the short version is that we made it home safe and sound

I had a big week last week.  I left Tuesday morning for a work conference several hours away, stayed there until Friday morning when I went to a few meetings, packed my car, made the three and a half hour drive home, ate a lunch of nacho cheese Doritos and a pumpkin spice latte at a turnpike rest stop, arrived at my apartment for the quickest transformation from sweatpants into a wedding outfit in the history of the world, and spent the night at a family wedding.

I collapsed into my bed late on Friday night and stayed there until 11:30 on Saturday morning.  I managed to pull myself out of bed and shower before noon, but that's where all motivation was lost and I just put my bathrobe back on, climbed into bed, and read a book. 

Please imagine my surprise when I heard a knock at my front door a few hours later and peeked out the window to see Matt.  Surprise visits are a lot more adorable when I'm wearing a cute outfit and some lip gloss as opposed to the state I was in at that very moment, but what can ya do?  FOR BETTER OR FOR BATHROBES AND DAMP, UNCOMBED HAIR.  

I opened the door and told Matt to hang out real quick in the living room while I changed, but I ended up taking my grand old time changing because I figured that poor Matt might need a while to process the fact that he's marrying a girl who stays in her bathrobe until mid afternoon.  

Saturday's weather was beautiful, so once I was properly dressed and lip glossed and ready to re-enter the land of the living we went over to a state park to walk on the trail for a few hours.  It was such a pretty day.


Then a friend called and invited us over for a last minute pizza/wine/bonfire night, an invitation which we accepted because that is like the perfect Saturday night trifecta.

Unfortunately that's when things started to go downhill.

As soon as we pulled up to their house and Matt put the car into park, tons of white smoke began pouring out from the hood of his car. 

We certainly know how to make an entrance!!

(Matt is going to read this and say that I am exaggerating and that it wasn't tons of smoke and it most certainly was not pouring out of the hood.  To which I say any amount of smoke coming from the hood of a car is not a good thing but yes, I may be exaggerating a bit.)

Strangely, Matt didn't act surprised by this alarming sight, and after popping the hood and poking around for a few minutes, he nonchalantly mentioned that he had been working on his car that morning and evidently, something had gone wrong.  I won't pretend that I understand the technicalities of his explanation but I know it had something to do with antifreeze.

Luckily our gracious host drove Matt to Auto Zone to purchase something to rectify the problem.   The two of them came inside a while later and assured me that the car was GREAT, NEVER BETTER, A COMPLETELY SAFE VEHICLE IN WHICH TO BE TRANSPORTED HOME, but unfortunately that wasn't true because about three minutes into our return journey, the car kindly alerted us that it was overheating.

WELL HELLO THERE, WHITE SMOKE.  SO NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

The good news is that Matt was able to turn the car off before the engine burst into flames.  The bad news is that we were on the teeny tiny shoulder of a highway in the pitch black.  

Matt is usually a pretty even keeled kind of guy, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him scared.  Actually maybe more like one finger.  And that would be Saturday night.  

He turned the flashers on but we were in sort of a precarious position on the roadway and I don't think I helped to set his mind at ease when I got out of the car and held my cell phone up.  Because sure, the motorists who are barreling towards us at upwards of sixty miles per hour will certainly be able to see a small four inch LED screen and steer away from danger.

Matt said it would be safer to stay in the car so I got back in and tried to tell jokes because apparently that is what I do when I am nervous.    

You know what I'm thankful for?  Friends who will meet you at night on the side of the road with a gallon of water to hold you over until you can get to the store.

You know what else I am thankful for?  Fiances who go into Wal Mart to buy anti-freeze when a fun Saturday night ends badly, and come out with s'mores.

If we got stranded again, at least we wouldn't have to worry about going hungry.
 

Photobucket

Comments

Karla said…
Oh my gosh. Seriously? This was one of the best posts I have read in Blogland in a while!! =) Don't you love when situations that seem really horrible at the moment, turn into really amazing blog posts?! This is so cool. Your fiance sounds like quite an amazing guy! Love that he brought smores!! ..And that he surprised you! =)
Clara Adelin said…
*I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this. Artis
Sarah said…
Oh goodness! Glad you guys are safe! I'm always fearful that my car is going to do that!
Anna said…
I also stay in bed until noon on occasion (quite often, haha)!

Sounds like you had a pretty interesting night, glad everything turned out ok! :)

Seriously Kate said…
Oh wow - that does sound like a jam packed weekend! And that is so sweet, the smores. It makes me smile just thinking of what HE was thinking. I imagine trying to soften the mood. And yes, it's wonderful to have friends like that! And fiancés too. :)

Thanks for stopping by Seriously Kate! I am now your newest follower.

Have a great weekend!
Rachel said…
Oh man! Car trouble can be really scary. We've been stranded a couple times...and I would be completely content never to be stranded again!
Ugh I hate car things! I'm so glad you had friends come help. And that you were buoyed by s'mores.
Angela said…
Looks like you've got a keeper. :) Such a funny story girl, glad it all kinda worked out...
Jen Ham said…
So glad you two got home safe! You are so witty! Love it! xo Jen
Baby Sister said…
Lol. Sounds like an eventful time!! At least Matt has his priorities straight. :)
Jayda said…
Oh my goodness, that's so terrifying! So glad you guys made it home safe, and that you got s'mores out of it :-)