starting 2016 with a new garbage disposal and without a pair of corduroy pants

The other night as I was cleaning up from dinner and rinsing some plates in the sink, I smelled a terrible, terrible smell.

So like all good wives do, I said to Matt, "Something really stinks over here, you come here and smell it."

With a whiff and a reach into the drain to discover old broccoli, tuna fish, and other unidentifiable food, we knew Wednesday night was going to be the night we replaced the garbage disposal.

Matt had purchased a new garbage disposal on Black Friday that we planned to use when we remodel the kitchen, so we conveniently had one on hand.

I was downstairs when Matt started on the project, but when he walked through the family room to his workshop to get some tools, he said, "Do you think you could write a blog about this?"  So here's Matt, happily prepared to replace the garbage disposal.  This smile was before he realized that it had been on there for 40 years and was therefore terribly corroded and almost impossible to remove.

After several minutes trying to remove the old disposal, Matt said, "Hmm, maybe it actually twists the other way."

And then "Well, I might just have to take the torch to it."

It was after that last line that I took my mom's advice about what to do when there is a plumbing project going on.

"Always leave during plumbing."

Of course I didn't actually leave because it was 7:30 on a week night and who goes out at that late hour?  But I did go upstairs and reorganize our closet and got rid of several things I haven't worn since college, yet have moved with me to three apartments and a house.  I'm talking to you, l.e.i. brand tan corduroy pants that I actually wore OUT TO A PARTY in college.

With a navy blue polo shirt.

When I was finished with my closet reorganization project, I went town to the kitchen to discover Matt had the brand new garbage disposal up and running perfectly with its powerful 3/4 horsepower motor.

So in 2016, my resolution is to run that garbage disposal all the time.

And not to wear any more tan corduroy pants.

I think both of those things are achievable.

Comments

That pic of Matt is hysterical! And love your mom's advice to leave during plumbing, I should definitely remember that. I also think I had those same LEI pants lol.

Happy New Year <3

Green Fashionista
Katie Elizabeth said…
Haha I love this! And I totally had the same pants - you are not alone ;) Happy New Year!
Cari said…
Ha ha! Good advice from your mom, my dad was a plumber, I know this to be true. Also, I just found a pair of pants like that in my drawer and I don't even know why I still have them....
LOL! I went through my closet a couple days ago and finally parted with a whole box of stuff. My theme this year is de-stress and simplify! Getting rid of lots of old things hopefully! :)
Ashlee F said…
Matt is such a trooper! haha My Husband says that too me all the time "Can you write a blog about this?" LOL I guess I shouldn't complain because he is so supportive of me spending hours typing out posts! LOL

We recently moved into our new house, we are renting for now, but it's such an old house that it doesn't have a garbage disposal. I wish it did! I hate not having one! Lol

Happy New Year!

-Ashlee Michelle
www.makeupandmodifieds.com
Emily Jane said…
I'm fairly certain I had those same corduroys and blue polo shirt. . . and a navy blue belt to top it off with... ;)

LOL @ leave during plumbing. Since nobody wants to be my husband, I call my dad and whine. He happily comes over to help, because that means he can give me unsolicited advice. He starts talking tools, pipes, drains, and I just nod - not hearing a word that's been said. LOL
Lindsey said…
lol. When I used to blog consistently, i.e., pre-children, TJ would always say, "you can blog about this." LOL
7:30 on a week night is far too late to not be home. Seriously.

I laughed so hard at the corduroy pants. And leaving during plumbing. Michael isn't handy like that, so we'd have to hire a plumber and then awkwardly wonder what we do while he's there.
Sarah said…
I love that he asked you to blog about it!! Not that it surprises me, but I'm impressed he knows about plumbing. My motto during any plumbing issue is "leave it to the experts". An expert Christopher is not.
ae said…
I still have more stuff from high school than a 31 year old woman should own. I never wear it, but for some reason I just keep it!
Erin Peyerk said…
Oh my gosh I forgot about l.e.i! I used to love those. Too funny!! How nice that your hubby is such a handy-man. :)
AiringMyLaundry said…
I'm glad you got your garbage disposal working!

I really need to clean out my closet.
Sara McCarty said…
Bhahaha! Oh corduroy...I remember those days. I'm glad that phase is over. :) And tell your hubby good job on the garbage disposal - I have some projects he could do at my house, if he's got some extra time! ;)
BLovedBoston said…
I think that's one of the benefits to renting - my husband can just call our landlord LOL!! Although watching him fix things is always fun!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston
Leslie said…
Yay for a handy husband and cleaning out your closet! I think you both accomplished a lot!
Jenna said…
Hahah! :)

Impressive handy work by your husband! And smart advice from your mom about leaving during plumbing work!

GAH...crazy to think back to corduroy pants and polo shirts being in style!
Too funny! Happy New Year, lady!!
Hilarious post!! Love that he was ready for his close up and wanted you to blog about this!! Happy New Year and Happy New Garbage Disposal!! :)
Stephanie Faris said…
Yes, when projects are going on, you should always find an excuse to vanish. A reorganization project is the perfect excuse! If I don't disappear, I often find I end up being asked to "help," which means standing there holding something for ten minutes.
Michelle said…
This is hysterical. Your mom's advice is perfect.
Baby Sister said…
Hahaha. I like the advice from your mom. That's what I tend to do. :)

I honestly thought you were going to say the pants met the garbage disposal in a tragic accident. I'm glad that wasn't the case. :) Yay for a new garbage disposal!