Tuesday, April 8, 2014

business as usual

The weekend after Matt and I returned from our honeymoon, I was stricken with sickness in the form of a cough and congestion.  Initially I thought it was simply a cold, but when I was still feeling lousy two weeks later and waking up several times each night coughing, I suspected it was something more serious. 

Memories of happier times...

But did the persistent symptoms and sleepless nights cause me to call the doctor?  Of course not.  I didn't make that call until I had a coughing fit in Target that was so bad I had to leave.  Apparently I can put up with sleepless nights, but clearly being interrupted while shopping that is a situation that requires some sort of urgent remedy via a medical professional.

I left work early the very next afternoon to head to the doctor.  In the exam room I highlighted the coughing spells and made sure to add some extra drama, and even told the doctor that due to a neighbor's faulty home alarm system we were sleeping with two very loud fans in our bedroom, and my coughing still woke both me and Matt.

She asked me if I ever gasped for air during the coughing and while technically I hadn't, I hesitated with my answer just long enough to put some reasonable doubt in her mind.

The doctor checked me out and then diagnosed me with a sinus infection.  She wrote a prescription for the sinus infection but not the cough, so I asked her if she had an over the counter alternative she'd recommend. 

"Well," she said, "honey sure works great."

Doc, I haven't slept a solid night in two weeks between my neighbor's faulty alarm system and my moderate to severe cough.  I am looking for a prescription for Robitussin with codeine and authorization for a refill or five.

Apparently my cough wasn't bad enough to warrant a prescription, but I hightailed it to CVS to pick up my other prescription and a large bottle of honey - NATURE'S COUGH SUPPRESSANT.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also picked up two Reese's Easter eggs on my way to the pharmacy counter to get my medicine, which turned out to be in the form of a NASAL SPRAY.

DISGUSTING.

Matt called as I was walking to my car, and the timing of his call was perfect because I was able to share with him the wonderful news that his new bride would be self-administering a nasal spray every hours hours around the clock for the foreseeable future.

I've never been so attractive.

It turns out that I wasn't the only one having a bad day.  Matt was calling to see if I could "come save him at Acme," where he'd unfortunately found himself at the end of the checkout line with a basket full of food and no wallet. 

Last week was not our week.

I'm happy to report things are going much better this week.  

Although, there was really nowhere to go but up.







12 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Rude. I'm sorry you're sick!! And I'm sorry you didn't get any real meds for your cough. I hope you feel better soon!! I hope you and Mary, oh, I mean Matt, have a continually better week. ;)

Paige Gunter said...

That's terrible. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Pamela said...

Aww yes hope things are looking up 100%!!

The Lady Okie said...

Oh man! That's a week for sure. But I laughed when you said you could handle sleepless nights, but when it interrupted your shopping, you knew something needed to be done ;)

ae said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Nasal sprays are the worst. I actually cannot use them because they cause major nose bleeds for me. {sorry tmi}

Kate @ Daffodils said...

O my goodness, what a start! Hope you are feeling better!

Kristin said...

Hope you guys have a better weekend!!

Dee D said...

Hopefully, this will be a better week for the both of you. I have to admit though, you had me cracking up while I was reading your post. I think it's awesome that you have such a great sense of humor even when things are going wrong. Feel better... :)

Mateya said...

At least you can laugh about it now, or hopefully soon haha!

I had an awful cough like that once and the only thing that helped was a prescription cough syrup with codein to help me sleep. Hope you're feeling better!

Shenine joon said...

Sinus infecfions are the worst. Honey/lemon hot water helps for cough and also warm milk with tumeric. Worth a shot if you still have the cough. How you're feeling better. I can't believe they didn't give you the cough syrup with codeine

Meg {henninglove} said...

there are some days or weeks you just have to laugh to help get yourself through it :-) we have all been there

Faith said...

sounds like exactly what I was going through last week. I finally went to my doctors and she gave me cough medicine, nasal spray and allergy medicine. I was a mess but feel so much better today!