Monday, May 6, 2013

good to see you, may

Well, I had a fantastic weekend.  On my drive to work this morning I thought about how difficult it is to go back to work on Monday after a particularly great weekend, but that if these past few days were any indication, my summer is going to be a good one.

And then I walked into the office, sat down at my desk, and at 8:05 my desk phone rang.  When I answered, the cheerful voice on the other end of the line said, "Good morning Laura! This is Susan from Chick Fil A!"

I. Am. Not. Kidding.

I am a BIG TIME FAN of Chick Fil A.  Sometimes I have to take a different route home from work because if I drive past the Chick Fil A my car just TURNS INTO THE PARKING LOT and before I know it I'm homeward bound with a large sweet tea and an eight pack of nuggets. 

Recently, and by recently I meant approximately the last three-four days, I've tried to avoid the CFA in the best interest of my wallet and my health.  So naturally my first thought upon answering the phone was that Susan was just calling to check in on me since I haven't been around in the last, oh, 72 hours.

Wrong. 

It turns out that my business card was chosen in the workplace lunch of the week drawing, and so at 11:45 on Friday, assorted platters of Chick Fil A lunch items and accompanying beverages will be delivered straight to my office for me and eight of my closest friends.

Just when I think my life can't get any better.

I was so overcome with excitement when Susan told me the good news that when she asked for my work address to confirm the delivery information, I COULD NOT REMEMBER IT.  I had to dig around in my outgoing mail bin for a piece of letterhead with the address on it.

Monday, you've outdone yourself.

---------------------------

My weekend kicked off on Friday night at a Mexican bar in celebration of Cinco de Mayo.  Or Cuatro de Mayo.  Or just the end of another work week, which in my opinion is reason enough for a celebratory margarita.



On Saturday Matt and I went with some friends to a park for a picnic lunch.  Things got off to a bit of a rocky start because the person in charge of the grill brought a brand new, not yet assembled grill and no tools.  

Which really threw a wrench into things.

Oh, I am hilarious. 
 
Luckily this is the kind of challenge that is right up Matt's alley, so he jumped right in twisting wing nuts and attaching handles and after about twenty minutes, we had a rickety but usable grill.  

What started as a picnic lunch turned into the entire afternoon and dinner and sunset at the park and it was perfect.  We even played a bunch of tailgate games, one of which involved one teammate (Matt) throwing a frisbee to the other from fifty feet away, and that poor second teammate (me) trying to run and hit the frisbee into a barrel.  

And now I will let you in on some shocking news.

Running after a frisbee and guiding it into a barrel?  NOT MY WHEELHOUSE.

After way too many rounds of losing that we started playing washer toss.  I discovered that I can throw a washer with impressive precision and redeemed myself in the lawn game department.






On Sunday I went with Matt to a family party and came home to find Michelle in the living room with two big Ikea boxes.  For some reason I enjoy the challenge associated with Ikea furniture assembly, and so Michelle and I set to work assembling her desk and chair. 

The chair didn't have many pieces, but just when we thought we were finished we matched it up to the picture in the direction booklet, and unfortunately it looked more like the picture with the giant X over it than the one on the cover.  After many, many minutes of trying to figure out where we went wrong, we realized that we put the legs on backwards. 

Whoops.

The desk was much more time consuming and complicated, but luckily we were able to incorporate several puns into the installation process such as "I screwed up!" and we cracked ourselves up the entire time.  

As far as I know Michelle's desk and chair have not yet collapsed, so we must have done something right despite the excessive surplus of screws we had at the end.

I think it's safe to say we nailed it.

Photobucket

26 comments:

Robin said...

Beautiful pictures...and you only get the eight-piece nuggets?! :)

ae said...

Looks like a really fun weekend!

Ashley said...

Heck ya that is awesome you won a Chick Fil A lunch!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Okay I really feel like I'm missing out because I have never been to a Chick Fil A! I don't think we have them in this part of the country...

Stephanie said...

What?! You actually won one of those things?! BEST MONDAY EVER!

Susannah said...

That's so awesome that you won Chick-Fil-A for your office!!! :-) What a great way to start the week. :-)

Angela said...

I have never been to CFA. We don't have any here and I am so curious about all these things I hear about it. I neeeeed to try it!

Kelly said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on winning a Chick Fil A lunch! I am super jealous.

Jenna said...

I am dying of jealousy about your Chik-fil-a lunch. DYING.

Elise said...

1- I love your puns!

2- I cannot believe you get free Chick fil A at work. That would be the best thing EVER if it happened to me.

Victoria said...

What a great weekend and congrats on the Chick Fil A party!!!

Weekends like that are always so fun and RELAXING. :) I do hope your summer is full of many more!

Faith said...

Are you serious?! I'm so jealous! I've never had CFA since we don't have them in my area but I've heard nothing but great things. So I'm jealous. Enjoy!

Tayler Morrell said...

That is so cool that you are your coworkers got free KFC!
morrellfairytale.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

This is probably dumb, but I have never actually had Chick Fil A...I guess they don't have them in Nebraska?!

Amy said...

I've always wanted to win the chick-fil-a drawing! I'm so jealous!
Sounds like a great weekend!

Tamara said...

Free Chik-fila?! That's fantastic!

We only have one in our town & it is constantly packed so I avoid it because of the lines, but occasionally when I drive by I just say screw it, totally worth 20 minutes.

Katie said...

we just got a chick fil a by us and I have only gone once! i need to go again!!!

Zoe Byrd said...

the extra hardware at the end is the antithesis of socks in the dryer. what is that about? I love the photos...so beautiful.

Sarah said...

Look at you, winning at those fries!!! I bet you'll keep a few more business cards on hand just in case you ever have the chance to enter again. Who can say no to free food?!?!

Your shoes in the third picture are so cute. Where did you get them?

Kira said...

I have never won one of those "put your business card in for a free lunch" things. I would be excited too!

PRINCE MB said...

Owe Some Really Lovley Pix

Baby Sister said...

You got a Chick Fil A lunch?? Lucky you!! I've always found Ikea things to be more complicated than they say they are....

alice {sweet dreamer} said...

You are a braver woman than me - attempting IKEA assembly! I always end up in tears with odd shaped bits of wood and bolts around me. x

Elizabeth Mayberry said...

chicfila lunch?!?!!? what a great thing!!!

Ashley R said...

Haha that's awesome, congrats on the win! That margarita looks so good right about now! :)

Benlovesting said...

The second last photo is so beautiful!