Monday, May 14, 2012

fighting city hall

 I should have known that today wasn't going to go well when I reached up to put my hair behind my ear on the drive to work and realized that I hadn't put any earrings in.  Since I got my ears pierced eleven years ago, I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone without earrings.  To me, forgetting earrings is worse than forgetting shoes.  I am not myself without them.  

And of course I couldn't forget my earrings on an ordinary day.  No, today was the day I was going to meet the two new lawyers who will be working with our office.  I may or may not have sat down dramatically at my desk this morning and cried WHAT WILL THE NEW LAWYERS THINK OF ME?  WOULD IT BE WEIRD IF I MENTIONED TO THEM THAT I NORMALLY DO WEAR EARRINGS?

My coworkers informed that yes, that would be weird, and so all morning I practiced a hair-shake maneuver that caused my lovely locks to fall over my plain ears so that when I met the new bosses they wouldn't think, "I wonder why Laura wasn't wearing earrings."  

Of course I knew that there was also the possibility that they might think "Gee I wonder Laura kept shaking her hair over and over like that," but listen, everything's a tradeoff and that's a risk I was willing to take.

After the introductions I had to go over to the courthouse to drop something off.  I knew I would just be a few minutes, so instead of using my parking pass to park in the garage across the street, I decided to gather up some loose change and pay to park on the street.  This reasoning behind this strategic decision was two-fold, because not only was I feeling moderately lazy, but also it was drizzling outside and I could not afford to ruin my hair when it was the only barrier between my un-bedazzled ears and the rest of the world.

In recent months the parking department has done away with individual meters and instead installed one kiosk on every block.  And so, after I parked Old Blue in spot 106, I strolled over to the kiosk and put in a whopping $1.35.  I thought I could have gotten away with just a dollar but decided to throw in a little extra in case I was inside longer than expected.  ALWAYS THINKING AHEAD, I AM.

I will now present Exhibit A, my receipt.


 
 I went inside, did what I had to do, and came out.  I rounded the corner and Old Blue came into sight, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a ticket in her windshield wipers.

I will now present Exhibit B, my ticket.
I stood by my car completely puzzled for several seconds.  I fished my receipt out of my bag to verify that I had indeed paid and wasn't losing my mind.  And there I stood in the rain, seeing in black and white that it was only 12:32 and I had enough money to stay in spot 106 until 12:57.

And that's about when I realized that my car was actually parked in spot 105.

SMOOTH.

I hung my head and drove back to the office where I promptly sought legal advice.  I made sure to ask one of the lawyers who has been there a while because I didn't want my first impression on the new lawyers to be HI, I'M LAURA AND NOT ONLY DID I FORGET TO WEAR EARRINGS TODAY AND AS A RESULT AM ALL OUT OF SORTS, BUT IT APPEARS I CANNOT HANDLE BASIC STREET PARKING.  NOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO ME TO COMPLETE ANY OFFICIAL LEGAL TASKS?

Anywho I was advised to take the ticket and the receipt to the parking office and explain my situation.  Although I don't know if I have much of an explanation other than "OOPS."  

And so tomorrow on my lunch hour I will be fighting city hall.  

And you can bet that I will be wearing my fanciest earrings.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but did you actually parallel park?

The Pink Growl said...

I always feel like it's a bad day if I forget earrings and/or my watch. I've never forgotten both but I'm sure it could happen. Like you, I wear them every single day! I feel naked without them.

Katie said...

Can't wait to hear how it turns out! Also...I say 'crown' instead of 'crayon' too! You get me, girl :) haha Happy tuesday!

Nicole - Craft My Soul said...

Ugh... that moment when you realize they didn't make a mistake. Good luck fighting the ticket. I hope they understand.

Angie said...

I'm just like you, I always have earrings on. I feel naked without them. Hope your fight with City Hall goes well. We all have those oops moments.

lori said...

Oh man. That could have easily happened to me as well... We have those same kiosks here but you don't have to enter your parking spot, you just put the receipt in your window. Good luck, hopefully you will get someone understanding!!

poptartyogini said...

oh my goodness, this post is so funny. i'm so sorry to hear about your earring shim sham. my holes have closed up. i'm not sure what to do with my earrings now! good luck fighting city hall. i have no doubt that once you're all earringed up you'll come out victorious!

Kym said...

I'm glad the sugar scrub sounds like something you'd like! It's so easy and i think it works wonderfully. It's a plus knowing EXACTLY what's in it too. You'll have to let me know if you make some and you like it!

Allison said...

Aw you poor thing! That is awful! I hope you get it all figured out and that they don't give you a hard time!

Kristin said...

ugh that totally sucks!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Ugh I have fought so many parking tickets...

Nicole Marie said...

Not cool! I don't like city hall and I've work for elections!

Jes said...

I HATE dealing with city hall when it comes to parking tickets. I just want to throw them all away or make paper airplanes out of them. Good luck!
x Jes, new follower from www.twosmuppies.com

misty venne said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!! I simply must wear my good (fake m) pearls tomorrow :) 1st day of nursing clinicals with babies & as it sounds, earrings = well put together & ready for action. Too funny, you are ;)

Audra said...

LOL! This sounds exactly like something I would do. I would have marched into that office so indigant and then gotten served when they told me "Ma'am, you were in the wrong spot." So good for you for looking into it!

Katie said...

that's funny that you feel so out of place without earrings in! and i would be mad about that ticket! good luck getting it taken care of!!

Rachael said...

Oh my word.. what a day. I think a day without earrings in my world would go about the same.. I feel so naked without them!! I hope the fight with City Hall went well. Cute blog!

Stephanie Qualls said...

This was probably the best blog I've read all week. Not saying your earring catastrophe and parking violation is funny...but it made for a good story!

Joy said...

Yessss....I feel naked without earrings. And not in a good sexy way. In a insecure, forgot to shave way. It's terrible.

Baby Sister said...

Oh wow. That really sucks!! I hope they were nice and waived the fee....

Jill said...

I HATE when I forget my earrings. It makes me feel completely unkempt. Ugh. I'm glad your parking situation worked out. In our city where there are meter kiosks like that, they fortunately haven't #'ed the spots. Instead you just pay and then put the receipt on your dash. And then if you're like me you leave it on there for oh 2 or 3 weeks because you are a) forgetful or B)lazy :P