Thursday, November 3, 2011

a president and a snowfall

After we ate dinner tonight, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands.  In an effort to use that time wisely I went into Emily's room and proceeded to try to convince her that George W. Bush's middle name is actually "Dubya."  

I presented a lengthy explanation about Dubya being an old family name of English origin, and tradition was that it was never used as a first name.  Only a middle name.  My persuasive skills were in high gear and I was actually making progress until I told her that the original Dubya was Laura Bush's great great grandfather.  That would have made perfect sense if Laura's parents actually had anything to do with the naming of George Dubya.  Which, since they didn't even know of his existence until decades later, they did not.  Looking back I should have thought that through more thoroughly.

After Emily rained on my Dubya parade, she told me I needed to go do something more productive with my time like WRITE A BLOG POST ALREADY.  Because I love to add dramatic flair to any situation, I told her that I needed a five word phrase of encouragement and/or inspiration before I could continue on my way.
"Five words?" she asked.  "Does it have to be a famous quote, or can I make it up?"

I told her that there were no rules other than that it had to be brimming with inspiration and five words long.

She thought about it for half a second and then said, "Get. Out. Of. My Room."

She is hilarious.

And so here I am thinking about what I could write about that would be marginally more interesting than my dentist appointment last night (cavity free! no tartar!) or the fact that I am on a quest for new shampoo.*

I suppose I could take a trip down memory lane all the way back to Saturday, when we had our first WINTER WEATHER EVENT of the season.
 
We got a few inches of snow and sleet and somewhere along the way, the weekend was dubbed "SNOWTOBER."   I did not like that one bit.  In most instances I am all about the clever nickname.  For example, at the Catholic university where I got my paralegal certificate, the coffee shop was called "Holy Grounds."  I laughed every time I walked by.  And I will never find a lipstick name I like as much as "Mauvelous."  But snowtober? Not really a fan.   I am left to wonder what will happen if the region experiences a heat wave in the winter.  Will we call it "warmarch?"  To me that sounds more like something a soldier would do before heading into battle than some eighty degree temperatures in the early spring, but you never know.

This whole snowtober thing is a slippery slope.

Literally.


Happy Friday!


*I really am looking for new shampoo, and am open to suggestions.  Preferably something without many chemicals because MY HAIR!  IT IS SO SENSITIVE!  I would also like to spend less than $8.00 a bottle because I have very important things to buy with the rest of my money.  Like nail polish.  And tater tots.

15 comments:

Mallory said...

Basically anything by Pantene Pro-V is awesome in my book. It's all I use. And it's a good price, too.

Jas said...

Hey hey!

Ok, so not only was your attempt to convince Emily that Dubya is, indeed, the former president's middle name, but you also asked a great question that I so have the answer to.

Loreal makes a wooonderful shampoo without sulfates. Stylists hate telling you about it because it's almost identical in composition to most studio grade shampoos.

Check it out here:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=loreal+shampoo+without+sulfates&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=818794552680726267&sa=X&ei=892zTsAJ0sy2B-fv0OAD&ved=0CHMQ8gIwAQ

Morgan said...

Sorry about all your snow. We don't ever see snow here so if you want to send it my way that's cool. =)

I don't have an inexpensive shampoo suggestion, but the one I use is called Shampure by Aveda and I like it because it's natural and doesn't contain detergent. I love how it smells and how it makes my hair feel. I think it's 12 bucks a bottle.

Sarah said...

I just started using Suave Naturals aloe and waterlily shampoo and I really like it. Bonus- it doesn't break your wallet or your bank account! :)

Traci said...

I started using Aveeno shampoo & conditioner awhile back & I really like it. I don't know about the chemicals though.

Miss Amy said...

I love the Suave Naturals. It's so cheap, and the smell is comparable to the Aveda mint kind. I love it!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can't believe it's already snowing!! Boo!!

braden said...

I saw that you found my blog through Kelly's Korner! I came over to check yours out :) Looking forward to reading more!

Nice to meet you! (unofficially)

Jim Thome said...

I use L'Oreal for Men or sometimes Suave for Men. They work wonders.

Micah said...

Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine...I never get comments. :)
As for shampoo, I'm a Dove girl.

b said...

Trying to convince someone that Dubya is indeed George's middle name sounds like something I would do. Love your blog!

Lauren Lu said...

I love the Frutis Pure Shampoo and Conditioner. The smell isn't overwhelming but lasts until your next shower!

They could have called the weather event Snowmaggedeon. That's one of my favorites. Always gives me a chuckle :o)

Baby Sister said...

I'm ready for snow...

I'm searching for a new shampoo and conditioner as well, so I am of no help in that department. :)

The Platinum Batch said...

love the shots!! and im jealous of your snow!

At least I'm skinny said...

Holy Grounds. I love it!