Tuesday, May 22, 2012

i fought the law, and the law was surprisingly accommodating

Well, last week I swallowed my pride and marched right into city hall to explain my little meter mishap.  The woman I spoke with was extremely understanding and after a few clicks of her computer mouse, declared me parking ticket-free.

Crisis averted.

As I mentioned in my last post, my parents were away for the weekend so I spent a few days back at home holding down the fort with Emily.  I arrived after work on Friday, and I took my things right upstairs to put in the guest room, which is the bedroom I lived in until I moved out in December.  I've seen it since I moved out, but this time the furniture was rearranged and the shelves were cleared, and I said to Emily, "Wow!  It looks so different in here!"

"Yeah," she said, "except the curtains are still upside-down, which is how you hung them whenever you got them."

Four years I lived with those curtains.  Never once did I realized that they were hanging upside down.

And now I'm thinking maybe I should have majored in interior design.

On Saturday we woke up early because we had things to do and cars to drive.  That's right.  Emily just got her driver's permit, so Saturday morning we took a trip over to a local office park so that she could get behind the wheel.  She had gone out with my dad twice before, and I was impressed with her skillz.  After a little bit I decided that she could use some more work on her turns, and at that exact moment A BRILLIANT THOUGHT popped into my head.  

I directed Emily toward two islands with some decorative shrubbery and told her to drive figure eights around them.

She put that car right into park faster than you can say turning radius, looked at me, and said, "OH NO. NO WAY.  I AM NOT DRIVING DRIVING FIGURE EIGHTS AROUND THOSE BUSHES."

The reasoning behind her refusal had something to do with the fact that she will likely never have to actually drive figure eights on the roadway, but to that I say, YOU NEVER KNOW.

However, for the rest of the session we steered clear of any trick maneuvers.

Steered clear.  Get it?


 Lest you think our afternoon o' fun ended there, let me assure you that it did not.  After our driving session we went to the car wash because OH THE DAMAGE that the pollen is doing to my car.  I even shelled out a few extra bucks for the Special Rainbow Polish because I was feeling fancy and fiscally frivolous.  It really just looked like a lot of blue soap.

 
 The rest of the weekend consisted of Matt taking us out for dinner, lots of singing (me) and subsequent eye rolling (Em) and then renting one of the worst movies of all time.  We were about twenty minutes in when Emily looked at me and said, "Well if YOU want to watch something else, I wouldn't be mad."  You better believe I had Made of Honor in that DVD player in twenty seconds flat.  HELLOOOO Patrick Dempsey.

On Sunday we ate chicken pot pies for lunch and then went driving once more.  I wanted to give Emily another opportunity to have a lesson with one of the World's Greatest Drivers.  

I just won't be giving her any advice on parking meters.


13 comments:

Sarah said...

I have so many things to say. (WHAT ELSE IS NEW?) First off,congratulations to Emily on her permit!! Maybe you should have her practice backing into a mud pit just in case that ever happens to her. ;)

"Steered clear" had me cracking up.

You can never EVER go wrong with Patrick Dempsey.

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

My sister at that age wod have said Dusty needs to get off her broomstick and teach me to drive. Now we live each other. Sisters are the best

P!nky said...

Good job attempting the fight and winning!!! :)

Meagan Murtagh said...

glad you got out of that one!

xo the egg out west.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Major props on getting out of that ticket! I have failed at all my attempts...that whole theory of if you are below 35, you can get out of any traffic related ticket has failed me. Whatevs. I loved teaching my brother to drive my car! It's stick-shift and while at times I was praying for my safety (and my clutch), he did great! I taught him how to parallel park like a stud!

Kelsey Higgins said...

I literally chuckled at the upside down curtains part. That is hilarious! My brother is going to be getting his permit next year, too- and I am terrified at the thought. You're brave for taking your sister out! :) And great choice with Made of Honor, nothing wrong with a little eye candy in the evening!

poptartyogini said...

Oh my goodness your posts are hilarious. I really enjoy reading about all your antics. I'm so glad the law was accommodating. Phew. My car needs a wash so badly right now. I park under a tree at work. Ew!

Ashley said...

Good job for going in and talking to someone about your parking ticket!

Baby Sister said...

Oh I'm glad they were nice to you. It's always good to know there are nice people in the world. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. I think Emily is extremely lucky to get to drive with you. My older sisters were never that cool.

Maria Camila said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, your blog is lovely :) would you like to follow each other? Let me know.

Xo, adropofbliss.blogspot.com

misty venne said...

you're so funny! and don't feel bad about the lack of interior design skillz - all the curtains in our house are UTTERLY mismatched. the ones in our kitchen are German circa 1980 - and our bedroom has 2 different colored eclipse pannels (that don't even match our sheets one BIT). and my daughter's ... nope, not going there. ;)

Jay said...

Which terrible movie was it? I have seen some awful ones lately and finally learned that it doesn't have to get better, some movies are just awful.

Anonymous said...

Apple company plastic cards are often a celebrated donation right
now, That you ought to forever accepting apple company handmade cards the
fact that strengths while at work, to gain entering study, probably a few grandmother afflicted me
with a itunes cardboard for my birthday. Back then, specific stoves had to be watercooled, consequently lender at the same time necessary to
download an water pipe materials. Others in the industry can be treated using clear-cut
fixings at any place crucial. You will find derived holistic
alternatives in the cakes, but many regular people look down relating to adjustments to an exceptionally well-known hors d'oeuvre. Added problem you never forget may be the volume toasting size that you like your trusty toaster to experience which might be choice because when nearly all people it's good to be advised
several times a day. Many masters at acquired insurers tell your regular associates that's about potential issues and therefore advis support alternatives.

Feel free to surf to my webpage toaster ovens