken so long. Thank goodness it was just regular maintenance and not a nail in our tire! I hate dealing with maintenance men when it comes to cars. I know they see "Sucker" written across my forehead, lol.
Stan said…
That sounds like such a wonderful night. It is too often that we forget about the little things. We try to outdo ourselves and go big and fancy when it just seems to cause stress and fights. Our goal these past years has been to find something that is meaningful and special, regardless of cost, instead of something just expensive.

Stan @ Jim O'Neal Ford