Monday, June 2, 2014

things are a little fowl around here

About three weeks ago, I discovered that a bird had built a nest in the gutter between our condo and our neighbor's. A few days later a robin started to sit on the nest, and naturally I kept a very close eye on things and didn't even sweep that side of the patio or weed that end of the garden lest I disturb her.

The babies finally hatched last Saturday, and I've become borderline obsessed with the whole situation ever since.  I check on them every morning before I leave for work and immediately when I get home.  I sit outside at our picnic table and watch the mama bird fly in with worms and feed her cheeping babies.  I've done exhaustive research on baby robins.  I worry when it rains hard, or when the carpenter bee that's also taken up residence on our patio flies too close to them.  I've taken countless photos of the nest and yesterday I even took a three minute video of the babies.

Last night I HAD A DREAM about our baby birds learning to fly.  Even I know that's a bit unusual, and a sure sign that I need to REIGN IN THE CRAZY because I am officially losing it.

And then I was emailing back and forth with my dad this morning and he told me that he and my mom got four little tadpoles for their backyard pond this weekend. 

And my mom named them. 

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

So evidently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I got home from work today and when I walked in, I saw Matt on the couch.  He looked awful.  He was sneezing and sniffling and his eyes were red and watery and swollen.

I asked him what was wrong and he said, "Well, my allergies are acting up.  I knew I shouldn't have followed that turkey."  

Hmm.  Now that's a statement that's going to require a bit of clarification.

Evidently when he pulled into our parking lot, he spotted a turkey.  So he got out of his car and sneakily followed the turkey into the woods because he wanted to see where it lived.

His search was unsuccessful, but he has big plans to hit the woods again, WITH A TURKEY CALL, to see if he can find the turkey homestead. 

Where do we sign up for a our birdwatcher's memberships?

Photobucket

9 comments:

Molly said...

I'm mildly terrified of tadpoles (because they grow up to be frogs, obviously), but I laughed out loud at their names. So clever.

Baby Sister said...

Lol! You two are a match made in heaven. ;)

Renee Miller said...

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - that's funny. I'm sure Young will be gone shortly.

Tiffany Gregory said...

Haha! I think this post has truly made my day! I love your writing style, by the way. :-)

Catherine {Spring in my Step} said...

Too funny! It's so easy to get attached to the wild life around our suburban homes :)
- Catherine, cgspringer.blogspot.com

Brittany said...

awww little birdies. Love that your husband tried to follow the turkey that is too funny

Paige Gunter said...

Laura, have you thought of buying one of those birdhouses that attach to your window? Apparently you can see what happens inside, while they enjoy their new home.

Michelle said...

Hahahaha!!!! This is hilarious. I would've become just as obsessed with the birds for sure.

scrapperjen said...

I love watching birds. A turkey call...I love it. I HAD to giggle reading that!