yes, i really was an english major



For as long as I can remember, my dad has called small shuttle buses “jitneys.”  And for all twenty four years of my life, I assumed that was a clever word that he made up because it’s much more fun to say jitney than it is to say shuttle bus.   

It wouldn’t be the first time my family had a made up word in our vocabulary.  For example, there is a road near our house with a series of hills make your stomach feel like you’re on a roller coaster.  We’ve always called those types of hills mickels.  I don’t know the origin of mickel, but my entire family knows the meaning of the word and uses it on a regular basis.  

The general public? Not so much. 

And I’ve lived my life assuming jitney fell into the same category as mickel.

Michelle and I were at the beach this weekend and decided to paint the town red on Friday night and go to a bar.  Unfortunately it was 45 degrees outside with a constant gusty wind, which would have made the walk from our hotel on 79th street to the bar on 24th A VERY LONG, UNPLEASANT ONE.  

And so, we took to the Google for transportation options and there, the very first result, was the Seven Mile Island Jitney. 

My jaw dropped. 

HOW DID THEY KNOW MY DAD’S WORD?

It turns out that jitney is AN ACTUAL WORD.  

IT IS IN THE DICTIONARY. 

I HAD NO IDEA.

This will forever change the way I communicate with others about small to medium sized shuttle buses.  I can use the term jitney freely and without worrying that I may not be understood. 

I will just have to make sure that I don’t ask the driver to take us down the road with the mickels.


Photobucket

Comments

Angela said…
This is hilarious! I've never heard of either of those words... But I'm sure my family has some crazy made up words too! :)
Jenna said…
Hahaha that's how I feel about "crick" to describe a small, river-like body of water. Who knew it was actually a thing and not just something weird my dad says?!
Hilarious post! Love it. :-)

Sarah @ Life As Always
Rachel said…
My family used made up words too (that I use to this day and have introduced my husband to), but I have heard the word jitney before!
Amanda Wissmann said…
Hahahaha! LOVE THIS! How funny!
Baby Sister said…
I had no idea it was a word either. I do like mickel, I think I might I have to steal it.
Anonymous said…
propecia cost propecia quarter pill - buy propecia no prescription
Katie Cook said…
hahah this is hilarious!!! you are too cute! love Katie
Sally said…
HAHAHA

Dying! Stuff like this happens to me too....and yes, I was an English major too! LOVE IT!