well, i won't be cooking lentils again

My sister was home for spring break this week, so I took a few days off work and we did all the important things like going to the mall and out to lunch and Sonic and Michael's Arts and Crafts.

Twice.

It was back to reality today and I will admit, it was not my favorite Thursday.  Not only did I have to return to work after five glorious days of freedom, but I also cooked lentil curry soup for dinner.

As it turns out, I don't like lentils.

Or curry.

And most especially, I don't like the two of them combined in a soup.

All I have to say is thank goodness for that bag of chicken nuggets hiding in the back of the freezer.

It was my first foray into Indian food after quite a hiatus.  The last time I ate Indian food was sophomore year of college, when I went to an Indian restaurant with some friends and our waitress dropped an entire plate of tikka masala on me and my brand new cream colored sweater.

It was a bad night.

After my lentil curry disaster, I headed out for a walk around our apartment complex because HELLO, FORTY NINE DEGREES AND A 7:05 SUNSET.

This morning, Matt mentioned having a Thrifty Thursday meeting after dinner tonight.

Yes, that is a thing.  Matt coined the term "Thrifty Thursdays" a few months back and he likes to rendezvous each Thursday evening to discuss savings and stocks and insurance and budgets and make sure that we're both on the same page.

And I like to discuss the chances of me being able to to go into early retirement.  And by early, I mean sometime in the next 6-12 months.

Spoiler alert: it's not looking good.

Matt didn't mention our Thrifty Thursday meeting after work so I was secretly hoping he'd forgotten since I don't know how many times I can use the story that there was a sale I couldn't possibly pass up at Target/Macy's/Ikea/the nail salon before we have a needs vs. wants conversation.

However, when I returned from my walk, Matt said, "THANK GOODNESS YOU'RE BACK.  I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT OUR THRIFTY THURSDAY MEETING."

He called the meeting to order (actually he didn't, but how funny would that be?) and 1.5 hours later I took it upon myself as co-president to adjourn the meeting.

I was experiencing information overload.

But speaking of thrifty, I bought a shelf at the thrift store last weekend for $2.00.  I got some paint at one of our many trips to Michael's this week, and for a novice painter I think the transformation was pretty impressive.


 (Emily helped.)

As far thriftiness goes, I think I have the arts and crafts department down.

Cuisine?  Not so much.

There are some areas of the budget where you should splurge.

And dinner is one of them.

Comments

Love, love, LOVE that shelf. Is it light enough to hang with just a nail? I need one!
Trish said…
I hate it when I put a bunch of effort into a meal and then end up thinking I'd have been better off foraging for dinner in a dumpster. Your self turned out really nice though :)
Brittany said…
I can't get over the visual of a waitress spilling tikka masala all over you. That's a nightmare, but if I'm going to have something all over me, tikka masala would probably be pretty high on the list. YUM.
LifeasKLK said…
that shelf looks great!! We have our fair share of thrifty thursday conversations and we aren't even engaged yet (to be fair V does work in finance) ;) Be thankful yours are reserved to Thursdays!
Bahaha! My husband tried cooking lentils a few weeks ago and it was a huge disaster! I'm still not even sure what it is!
The Lady Okie said…
You kill me! This is hilarious. I love the irony of you hoping the meeting will be cancelled because you want to go shopping. Awesome. Do the meetings really last 1.5 hours? Because that's intense. But if you can retire in 6 months I'd say it's worth it! Jordan and I are convinced we won't retire before we die. So that's a thing.
Amie said…
I don't know about the curry but if you ever decide to try the lentils again saute some yellow onion and sausage then add your water and lentils. (salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste) They are so good that way :) I mean if you like beans in general.
Rebecca Jo said…
I made lentils for the first time a few weeks ago. Luckily, my recipe turned out AMAZING! It has walnuts & olives in it. Sounds weird - tasted delish
I love how your shelf turned out-- such a great bargan for $2! It's always so disappointing when you make something and don't end up liking it! I loooove lentils, though I prefer just a traditional lentil soup- I once tried to make lentil chili and it was not good!
The shelf looks great! I make culinary mistakes all the time. And I tend to do it on a grand scale. For example, I wanted to try bean soup with chicken. But I didn't realize how much one bag of bean soup would end up being (dried beans expand so much!). So I ended up making a brimming crock pot full of a very bland, grey soup that I had to eat for 2 weeks. Mistakes were made!
ANDYSTYLE said…
you are so cute :) Very Lovely

http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/
Baby Sister said…
Uff. I'm glad your shelf adventure turned out better than your food adventure. I do like curry, but I've never been brave enough to try lentils. I'm not very brave when it comes to food. Frozen food is definitely a must for us as well, we always have something...just in case. ;)