I have scoliosis, and wore a back brace from freshmen year of high school through sophomore year of college. I hated it, because what teenage girl wants to wear a hard, thick plastic brace from her shoulder blades to her hips with three giant velcro straps in front for 22 hours every day? But man, what my 29 year old self wouldn't give to have that back brace right now.
I don't know for sure why my back hurts but I can only imagine it might have something to do with all the work we have been doing in the kitchen. I use the term " we" loosely. Matt has been doing the lion's share of the work and he is doing a great job. It's not close to finished, but last night we turned on some good music and poured some wine and cooked a real dinner in there on our plywood counters and cardboard covered floors and I almost cried with happiness.
Matt took the entire week off last week and spent every day working on the kitchen. Which means our text message conversations looked a lot like this.
I'm happy to report that he did eventually find his crow bar and I successfully turned on the water main.
One day he had to do a little work on the gas pipe which never fails to make me nervous. He had the gas main off, and before he went outside to turn it back on, he said "You should probably wait outside when I turn this on" and then gave me a kiss and said, "Just in case things go south, I love ya."
He's a romantic.
On Friday morning I was making coffee and when I turned around I saw him shove slices of honey wheat bread down a water pipe and then fire up a blow torch. I asked him what that particular method of plumbing was called and he said it was called "cross your fingers and hope this works."
It did work, and apparently it's a method Tom recommends.
And by Tom I mean Tom Silva, from This Old House, obviously.
We should invite Tom over for dinner when this is all said and done. This is the kitchen that Tom and Youtube built.
Other things that have happened since I last posted:
- Michelle got married. She now has her very own husband named Matt, and I have the text messages we exchanged the night after their first date which we have laughed and laughed about recently because they wouldn't exactly lead you to believe this day would come. But, it did, and I couldn't be happier for them. She was a beautiful bride and everyone should be so lucky to have a best friend like Michelle.
- Penn State lost to Ohio State by one tiny point two weeks ago and then last week lost to Michigan State by three points. Heartbreakers. WE ARE
- Halloween came and went, but in a moment of early October brilliance I hid an extra bag of Reese's in our kitchen and then promptly forgot about it. I found it the other night when I was emptying cabinets and it was a highlight of the month.
- I had MORE car issues which I think are finally resolved, knock on wood or my brand new valve cover. I did write a post about it but it was too fresh to be funny. I've since found the humor so maybe I'll post it this week but let's just say I was literally not firing on all cylinders.
- Due to the aforementioned car trouble, I had to drive Matt's F-150 for a few days, which is roughly three times the size of my tiny Ford Focus. It was generally fine except for the time I accidentally turned into a dead end parking lot with many anxious pizza delivery drivers who wanted to get out of the lot and were being held up by Oh Laura Darling in the F-150 making a 476 point turn. My sincerest apologies to any residents of Folcroft, Pennsylvania who have received cold pizza. You're more than welcome to come and heat it up in our kitchen. The gas stove is questionable, but you're more than welcome to use the blow torch.