I just finished wrapping a few last gifts, and I decided I'd borrow this Christmas questionnaire from Michelle.
1. Real tree or fake tree? This year, fake. When I moved into my first apartment after college in December, 2011, I got the cheapest fake pre-lit tree Walmart sells and I've used it ever since. Last year we put the fake tree in the living room and got a real tree for the family room. While I loved having two trees, we didn't get a real one this year because quite frankly our house is chaotic and messy enough with the kitchen renovation and I wasn't thrilled about vacuuming pine needles all month, but we will probably get one next year. For now, the little old fake tree is serving us well in the living room. Every year when I plug it in I cross my fingers that all the lights still light up, and so far so good.
Except this year it's a little lopsided. I guess you can't expect a $30 Walmart tree to last forever.
Pretend it isn't leaning precariously to the right. It is, as Michelle called it, the leaning tower of treesa.
2. Favorite Christmas cookie? I'm not fancy. I enjoy a good old chocolate chip cookie. Matt also makes pizzelles and they are delicious.
3. Home on Christmas morning or travel? Home. With the exception of my brother, we live within three miles of our families which makes holidays convenient. This year we will stay home on Christmas morning and go to my mom and dad's for dinner.
4. Clear or colored lights? I prefer colored lights. Which is weird because our tree and all of our outside lights are white. I need to start buying what I actually like.
5. Send Christmas cards? I sent them the first year we were married because I was getting a lot of mileage out of those wedding photos, but I haven't since.
6. Favorite Christmas present received? The year I was 8 I was obsessed with all things teacher related. My mom and dad gave me the actual Highlights sticker box that my teacher had, a chalkboard, a real teacher's planner book, and MADE AND PAINTED a podium for me. I was in my glory.
Matt got me a FitBit last year which I love and have used every single day since.
He also got me a butter churner, which I can't quite say the same about!
7. Favorite Christmas present given? This is hard. I can't think of anything right now. I'm not great with giving presents. I am excited to give Matt his gift this year but since he reads here I don't want to post a spoiler.
8. Stockings or no stockings? We hang stockings but don't really fill them.
9. Christmas PJs? If you consider yoga pants and an old t-shirt Christmas pajamas, then totally.
10. Favorite Christmas carol? It changes every year with one exception. If I had a dollar for every time I played Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne, I'd be rich.
This year my favorite is the Mercy Me version of I Heard the Bells.
In fact the other day at work was a particularly sad one, as some days in child welfare are, and this came on as I was driving home. I sang along and a few tears might have slid down my cheek when it came to this verse and I thought about the lousy situations I'd heard about all day:
13. Favorite Christmas movie or t.v. show? I love all the traditional Christmas movies but I'm going to throw a wildcard out here and say A Very Brady Christmas, circa 1988. My parents recorded it for me on VHS and I'm considering buying a VCR just so I can watch it again. I LOVED seeing the crazy Brady's all grown up and when Mike Brady leaves Christmas dinner because the building he designed collapses and he has to go check on his workers, oh man. And don't even get me started on when the whole Brady clan gathers outside the caution tape and Carol kicks off a rendition of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful."
14. Favorite holiday beverage? Peppermint hot chocolate. I got a huge canister of it this year and I'm having a mug right this minute.
15. Cookies and milk for Santa? Since no kids live here Santa doesn't visit our house, but cookies and milk for Laura and Matt? Yes. Lots of them.