Tuesday, September 2, 2014

i'm like the girl who cried snake

One of the tasks on my to-do list for this past weekend was to pull the dead plants out of the rest of our garden.  I got a lot done last weekend, but I jumped ship after my disgusting discovery of the herd of worms residing in it.  However, as Mark Twain says, “Humor is tragedy plus time,” so I figured it was time to crack a few jokes and get back in the game.

Or back in the garden, as it were.

Thankfully the worm situation was not as bad as it had been the weekend before, and in no time at all I had the rest of the dead plants torn out and the dirt and mulch overturned.  When I was finished I sat at the picnic table admiring my handiwork, and considered buying some mums for the fall to jazz the patio up a little bit.

A little later Matt asked if I would like to accompany him on a drive to a state gameland about 45 minutes from our house so that he could do some research for the upcoming hunting season. 

Let me take a moment to explain that this is my first hunting season actually living with a hunter, and I am quickly learning that the preparation to hunt is almost as great a joy as the actual hunting is.  Over the past few weeks, there have been hunting magazines arriving in our mailbox, detailed online research being conducted, and many a phone call between Matt and his dad planning their strategy.
 
I knew excitement had hit level 10 when I came home from work on Friday afternoon and Matt was sitting on the couch arranging his bullets in what appeared to be the male equivalent of a makeup case.

Since I love a good ride through the country, I was all in for the hunting recon trip.  After I showered and got ready, I walked into the living room wearing cute black shorts and a white blouse and a pair of turquoise sandals whose time to be worn is limited because HELLO SEPTEMBER.

You may want to bring some shoes and socks,” Matt said, “We might have to walk through cornfields.

Hmm.
 
I went back to our room and got my feet properly outfitted while I told Matt I had no idea how much preparation was involving in hunting.  “It’s like when you want to buy a new pair of shoes,” he said. “You go to the mall and look at all of the various possibilities, and then you go home and think about what you saw, and then you go back and make the commitment.”

Well now you’re speaking my language.

We set off on our adventure, but I had no idea the wilderness part of the journey was going to begin so soon.  As we walked down the sidewalk to our parking lot, you will never guess what slithered across our path.

A snake.

A real, live, not-a-worm, giant, long, scaly SNAKE.

I shrieked and jumped and watched it slither into our neighbor’s garden while Matt followed it saying, “now THAT is a snake!”


All I can say is that I guess my decision has been made about the mums.  

My gardening career is over.

And now I'm wondering if Matt could hunt this snake as well.




Photobucket

8 comments:

Breann Hays said...

Hahahaha you should just embrace it and become a snake charmer :)

Robin said...

Snakes are cool - they kill rats and mice that carry disease, or could be nibbling on the plants in your garden. They're good to have around.

Emily said...

So basically what Matt is saying is that he doesn't buy shoes on impulse? ;)

Rebecca Jo said...

You jinxed yourself. :)
Snakes read your blog post the other day & said, 'lets show her what we really look like' :)

Oh no... hunting season begins soon. I secretly pray for all the deer...

Sarah said...

Ek! That's all. And I had no idea how much prep went into hunting, who would have known.

Ashley @ A Cute Angle said...

Our house butts up to wetlands. Plus that no one lives behind us, major minus that there are snakes! This was the first year I'd seen them in our yard and they were freakin' ALL OVER. Hello panic attacks. Our beds look like sh*t and I don't even care! We're ripping them out and putting in grass next spring.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

There is nothing...NOTHING....worse than a snake. We visited my mother-in-law in June, and she lives way out in the country. I woke up from a nap one afternoon, looked out the window to the front yard, and saw a copperhead slithering up the bird bath. I WILL RECOVER FROM IT.

Baby Sister said...

Growing up my father was determined that his kids were not going to be afraid of snakes, so whenever he found one he would bring it home and have us hold it, etc. His plan worked, I don't think of any of us are afraid of snakes (and there are a lot of girls in my family.) Too bad spiders aren't included in that. :)
Ummm...I never buy shoes like that. I am very much an impulse shopper...something that drives my husband crazy more often than not. ;)
Good luck with hunting season!! I've never had to experience it fully like you will be, but I'm sure it will be entertaining. At least you'll have lots of stories for your blog. :)