Skip to main content

one of those stories that's only funny several years later

One of my favorite things about my new Kindle is the ability to browse through countless genres and writers and topics.  I've already discovered several authors who I think will become long time favorites.   This afternoon I was reading a book by an author I've never read before, and he wrote a story about receiving an invitation in the mail for a fishing club.  As it turns out his experience in the world of fishing was limited to a few summers on the lake as a young boy, which didn't exactly qualify him as a prime candidate for an angler's club.  However, those experiences did provide him with enough material for a few funny stories.

Which of course made me think of my own fishing stories.

You may be thinking, OH LAURA DARLING, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A FISHERWOMAN. 

That would be because I'm not.

However, for nearly every summer of my entire life, my family has packed up the car and driven to the mountains of western Maryland to spend two weeks at a cabin on the lake.  And over the course of all those vacations, a lot of fishing has gone on. 


This particular story took place when I was about twelve years old, which means Emily was five and Phil was thirteen.  We had arrived at the lake earlier that day, and after dinner my parents, Emily, and Phil went down to the water.  For some reason I did not accompany the rest of my family down to the lake.  Probably because I had to put on some Bonne Bell lip gloss.  I was a big Bonne Bell fan at that point in my life.

Let's be honest.  I still am.


Anyway, my parents and siblings brought a fishing pole down to the lake with them, and the plan was to do a little after dinner fishing.  My dad rigged up the pole and put a worm on the hook at the bottom. 

At the time, Emily was a very inexperienced angler, as most five year olds are.  But Phil gave the fishing pole to Emily and showed her the basics of casting.

And then it was time.

First cast of the vacation.

HUGE. MOMENT.

My parents and Phil stood on the dock while Emily enthusiastically brought that fishing pole behind her head in preparation for one giant cast, hoping against hope to catch something. 

Well, she caught something alright.

MY BROTHER.

Or, more specifically, his eyelid.

The good news was that my dad sprang into action and immediately cut the fishing line to free Phil from being anchored to a five foot graphite pole. I  heard yelling and crying coming from the direction of the lake, and after I put down my lip gloss, I looked out the window to see my mom running up the lawn with her arms around my panicked brother, who had a hook through his eyelid and a slimy worm dangling on his cheek.  My dad followed close behind with a hysterical Emily.

The next few moments were a bit of a blur, but it turns out that the while Phil was running up from the lake, the hook was jostled out of his eye.  Thankfully the worm was history too.  My parents decided that the best bet was to take him to the hospital, because, you know, he had just had a DIRTY FISHING HOOK in his eyelid.

And they wanted to avoid any situations of, HELLO TETANUS, SO GLAD YOU COULD ACCOMPANY US ON VACATION.

The three of them jumped into the car and drove to the nearest hospital, which was forty minutes and two stoplights away.  The fact that one can drive for FORTY MINUTES and only meet two measly stoplights boggles my suburban mind. 

Meanwhile, Emily and I watched Nick at Nite and I'd like to take this opportunity to give Bill Cosby a shout out.  It takes a very funny person to be able to make someone laugh when their brother is in the emergency room because she went fishing and CAUGHT HIM.

After a check up and a tetanus shot, Phil was fine.  He lived to fish another day. 

And I think it's safe to say that Emily will never be invited to join a fishing club.

Comments

lol, too funny now! of course, scary back then! I remember a friend coming to our cottage for my dad to fish a hook out of his thumb...it was quite wedged in! I think he was ok though.
Anonymous said…
That was 2001, the first time we stayed at Island View. 2001 was also the year we went to dinner with Mom's cousin from Baltimore. Ned came for a few days that year, and it was also the last year Pop Pop and Mom Mom came to the lake.

The last part of that story is that when we got home from the hospital (after a rockin' thunderstorm) I went down to the dock to get the other fishing pole and there was a perch on the hook. We should always be that lucky.

Great memories.
Sarah said…
OH MY GOODNESS! Do I have a fishing story for you! You'll just have to wait for the email...writing it here would make it the longest comment in blogger history. Which is saying a lot because I've been known to write some pretty long comments! :)

By the way, you background is lovely.

Baby Sister said…
Wow. Just wow. That had me cracking up!! Your poor sister and brother...I'd be traumatized forever!! Good ol' Bill Crosby, he's the best!!
Morgan said…
Oh my gosh! Your poor brother! I would have been terrified and never wanted to go fishing again, haha. But Nick at Nite was totally awesome! And I loved Bonne Belle lip balm as well. Lip Smackers lip gloss? The best!
Marcie said…
Ha! That's a great story!
And Bonne Bell is the best ever lip gloss! Cheap too! :)
giaghani said…
OMGOSH YOUR POOR BROTHER! hahaha, I hope he is finding it funny now years later! Altho, I'm pretty sure I would be traumatized for the rest of my life.

BTW, are you loving your Kindle? I just started the debate over whether or not I wanted to purchase the Touch that is coming out. I have a feeling I've been seduced but I just need to do a little bit more research.
20 Going on 80 said…
Oh my, I gasped when I read the part of it going through his eyelid! I'm a baby about those things. Haha. And I love reminiscing about the good ol days. Nick at nite was the best...brady bunch?! Loved it. Such classics :)
Hilary Lane said…
Haha, too funny! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

what i've been reading

I decided to try something new for the blog today, and I'm joining my first ever Show Us Your Books link-up with Stephanie and Jana to share the books I read in June!


Party Girl, by Rachel Hollis:  A few weeks ago I logged into my Amazon account, only to realize that I'd been the beneficiary of $17.00 in credit thanks to a class action lawsuit I didn't even know I was a part of.  I decided to download Rachel Hollis' series since I am a big fan of her website, The Chic Site, and had been dying to read her books for quite some time.  Party Girl is the first book in the series, and I read it in a few long porch sitting sessions over the course of a weekend.  The book is based on the author's life, and how she got her start as a Hollywood party planner.  I was rooting for the main character the whole time, and the book was fun, light, and made me laugh.  Which is something we could all probably use these days.

The Good Girl, by Mary Kubica: I've heard that this is si…

there's no place like home

Well, it's been a long week.

I mean long in the sense that I got home at 7:00 last night, after being away for work since Monday, and I immediately changed into some lounge wear.

And then I came down into the kitchen and Matt said, "Um, I think your sweatpants might be on backwards."

MY SWEATPANTS WERE ON BACKWARDS.

I left for my trip on Monday afternoon.  The rental car pickins were slim at Enterprise, so I went with a Ford Focus because I have a Ford Focus, so I wouldn't have to learn any tricky new radio knobs or windshield wiper controls.  I believe I fall squarely into the category of seasoned Ford Focus expert.

And then I drove the first 1.6 miles in the rental Focus in low gear.  It felt a little sluggish, but it didn't even occur to me to check and make sure the right gear was selected until I went to shift it into "park" at the gas station and realized the gear shift was on L.

The rest of the drive was problem free, and when I settled into my r…

and i was the english major

My brother and sister and I have a group text, and it really gets busy during election season.  Last Monday, as the Iowa caucus results came it, let's just say there were a lot of corny jokes.

It was a-maize-ing.

I knew the group text would be busy on Saturday night because of the Republican debate, but I didn't realize we would be discussing such controversial topics.

Can't wait until convention season.