michigan part 2


We drove our Nissan Rogue back to the hotel on Friday night.  Also, if we had a dollar for every time someone said, "You're driving a Nissan in GM country?"  we could have afforded to buy the nicest GM vehicle in Pinckney.

Matt and I woke up bright and early on Saturday because apparently when you turn 27 you can't sleep in anymore, and decided to go for a walk in the hopes of finding some picturesque Michigan scenery.

This was the best we could do.

However, we did find a Dunkin' Donuts where I ordered an iced caramel coffee, so all was not lost.

We got back to the hotel and prepared for the main event.  Let me just tell you, there was no humility in that hotel room.  Matt and I kept walking back and forth past the mirror and complimented ourselves every single time.  We did one last mirror check before we left and Matt sighed and said, "It's just a real bummer I couldn't dress like a Secret Service agent."

Yes, because that's an appropriate getup for a casual backyard wedding.

We arrived to the wedding a whopping 45 minutes early, but thanks to the google we were able to discover that in just 5 minutes, we could go to hell.

Hell, Michigan.

And so we did.

And now I can officially say I've been to hell and back.  And hell consists of a gift shop, a saloon, a a surly biker gang.

I'm not kidding.  We left the car running while we literally ran out and took this picture because those bikers didn't look thrilled to have a car full of out of towners descending on their space.

The wedding itself was lovely.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect and it was small and simple.  Once the sun went down we sat around the fire and had s'mores.

We headed home on Sunday, and everything was going swimmingly until the TSA agent flagged me because my driver's license had my maiden name, but my boarding pass had my married name.  I have the license update card that reflects my name change, but the agent said anyone can make a piece of paper with a different name and they had to verify my identify.

And let me tell you.  That process took every bit of 45 minutes and by the end of it I was questioning my own identity.  A supervisor came over and called some phone number and I had to answer crazy  questions about myself for the person on the other line.  I don't know who the heck was on the other end of that phone call but they sure had an awful lot of intel about me.

If it hadn't been a rather serious situation I would have asked if they'd called my mom.

After the phone call, I had to go through a private screening, got the major pat down, and then they went through every single item I had with a fine tooth comb.  They even turned every single page of the books I had with me.  My only regret is that I forgot Matt had thrown his diabetes supplies in my purse, because it doesn't exactly look good when you assure the TSA agent you don't have anything sharp in your purse and she pulls out a bag of needles.

Whoops.

I have to say that every TSA person that screened me and my belongings was super nice, but super not messing around.  Luckily I was finally cleared and we headed home to Philadelphia.

I just bet the whole screening process would've been a lot faster if only Matt had been wearing his secret service agent outfit.

Next time.

Comments

Amy said…
Wow! A blogger who also has a diabetic husband! I find needles and test strips every. where.
Rachel said…
I've heard of Hell, MI, but have never actually visited. That TSA experience would have made me so nervous--on all of our overseas visas and stuff, making sure that names match exactly is a big deal, and Angel is a "Jr."...although in everyday life that tends to be a fact that we completely forget, we double check everything to make sure it has the "Jr." on it so that it matches his passport name.
Jess said…
I always get the pat down by the TSA. One time it was me and some old lady lol. My random TSA luck is off, but I can't believe the married name thing was such a big deal!
Evelina said…
Oh no! I'm shocked that the name gave you such a hassle! I'm sure you're not the first person they encountered with that situation! I would have been so nervous!!
Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House
What part of Michigan were you in? That's the state I live in. Don't feel bad, neither more husband nor I drive GMs. In fact, we love Nissans! Maybe we'll have to take a road trip to Hell, MI! Can't say that I knew it existed! Glad you got thru that whole TSA mess and home safely. Have a great week!

Ashley
acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
The visit to Hell sounds awesome and right up my alley.

I would have lost my mind over the identity game at the airport. Kudos for retaining your sense of humor!
LOL, I had no idea that there was a Hell, MI, but I'm glad that you made it back! Hehe.
Michelle said…
That's exactly why I haven't used my passport since I got married! I'm terrified something like that will happen to me. I should probably just get it updated and then I won't have to worry about it. I'm also creeped out that you had to talk to a stranger on the phone that knows about you.
Jessie M said…
I'm surprised your married name was such a hassle. And I hate the little piece of paper PA gives you. It's worthless. I had one for my address & I got hassled by a bouncer when I gave the "wrong address" since it didn't match my license. Totally not the same, but still a pain.

Glad they let you on the plane.

And also hooray for states that sell liquor like it's milk! PA liquor laws drive me bonkers.
Kelly said…
Ha, You make me LOL for reals. Who knew Michigan was so scenic. But at least they have Dunkin Donuts.
But seeeriously, That TSA check sounds intense! And creepy how much information they have about you (and me I presume).
Love your blue dress!
My husband's uncle used to live in Grosse Pointe, so we visited Hell several times! I'm sorry to hear about your flying experience. What a nightmare! On a more positive note, you looked beautiful at the wedding!
love your dress at the wedding! gorgeous. hell looks like an interesting and scary place lol. speaking of scary.. i've had that happen to me but it was with my green card and we were in dublin. it is terrifying! glad it was all sorted though :)
laurensparkle said…
this is exactly why I'm afraid to change my maiden name. I mean, what a pain! I have this half-baked plan to not change my legal name but totally use my married name in all other settings, work email, bills, etc... I don't think it will work HA!
Corie M said…
I'm a Michigander thats never been to Hell.... and it's not on my bucket list any time soon. I'm glad I'm not missing out on much! Lol

I hope the next time you visit Michigan you can explore some more :)