Thursday, October 8, 2015

clever title here

It seems like everywhere I turn these days, people are talking about how much they love fall, and sharing pictures of colorful leaves and cozy sweaters and steaming coffee mugs with the Anne of Green Gables quote, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

Well Anne, I have to disagree.  Admittedly, the weather this week hasn't been too bad, but after three straight days of cold rain, last Friday I looked at the attorney I share an office with and said, "Well, it's official.  I'm going to be in a bad mood until May."

On my way home from work I remembered that I didn't have a dinner plan, so I crossed my fingers that there was a frozen pizza in the freezer, or at least a few stray hot dogs in the back of the fridge.

When I got home, I immediately changed into my warmest clothes, and just as I was grumpily wrapping myself in a quilt, Matt walked in the door with two bags from the grocery store and told me not to come into the kitchen until dinner was finished.

Don't have to tell me twice.

And a little while later he served salmon with a honey dijon reduction, a salad, and fresh asparagus.  And then for dessert, homemade crab dip and Fritos.

Now that is my kind of dessert. I'm not a cake person, not even on my birthday.  Stick a candle in a bowl of Doritos and I'm a happy girl.

We did some (rainy) house hunting this weekend.  We still haven't picked one, but there are some prospects and I've been thinking about paint colors for weeks.  In fact, in a moment of unbridled home improvement enthusiasm tonight, I declared myself Captain of the Paint Patrol.

Listen.  No one was more shocked than I was when those words came out of my mouth.  I painted my bedroom a lovely shade of sea foam green when I was in ninth grade, but since then the only thing I've painted is my nails.

On a semi-weekly basis.

It's like I've been training for 13 years to paint a house.

On Monday I woke up to not only some sun, but also a notification from Facebook that Michelle and I had been Facebook friends for nine years.  

Nine years and just as humble as ever.  

My very first memory of Michelle is from freshman year of college.  I was in her dorm room and she was raving about this new calendar she got that was keeping her so organized and on track.  I was so inspired by her organizational breakthrough that I asked if I could see it.  She pulled it off the wall to show me, and there was only one thing written on that calendar, a standing appointment every Monday from 8-10.  It said, "The Bachelor."

Facebook put together a little collage of our friendship, and the pictures on my page were of both of us.  At my wedding.  Down the shore.  Riding posing on a bicycle built for two we found in the shed at Matt's family's beach house.


And then Michelle sent the pictures from her collage.  And aside from two pictures of our apartment, they are all pictures of me.  

Me at my wedding.  

Me holding Michelle's niece.  

Me putting the star on the Christmas tree.

It's like Michelle is my personal paparazzi.

I can only hope she's available when we buy a house to come and photograph me in my role as Captain of the Paint Patrol.  

I'll try to schedule the painting sessions around the Bachelor.  

14 comments:

Emily said...

How about you just reenact scenes from the Bachelor for her WHILE you're painting and she's paparazzi-ing. Yes!

ae said...

I love fall, but that is because I live in the south. It is sad when you look forward to 80 degree weather (and that is considered "cool" weather).

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

It's soooo nice to see another blogger who's not totally obsessed with fall! It must be because I grew up in Connecticut, and I always dreaded fall because it meant summer was over and winter was coming. Now that I live in the south, I enjoy it more but I don't get all crazy excited about it lol. And a candle in doritos? Genius :)

Green Fashionista

Bijoux said...

Another dreader of what comes after Fall here! I love to paint. Moved here three years ago and have just about changed every hall and room's color.

Evelina said...

I am glad I am not the only one that paints her nails semi-weekly. I actually just finished lol Happy weekend!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

I am one of those that love Fall... But I will admit there are some things I don't love about it. Stink bugs for one and being cold. As long as I can wrap up in bunches of warm clothes, I'm totally okay. Plus I prefer sunshine. Rain for days upon end is never very fun! And that dinner and dessert sounds amazing, even better that you didn't prepare it! :) Have a great weekend!

Jenny said...

I hate the cold too. Although I do find certain things about fall that I love, I hate! hate! hate!! winter. And fall signals the weather is going to be cold and then winter is coming. So, I'm trying really hard to enjoy what we have of fall and not think about winter until it snows and I can't escape it. And then I will be focusing on spring coming and how great it will be then.

Amanda - Voyage of the MeeMee said...

Let's see some paint swatches!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Hahahaha, I'm guilty!! I LOOOOVE all things fall!! BUT. I absolutely HATE cold weather after December 31. Once Christmas and New Year's Eve are over, I'm ready for the cold weather to get to stepping!! January and February super suck.

Emily Gilbert said...

I am so on the autumn band wagon. The weather has been nuts though. Just yesterday it got to 91 degrees (WTF!) and today was a humble 70. And I've been taking pictures of every tree that has changed color. I exhaust myself.

Your husband sounds awesome.

Good luck on your house hunt! When I bought my house I took a mental note to what I wanted to paint each room, than my mom decided for me and it all changed. LOL. (it's fine... really).

Happy 9 years being Facebook friends with your friend :)

Kelli @ A Deeper Joy said...

Haha! Love The Bachelor on her calendar :-p I do it too! It is just hot here still - doesn't really feel like fall - though this morning, it was a little chilly. Good luck with house hunting!

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh, we are going to buy our first house when we move to Idaho and I'm the same way about paint! Hahaha. I have a pinterest board of house stuff and it's mostly shades of grey and palates that go with it. LOL! You aren't alone.

Frikken Duckie said...

Yeah, where I live there's really no such thing as fall. It's just summer all year round. Lol.

Baby Sister said...

Hey, if painting your nails counts as experience to painting a house, then I am an expert! I'll start adding that to my resume.

Good luck, captain!