i didn't smell like a margarita, but i sure could have used one

Several months ago, I had a brilliant revelation in the housekeeping department.  That revelation was that I could fill a small spray bottle with cleaning product, and keep it in my bathroom cabinet.  My thought was that perhaps if the cleaner was actually in the room, those quick bathroom counter wipedowns would happen on a more regular basis.

It is important to keep in mind that I live in a tiny little apartment with four rooms and an itsy bitsy hall closet.  The farthest I'd have to walk for a full sized bottle of cleaner is approximately twelve feet.  Still, I prefer to categorize this revelation as one of efficiency as opposed to laziness. 

I had a bottle of orchid scented body spray in my medicine cabinet that was almost empty, so I dumped out the last few drops and filled it up with bathroom cleaner.

When I was growing up, I remember my parents telling me never to put liquid in an unidentified container, or an already labeled container.  A mix up could be catastrophic.  And when I filled up my body spray bottle with bathroom cleaner, I remembered their advice.

And I poured away.

And over the course of the next several months I proceeded to use that brilliantly convenient, accessible container of bathroom cleaner exactly zero times.

This morning while I was getting ready for work, I slid open my medicine cabinet.  I am going away for the  weekend and had already packed my perfume, so I grabbed that bottle of orchid scented spray and VERY LIBERALLY spritzed myself.

About ten seconds later I smelled it.

I had spritzed my entire being in bathroom cleaner.

Because I have a truly endearing habit of leaving no spare time in the mornings, I didn't have time to rinse it all off.  In a desperate attempt to do some damage control, I wiped off what I could with the sleeve of the robe that was hanging on the back of the door and sped off to work.

And then I spent the entire day sitting in my cubicle smelling like a member of the janitorial staff.  

I think it was even worse than that time I went to work smelling like a margarita.  


 You were right, Mom and Dad.  

Lesson learned.

I hope my cubicle neighbors forgive me by Monday.

Photobucket

Comments

My dad was also an avid contributor to the "No Unlabeled Bottles Movement" so I have committed no such crime until just recently (as I sit with a generic spray bottle full of water next to me). However, I recently attempted to spray a perfume on myself and the bottle decided at that moment to leak all over my fingers and down my arms. Like you, I leave less than zero time for such incidents, and instead of smelling like a touch too much Coach Poppy, I just smelled like straight alcohol for the entire day. On the first day of a new rotation at the clinic. Score.
Emily said…
hahaha....uh oh. Next time re-label said bottle.
KatiePerk said…
Oh no! That is hilarious.
Becky said…
Haha! You're too funny. I love using old bottles for other stuff - like filling an old hair heat protectant spray bottle with all-purpose cleaner just because it's easier to use. I'm just super paranoid about forgetting (since I almost always do), so I always label the bottle to prevent those kinds of mishaps :P
Tayler Morrell said…
I'm sorry, but it is kind of funny. Hope you will be able to laugh as well.

morrellfairytale.blogspot.com
Robin said…
If it makes you feel better, I often come close to putting milk in the cabinets and pasta in the refrigerator.
Mackenzie said…
Oh my! So funny! At least you smelled nice and clean... could be worse. :)
This is TOTALLY something I would do haha. Lesson learned, right?
Allison said…
Oh man.. that so sounds like something I would do!

The margarita story cracks me up! One of my friends learned the hard way that Margarita shower gel is not a prime choice when you're hungover, either ;)
OK, your posts CRACK me right up I have to add you to my sidebar!! Please keep it up; you're an awesome writer!! Your little moments are captured so well and I love how well you share them. Hope you have a great day!
Sarah Alway said…
Bwahahahaha! Oh my gosh this is classic, I would totally do something like this! You poor thing!

I am obsessed with Lysol disinfecting wipes and I have a container of them in virtually every room of my house; they're amazing.

Sarah @ Life As Always
Angela said…
This is hilarious... not fun for you, but at least you got a good story out of it? :)
Baby Sister said…
Hahahahahahaha! That is awesome!! I'm sure I would have done the same thing, especially in a I'm in a hurry and not really thinking kind of moment.