i hope this post doesn't embarrass my parents

I woke up on the first Saturday morning of spring and saw this out my window.  I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.  Come on, spring, get a move on.



I cheered up a little bit and then Matt asked if I'd like to go to the mall with him because he found himself in the market for some sunglasses.  I never turn down a trip to the mall, so off we went.  We wandered through Macy's and Matt said, "I wonder if I could get some cologne while we're here.  I've been thinking of getting some.  A nice musk."

Well, I couldn't have been more shocked if I'd see an elephant.

We got to the sunglasses and I immediately remembered that Matt has issues with sunglasses.  And those issues run deep.

Here's how I buy sunglasses.  I walk up to the $3.00 rack in Wal Mart and pick the pair with the most rhinestones.

Here's how Matt buys sunglasses.  He identifies a pair and then proceeds through a checklist that includes but is not limited to the following specifications:  They can't be too tight.  The arms have to be thin because he doesn't want to lose any peripheral vision.  They must have a very dark tint.  No aviators.  The nose pads must be comfortable, but not too thick so his nose doesn't get sweaty.  The tops of the glasses cannot touch his eyebrows.

He is like the Goldilocks of sunglasses.

After about fifteen pairs failed his test, I said, "Matt, what is it that you are envisioning?"

"Well," he said, "I basically just want to look tricked out."

Tricked out and smelling like musk.  He is full of surprises.

We left the mall an hour later without sunglasses or musk cologne and while the sunglasses search will continue, I think we may have dodged a bullet with the musk.

On Saturday evening we went out with friends, and I threw caution to the wind and had a giant iced coffee at 5:00 p.m.  So when we got home, sleep was the last thing on my mind and I decided to clean instead.

Matt turned on some music, specifically patriotic instrumental bagpipe music.  It's a long story, but basically thanks to St. Patrick's Day he is on a bagpipes kick.  

After a while we decided to take a little bagpipes break, and when I turned on the Eagles Pandora station, this song came on.  


My parents love Steely Dan, and growing up I bet I heard this song five hundred times.  I sang my little heart out and then pulled up my Pandora app so I could give the song a thumbs up, when much to my surprise I saw the title was "Reelin' in the Years."

I always thought it was "Reelin' in the East."

As in- I don't know what they're doing over in the west, but we're reeling here in the east.

You learn something new every day.  And on Saturday I learned I should verify song lyrics before I belt them out with confidence.  Who knows what else I'm singing incorrectly. 

Maybe Matt's onto something with the bagpipe music.

Comments

Baby Sister said…
Oh Matt sounds a lot like Aaron!! He's way too picky for his own good. It drives me batty.
Don't worry, we're reeling here in the west too. ;)
P!nky said…
Tricked out and musk, too funny!

I've done the same thing with songs, no sweat lady!
LOLOL nooo! MFD has a lot of those lyric misunderstandings.
Rebecca Jo said…
I can't believe how many lyrics I have learned I've been wrong on through the years....

Yep - if I have any sort of coffee past 3:00 - I'm not going to sleep till midnight.

Your husband & the sunglasses. that's interesting. I'm like you - give me what's on clearance. I'm loosing those babies in a week anyways.
Michelle said…
Ahahaha tricked out!! I love it so much.

It warms my soul that someone grew up listening to Steely Dan too. Last week my dad even brought one of their records over for me to listen to.
Brittany said…
I have a weird fondess for bagpipe music, too. It does, however, remind me of policemen funerals. Ugh.
Becky said…
I'm pretty sure I sing the lyrics wrong in like 1 out of every 3 songs… :P If it sounds right I just go with it! I'm only singing to myself in the car after all. This is also the reason why I don't do karaoke.
Martha Woods said…
Ha! My friends and I do this all the time. Right now they keep playing George Ezra's "Budapest" on the radio at work, and one of my friends is CONVINCED that when he sings "my beautiful Castillo" he's actually saying "my burrito"...so now that has become known as "the burrito song" and we sing it when we go to lunch. Yes, we're very weird.
Matt sounds just like my husband. He's so picky when it comes to sunglasses! We all belt out the wrong words from time to time.
Melanie Smith said…
Confession- I thought it was "apple bottom jeans, boots with the spurs...." forever. Until my sister asked me why a rap song would be about spurs.