it's a wonder we keep going back

Since I've last written here our baby robins have left the nest and it was a very emotional time.  I've gotten myself a promotion at work. And our condo complex pool opened.  Basically, BOY HAVE I BEEN BUSY.

Also, we bought two more new tires which brings our tally to $ix new tire$ in just shy of four months of marriage, for those keeping track at home.  

Matt and I have also been keeping up with our gym routine on a fairly regular basis.  I wish I could say we've come a long way from our slightly awkward gym beginnings, but that's not exactly the case.

On our first visit to the gym, I approached a weight machine and took a seat.  I set the weights to a whopping 15 pounds and started lifting, but it felt awkward.  After my first set of reps (I totally have the gym lingo down) Matt came over and informed me that I was sitting on the machine backwards, which explained my difficulty.  I thought the part where you lean you chest/stomach was a backrest.

Evidently the focus of the gym is not on comfort and relaxation. 


Our routine includes a half hour on the treadmills, and we always try to get two next to each other so we can mouth things to each other like "what do you want to do for dinner?" and "I could really go for a blueberry pie" mid workout.

When thirty minutes is up, Matt turns his machine off and as it slows down, dramatically slides to the end and leaps off to go get paper towels to wipe off the treadmills.  Well, the other night he forgot to hit the stop button.  And so when he returned with the paper towels, he hopped back up on the STILL MOVING treadmill to wipe it off and took himself QUITE the tumble.  There was a split second of terror but after we realized he was okay we I had a good laugh.

And for the past several days I've gotten a lot of mileage out of his little mishap.  I've brought it up several times, but that ended yesterday.  

Because, pride. It cometh before the fall.

I was strolling along at an impressive speed last night when a message started scrolling across my treadmill screen.  "NEED HEART RATE. PLACE HANDS ON SENSORS OR USE TELEMETRY METER."

I was familiar with the hand sensors, but a telemetry meter?  Now that sounded new and interesting and fun.  I scanned the machine and on the side saw a small red disk attached to the treadmill with a cord, so I figured, HELLO, TELEMETRY METER.  

And so I proceeded to grab that little "meter" except IT WAS THE EMERGENCY STOP BUTTON.  The treadmill stopped immediately but unfortunately my body kept  moving at a 3.9 speed setting and I almost flipped right over the front of the machine.

Thank you, inertia.

Once I got my bearings I looked down at the treadmill screen and what I saw was even more embarassing.  The screen was flashing:  "MACHINE STOPPED.  NEED MANAGER RESET."

I abandoned that treadmill in no time flat and took off to the weight machines.  

At least I know how to use those correctly.


Photobucket

Comments

Breanna said…
Ha ha ha that was great! I'm sorry to hear the gym has been so rough on you but it sure makes for some funny reading :)
Baby Sister said…
Lol! I hate the emergency cord on my treadmill. It's so annoying. My hand sometimes accidentally pulls it off when I'm working out and it just kills everything, and I lose all of my information, it resets everything. I usually just give up at that point. So good luck with that in the future. :)
ae said…
I feel your pain with the gym clumsiness. I am impressed you have only had one incident. I tend to trip/fall the minute I step into a gym. ;)
Ember Grey. said…
This is hilarious and I TOTALLY feel you! My husband and I have the same type of conversations while on the treadmill although in addition to our dinner plans, it's also usually something like, "Oh! It's a new Cops episode on! Channel 15!" (And I have never heard of the Telemetry Meter either!)
Kayla MKOY said…
UGH I haaaate that emergency stop button, I've accidentally clicked that a time or two mid workout - so scary, and so frustrating!!! Glad you're getting the gym lingo down ;)
Rachel said…
hahaha! A gym seems to be a good place for you to go if you want to come back with stories!
And we've bought a total of 10 tires in our marriage...but that's over 3 years, so it's not nearly as impressive.
Jodi said…
OMG! That is too funny! Glad you are both ok. My worst nightmare is falling off the treadmill. I am stupid when it comes to gym machines and always get so nervous I'll break something!!
Brittany said…
omygosh! hahaha that is pretty fun about both of your unfortunate treadmill mishaps.
Sara Holt said…
Haha I love this! I've been going to the YMCA for several years now and I can't say my experiences are much better! Here's hoping your gym mishaps are behind you guys! At least they make for great laughs!
Marley Marie said…
Hahahaha I love the gym stories- too funny!! And we literally just got a flat tire yesterday....ughh?!
-Marley
http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/
Faith said…
omg, so funny! you are seriously the funniest!
Shadia Brown said…
Haha love this!! Those treadmills are tricky!
Andrea H. said…
TOO funny!! I always have a fear that something will go terribly wrong when I'm on the treadmill! At least you were both ok!
Kelly Fulkerson said…
As someone who fell off the treadmill just this morning, I greatly appreciate your post reminding me I'm not the only one!! ;)