it can only go uphill from here

I have a weekly routine of going to the bank and the gas station every Saturday morning.  Sometimes I will swing by the car wash or the grocery store or the post office depending on the week, but the bank and the gas station are non-negotiable items on my Saturday morning agenda.  

And I usually stop at Dunkin' Donuts first and treat myself to a pre-errand caramel coffee. 

This morning was no different, and as I pulled into the drive through line at Dunkin' Donuts, I was greeted with no less than twenty eight signs informing me that PUMPKIN FEST IS HERE, we have PUMPKIN MUFFINS and PUMPKIN COFFEE and WHITE CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN MOCHAS and PUMPKIN, PUMPKIN, PUMPKIN.

Because I am a marketing company's dream, it took me .3 seconds to decide to hope on the pumpkin bandwagon and when I pulled around to order, I said "Good morning, I'd like a medium pumpkin coffee with cream and sugar, please."

And then the lady said, "I'm sorry, we don't have pumpkin flavors."

Well that's odd, because the entire perimeter of your property here is filled with signs claiming the opposite.

I settled for an iced caramel almond coffee and I'll admit, 'twas delicious.  

Next on my list was the gas station, and it was EMPTY which made my morning since I have lots of issues surrounding maneuvering at crowded gas stations.  I parked my car, slid my debit card, and started to fill up.  

Or so I thought.

I was washing my windows when I glanced at the screen to check the gas progress and saw that the screen said, "PUMP STOPPED, SEE CASHIER."

Here is the part where it's important to note that I HAVE NEVER paid for my gas inside.  Not ever.  I ALWAYS pay at the pump.  But I put on my big girl pants and walked inside and told the gentleman behind the counter about the message on the screen at pump 6.

The man had a thick accent, but he told me that they'd been having trouble with the card reader at that particular pump, so he could try to swipe my card at his register and see if it worked.  "But first," he said,  "you will need to tell me the amount that you would like."

"Okay," I said, "Well, I have a Ford Focus which I think is a twelve gallon tank, and I'm almost on E, so I'd say about ten gallons, please."

Listen, one thing that surpasses any language barrier is laughter.  And he laughed.  OH, DID HE LAUGH.  Because by "amount," he meant DOLLAR AMOUNT, NOT GALLON AMOUNT.

I wanted to just melt into the floor and disappear.

This was not my morning.

Here's looking at you, Sunday.
Photobucket

Comments

Rachel said…
Oh man!! That's no fun! I always used to pay for my gas in cash...and I never liked the whole walking inside and handing the guy a 20 and hoping I wouldn't have to walk in again to get my change afterwards.... Paying by card is a great invention.
Michelle said…
Your blog, it is seriously one of my favorites. I understand all these things so well.

I would break out into hives if I had to pay for my gas inside because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. I will do anything to avoid those sorts of situations. I feel all of your pain right now.
Robin said…
Aaaaaw...if it makes you feel better, there was one time when I went to a gas station I hadn't been since I began driving (I had always gone with my parents but not paid much attention). I didn't realize that you had to flip a switch thingy to make the gas start following at this station...I kept squeezing, then going into the building to insist that something was wrong and I wasn't getting my gas.

Silly of the Dunkin' Donuts people to put up the signage if they won't have the pumpkin stuff. You could go to the company website and see if they have a "Contact Us" form, and let the company know about it.
Sarah said…
HAHA, I love this story. I probably would have done the same thing...or actually, I probably would have said some obscene amount that made no sense related to my tiny car.

It's funny though, I always pay inside after I pump. I am terrified to pay at the pump. I know it's probably SO easy but knowing me it will screw up then people in line behind me will be honking on their horns! lol!

And what the heck was up with the no pumpkin? BOO!
Allison said…
Aw you poor thing. How can anywhere be out of pumpkin flavored anything already?! That's just crazy!
Awww, sounds like you had a rough day! I hope your Sunday DID turn out a lot better :)
Aw I've never paid inside either so I would've had to man up to go inside too. I just had a pumpkin latte this morning--first one this year! That's so odd they advertised it but didn't have the coffee flavors. Dunkin Donuts has messed me up a few times too.

I hope the rest of your weekend was great!
Hilary said…
I used to do the same thing (only paying at the pump with my card) until Josh & I switched to the cash system. One day I gave the cashier $20.00 for my pump, but the pump didn't stop until $20.03. There was a county cop (2, actually) in the parking lot, so I took 3 pennies in to the cashier. I thought I had to! She laughed at me and shook her head as she took my money, but I'm not getting arrested for driving away from the pump and owing $.03!
Fran said…
I would die... I don't think I've ever paid for gas inside, ever ever. I would not know what to do lol
LOL this reminds me of my embarrassing trip to Starbucks. Funny how our minds work in the mornings!!
Kenzie Smith said…
It is one of my pet peeves when places announce they have something.. then don't have it. Especially since I usually get my heart set on that one thing ha ha. So strange that they had all of those signs.. but nothing pumpkin flavored.
I have a Ford Focus too :D I love the gas mileage they get!
All the pump here charge more if you pay at the pump so I am trying to pay in cash but it never works! The card at the pump is way easier! That stinks they got you all hyped about pumpkin and couldn't deliver!!
P!nky said…
Oh pumpkin time...just I don't even know,...it's everywhere!

OH sweet girl I know how you feel, I remember my first paying not at the pump experience, it's ok everyone has it!

xoxo
Julia Barger said…
HA! That is too funny. Totally something I would do!
Kari said…
Oh, man! I would have said the same thing, too! You were very logical in your conclusion, so he was rude to laugh at you. Hope your week is off to a better start! I thought that was hilarious about them not having pumpkin flavored coffee. They should give you something free since they made you crave something by their marketing they didn't even have:) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm excited to follow along on your daily adventures:)
Laurie Olsen said…
Uhm. I would be like $10? No no it's not 1999. Uhm.... $30? Screw this I'm out.

Go you for sticking with it!
Baby Sister said…
So...why advertise pumpkin coffee if they're not going to sell it? Lame.
srjones03 said…
I absolutely HATE going into the gas station. If I get a pump with a bad card reader I get back in the car and move to another pump!!