Monday, March 14, 2016

next time i'm hoping for a convertible

I've had to do quite a bit of driving for work lately, and since Old Blue is getting up in mileage, I've decided it might be a good time to start renting a car for these longer trips.  Last week my mom and I walked at the park in the afternoon (the spring weather and my mom's hand me down Fitbit have turned me into a new, motivated girl), and she dropped me off at Enterprise after our walk.

As we pulled into the lot, she said, "Wow, look at that fancy Dodge Charger.  I bet that's the car you'll get."

Then, after a scan around the lot, she spotted a plain jane sedan parked on the side and said, "Actually, you will probably that one."

And I agreed with her because I work for a non-profit and all employees are specifically instructed by the Fiscal Hotline to request the most basic car available.

And then I went inside and the man behind the counter said, "Would you like the Dodge Charger today?"

WOULD I EVER?!

I confirmed that the price would not change, because the last thing I wanted was a call from the Fiscal Hotline, and five minutes later I was driving home in a brand new vehicle that had settings for the "climate," and not simply heat or ac, and with the key sitting in the cup holder and not the ignition because TECHNOLOGY IS SO FANCY THESE DAYS AND THE CAR TURNS ON WITH THE PUSH OF A BUTTON.

I left early the next morning for my meeting and as I merged my spaceship onto the turnpike I realized the Charger really had some get up and go under the hood.  So please imagine my panic when I glanced down at the digital speedometer and saw 91 flashing on the screen.

After I slammed on the brakes I realized the speedometer was set to kilometers per hour.  Whew.

I knew I wasn't going that fast.

I returned the Charger on Thursday night with a heavy heart, but on Saturday morning I was back at Enterprise to pick up a new car for this week.  This time I got a cute Jeep Cherokee, which has a smooth ride and an old school key that actually goes into the ignition just like God and auto mechanics intended.


The Jeep seemed a little simpler and more my "speed," until I went to the gas station.  And had to read the manual to figure out how to open the gas cap.

And then I tried to pop in a CD and learned it has no CD player.  It has a USB port, and an SD card port, but no CD player.

Technology has officially PASSED ME BY.

However, in addition to automatic and four wheel drive, the Jeep does have have settings (options? gears?) for sport and sand/mud.

And I have the Jeep until Saturday.

I think an off road adventure is calling my name.

It's just too bad I won't be able to listen to a CD while I drive through the mud.

19 comments:

Leslie said...

LOL, who knew renting cars for work could be so much fun? They are certainly fancier than my car too, although I love it so!

Julie said...

We got a rental this past weekend while in Dallas and the lady is like want an upgrade to an SUV for the price you're paying - I'm like sure so I drove a nissan for the first time. Wasn't bad, just interesting and makes me wish I could try other cars.

Liz Jo said...

renting cars sounds fun. although whenever I drive an automatic I have to get used not using that non existent pedal because I drive a standard.

are you thinking of getting a new car any time soon?

liz @ j for joiner

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

hahahaha the button thing freaks me out! also, why on earth was that car set to kms?! that is dangerous! i can't believe they are making cars these days without cd players. so rude!

ae said...

I am always so anxious when I have a rental car. Even though I always get the insurance, I am terrified of wrecking it.

Rebecca Jo said...

Same thing with new laptops - they dont have disk drives... just USB ports. What is happening with the world?!?!?

This is the best way to try some cars so when you do go to buy, you already know the kind you like :)

Brittany said...

Seriously, what am I even supposed to do with the HUNDREDS of teen pop CDs that I bought in the '90s?

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Lol, my hubs just got one of those new-fangled push start button cars and it just does NOT seem right seeing the keys just sitting in the console while you're driving.

Amy said...

I would lock the keys in it the very first time I drove it if I drove a push button car.

We are looking at replacing my car in the next year or 2. I think I will rent the cars I'm looking at first to see what I think after reading this.

Cece said...

You will know exactly what kind of car you want when it's time to get one. I get really nervous driving any car that isn't my own (even my husbands!!), because they are so unfamiliar. The brakes and the steering wheel are most definitely in the same place, but I just feel so out of sorts like I'm learning how to drive all over again!

emily @ a little bit of emily said...

This is hilarious. So fun you get to rent different cars for work...it would be so fun checking out all those different cars. Those Chargers look so fierce, I bet it did have some get up to it!

Evelina said...

The push button start in my favourite thing about our Charger! My husband already said that if something was to ever happen to our current one, he would want to replace it with another Charger!
Evelina @ Fortunate House

Kayla MKOY said...

I am still so in shock we BOTH got paired with a Dodge Charger. The lady handed me the keys and I was in total shock. It's my favorite car ever, haha! It was way too fancy for me ;) but I didn't mind one bit. I never wanted to give it abck.

Marie said...

Oh renting a car can be such a hassle. My mom has had her car for about three years ago and was always complaining that she didn't have a CD player, just a USB port. Turns out she does have a CD player, she just didn't realize it.
It took me a long time to get use to the push start but now I love it. Although, when I have to drive someone else's car I'm like what no push start? haha

Sarah said...

I'm so impressed your mom knows car names!

Do you like the Fitbit? I'd love to get one but I'm not sure if they're worth it for the price.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Now I'm curious if my car has a CD player. I've never used one in there but it could totally have one. LOL

Baby Sister said...

I hate the cars where you push the button to start it. It's annoying. And so is not having a CD player. Those are deal breakers for me!

Rachel said...

I think driving different cars all the time would be torture for me. We've had our new car for nearly a year, granted, I don't actually drive often, but still, every time I drive I'm accidentally turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal because some bright guy decided that the windshield wiper control would operate exactly the same way as the turn signal in my old car...

Douglass said...

I thought about getting a convertible for a while but then I decided against it. I feel like in the city that I live in there is just not enough good weather days to make it worth it. However, in my next car I would really like to get a sun roof. I feel that a sun roof is easy.

Douglass @ Viva Kia