on the plus side, at least i know she will always be honest with me about my wardrobe

Two years ago my sister was a junior in high school, which meant PROM.  Even though the prom wasn't until the spring, she started talking about it in the fall, and got a beautiful dress and finalized all of the standard prom-related plans well in advance.

And then, about three weeks before the prom, the school principal called all of the upperclassmen into the auditorium and announced that there had been a terrible oversight, and that the prom wasn't actually scheduled on the date they thought it was.   They had called around to all of the local venues, but there were none still available on that date, so the prom was postponed for a few weeks.

It is worth nothing that Emily attended an all girls high school, so please imagine the drama that followed a crisis of such proportions.  Emily remained remarkably calm about the whole situation, but things at school were operating at a LEVEL TEN on the drama scale.  She said that the entire auditorium cried when the announcement was made.

Faculty and students alike.

I do not miss high school.

It turns out that the rescheduled date was also the day of my cousin's wedding, so Emily went to the fancy wedding in the city instead of to the prom.  However, since she had the dress, she wore it to the wedding and looked beautiful.  It's one of my favorites ever.


This past year, the senior prom was scheduled (and confirmed, well in advance), and she wore this pink dress.

We have another family wedding in October, and the other day Em and I were talking about what we were going to wear.  I was in the middle of telling her that I hadn't decided on a dress yet, when her navy prom dress popped into my head.

"Hey," I said, "would you mind if I borrowed that prom dress of yours for the wedding?"

"OH, LAURA!!" she said.  "TO A WEDDING?!  I REALLY DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT."

"What do you mean?" I asked.  "You wore it to a wedding!"

After a minute, she said, "OH, THAT PROM DRESS. I THOUGHT YOU MEANT MY SENIOR YEAR PROM DRESS!"

And all weekend it has made me laugh to picture my twenty six year old self wearing that frilly pink prom dress to a church wedding and country club reception.  The other guests would really think I'd gone off the deep end.

And evidently, Emily thinks I already have.


Comments

Robin said…
I think both dresses are beautiful and would be fine at any wedding. :) Especially next to some of the bridesmaid dresses I have seen. Unless you dare to wear all white and "upstage" the bride, you can't really mess up.
Rebecca Jo said…
That's awful they messed up the date... I mean limos are being rented, people asking off work.. that's just dumb...

That pink dress seriously looks like one off of Pretty in Pink!!! The one her dad found for her!!! :)
Good story. I don't miss high school either.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
That blue dress is really pretty and unique!! Fun story :)
Baby Sister said…
I don't miss high school either!! No thank you.

That blue dress is beautiful!! But I think you should have worn the pink dress, it would have been perfect. ;)