he even brought a tennis ball to the wedding

I wrote this post on May 23rd, which has long been my dream wedding date and favorite day of the year.  I think "May 23rd" sounds so pretty and always imagined it on a wedding invitation.  That particular dream died on March 8, 2014 when Matt and I vowed to love each other forever, through good and bad.

Speaking of the bad, Matt just requested me to slice the cheese for the cheese and crackers he takes for lunch with a paring knife instead of a steak knife like I did last night (desperate times) because it made his cheese "groovy."

And everyone knows there's nothing worse than groovy cheese.

Anyway, Michelle texted me tonight about the significance of the day and that's how you know you have a good best friend.  She remembers your favorite fake wedding date.

She also remembers our real wedding date because it's right around the time her car is due for inspection, which she found out the hard way when she got pulled over on the way to our rehearsal dinner for expired tags.

Speaking of weddings, Matt's youngest brother got married this past weekend, and in preparation for the wedding festivities, I decided to figure out a way to acquire an artificial tan because everyone looks better with a tan.

I briefly considered a spray tan, but that felt like a lot of money to spend on pure vanity, and then in the Sunday paper last weekend I found a coupon for $3.00 off L'oreal Sublime Bronze tanning towels.  I picked up a box, followed all the directions, and was so excited to see the results the next morning.

Let's just say it turned into a maxi skirt kind of day.

YIKES.

The streaks evened out by the next morning and at the rehearsal dinner someone even asked me if I'd been spending time at the beach. 

Nope, just in the sunless tanning aisle of Walmart.

The wedding went off without a hitch.  The boys all got ready at our house, including our two year old nephew, Anthony.  He'd screamed his head off at his suit fitting the night before, so everyone was a bit apprehensive about getting him into the getup for the big day.

We all kind of walked around all morning avoiding the elephant, or the two year old, in the room.

Finally, Matt and I took on the challenge and about halfway through I had visions of Anthony walking down the aisle in suit pants and the pajama shirt he was wearing, which was camouflage and said "my hero wears hunting boots, I call him daddy" with a big Bass Pro Shops logo.  Something tells me that wasn't exactly what his mother had in mind.

In order to get him to wear the suit, Matt and I promised him everything under the sun.  Candy.  Cookies.  Ice cream.  Several donuts.

A puppy.  

A BOAT. 

Sorry to his parents.

At one point Matt tried to distract him with a tube of tennis balls (I don't have any idea where they came from because I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty that we have never once played a game of tennis), and he wailed and said BUT I WANT A BLUE ONE TOO.  Matt disappeared while I tried to wrestle on the clip-on tie and came back with one of the tennis balls wrapped up in blue painters tape.

I almost gave him a standing ovation.

WELL DONE, UNCLE MATT.

In the end, Anthony's suit all worked out and he and Matt were thick as thieves all day.





Maybe next year Matt and I can renew our vows on May 23rd, and Anthony can wear that suit one more time.  We'll make sure to have tennis balls on hand.

And maybe some groovy cheese.


Comments

Brianne said…
Go Matt! I think groovy cheese sounds kind of awesome. Like regular cheese but with flair!
Lizzie Simantz said…
Hahahha kids are so funny aren't they?! Such a funny story with the blue tennis ball!
Groovy cheese...lol. And I've never really thought about a perfect wedding date...but I can totally see where May 23rd would look great written on an invitation in some beautiful calligraphy.
rooth said…
LOL a boat! I would've loved to hear that conversation
Rebecca Jo said…
OK... I'm impressed he even THOUGHT of using blue painters tape. ***SLOW CLAPPING****

& as a photographer, I BEG people to stay away from tanning products... or even real tans. Natural skin always looks SO MUCH BETTER in photos ;)
Audrey Louise said…
Now I want a blue tennis ball... Although I imagine being wrapped in painters tape doesn't do much for the ball's bouncing ability. Haha! Glad it all worked out and the elephant behaved!!
Amie said…
The cheese thing is hilarious!!! I don't care how you cut it, I LOVE cheese! That picture of the two of them on the bench is just precious :)
bhahaha, groovy cheese. I just love reading your stories.
Julie said…
Oh my, groovy cheese, haha
Adorable! Quick thinking on his toes with the blue tape! And lol at groovy cheese :-P

Erin LFF said…
Haha- I am impressed with the lengths y'all went through but HOORAY for that blue tennis ball ;) Now about that boat.... haha!
Sarah said…
Why can't Matt be Annabelle's uncle?! He deserves an award!
Groovy cheese sounds pretty awesome. I love it and reading your stories about weddings.
Aw, how cute in that little suit!

I totally hear him on the groovy cheese thing. I get it!
What a great story! Who new the importance of blue tennis balls? :)
Bethany Parvin said…
groovy cheese is too cute!
SO adorable and I love the groovy cheese!
Ummm so Matt and Jesse are definitely the same person because a few weeks ago I cut cheese for Jesse with a serrated knife and he said "where did you get the groovy cheese from?" and in my head I was like "who even says groovy anymore?!?" and then he added "because it just feels really weird in your mouth" and then I realised what we was talking about.

Apparently, it's all about the mouthfeel. Little did I realise, I married the male version of the princess and the pea ;P FUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSY!
Oh this is so sweet. I love all of these photos and it's so great that they could be buddies. Weddings can be tough for kiddos for sure! The groovy cheese comment cracks me up! LOLOL XO - Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
Torrie said…
Lol, life with a two-year-old is never dull (typed while my two-year-old is chucking bouncy balls at me, ha ha). What a great story! And so funny about the perfect fake wedding date.