the orange room part 1

Matt and I moved into our house on December 5th, and because we are planners, we had a handwritten, detailed list of projects we wanted to complete, in order of priority.  And then on December 6th, I vacuumed the whole house and when I got to the spare bedroom with the old, orange shag carpet, I could not even bring myself to enter the room.

So I said to Matt, "You feel like pulling that rug up?"

He agreed and right then and there we veered from our carefully prepared list and ripped the rug right up.  When we were finished we looked at each other and Matt said, "Wow. I wasn't really ready to do that."




It was the right move though.  The carpet had been there for 48 years and I have to say it did not age well.

There were original hardwood floors hiding beneath the rug, so Matt and I began the tedious tasks of pulling the nails and staples out of the hardwoods.

After about ten minutes I transitioned myself to the role of supervisor and pointed out protruding nails and staples as I swept the floor and referred to us as Chip and Joanna.

I was really enjoying the position of job site supervisor and the power that came with it, and I said to Matt "Oh look, you missed a nail.  Right there under that bracket.  I'm just like Joanna now, casually throwing around technical hardware terms like bracket."

And Matt said, "Yeah.  Except that's not a bracket.  It's a door hinge."

TO-MAY-TO, TO-MAH-TO.

The next night we went to Lowe's to buy some supplies for room, and when we got to the moulding aisle, Matt PULLED A TAPE MEASURE OFF OF HIS BELT.

I was so impressed that he thought to bring one, and also slightly intimidated, because my measuring habits would be put to the test since we were headed to the light bulb aisle next.  I needed a replacement bulb for my Scentsy, and I'd brought the old bulb with me so I'd know what wattage to buy.  However, I knew from online research that you couldn't buy an exact Scenty bulb replica in stores, and that I'd have to get a differently shaped bulb.  To make sure that I got a bulb that would fit in the Scentsy, I measured the warmer before we left.

And by "measured" I mean it was "from the base of my ring finger to the stripe of glitter in my nail polish" inches wide.

It might not be the most technical method, but it worked.

And I know Joanna would be proud.


Comments

Faith said…
Yup, she would so be proud! Hahahaha!
MilitaryPugWife said…
Hope you guys are having a great Christmas!!
Emily Jane said…
Pulling up old carpet is a tedious task! My dad help me rip some old stuff out of my living room and hallway last spring. It was dusty and OMG the staples- ENDLESS STAPLES, but I'm glad we got it out of the way :)
Sara McCarty said…
You're a DIY genius, if you ask me! ;)
LOL...I have bought the wrong size bulbs about a zillion times. I like your style.
Liz Jo said…
Personally I love carpeted floor, but new carpet! That carpet looks so old and disgusting, who knows what was growing in there. At some point you just get the dirt and age out of a carpet.

Your house looks better already! Can't wait to see the house tour!

liz @ sundays with sophie
I am completely useless when it comes to DIY home projects.. it took me 3 days to paint my small kitchen...... haha
bahahaha 'to the stripe of glitter in my nail polish' love it.
that carpet... woah. KC and I had a hand written list when we moved in as well, first on the list was painting the living room, which we did, but halfway through we decided to rip up all the carpet and lay new floors, so that was fun and NOT on the list lol. I don't even remember where that list is now ;)
Melissa said…
Oh, fixer upper...a show after my own heart! Good for you tackling those projects! We have so many we want to tackle...it's going to take ages O.o
Kristin said…
This is the story of our lives. We've pulled up THREE carpets in the last 18 months and have one more to go, eventually.
It takes a special person to participate in this :)
Rachel said…
I'd say that getting rid of that carpet asap was a smart move. Reminds me of the carpet in the first home I grew up in--the fact that carpet like that had survived till 2015...that's kind of mind-boggling!
Baby Sister said…
Ugh. Starting off with the orange carpet was the perfect choice. That's just wrong.

Your measuring style and my measuring style are sounding very similar. :) Whatever works, right? :)