what do these books say about their reader?

I always keep a sizable collection of reading material in my car because you never know when you will unexpectedly find yourself with a few extra moments.  You might be early for an appointment.  Or bored on your lunch hour.  Or sitting in a traffic jam at rush hour on the turnpike.  

Oh, I kid about that last one.  I only read on non-toll roads.

  JUST KIDDING AGAIN.  I am actually a big time supporter of keeping your eyes on the road and off of your iphones and blackberries whilst operating a vehicle BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, WHAT EMAIL/TEXT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT IT CANNOT WAIT TO BE ANSWERED UNTIL YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR DESTINATION OR AT THE VERY LEAST FOUND SOMEWHERE TO SAFELY PULL OVER?  I have some FEELINGS about that, but they are a story for another soapbox.

Anyway, yesterday I was on my way to the library to pick up two more books when it occurred to me that I have myself a mini library right in Old Blue, without the convenience of the handy Dewey Decimal System of course.  My system of literary organization is more along the lines of a slightly disorganized pile on the backseat.  Or on the floorboards, which is sometimes an unfortunate side effect of applying the brakes a bit more forcefully than usual.  Either way, no Dewey.


Let's take a closer look.  Here are two people I bet NEVER thought they would find themselves next to each other. Yet here they are, living on my backseat/floor in peace and harmony.


 Ah, a Nicholas Sparks novel.  This particular one is "The Wedding," but let's face it, it could be any one of his books, since they all have the EXACT SAME plot and the only things that change are the title and character names.  Yet I ADORE every, single cheesy, poorly written one of them. 


I keep these bad boys for a few reasons.  One of which is just in case someone in the Wal Mart/Target/Sonic parking lot asks me about planning their will or how to file for custody.  I will then whip out these trusty books and proceed to merely DISCUSS these legal issues with them, but most certainly not ADVISE them because successful completion of paralegal classes does not a lawyer make.

Also, these books are very big and heavy and I prefer to leave them in my car as opposed to carrying them back and forth into the house.  That may sound lazy, but I prefer the terms clever and strategic.


And finally we have several sophisticated periodicals containing only the hardest hitting of news.


As I was driving yesterday, I began to think what an unlikely literary collection this was.  And then, because I have a slight surplus of time on my hands, I pictured various authors/subjects having lunch together.

My three favorite scenarios were as follows:

1- Kate Middleton, Prince William, and the author of my estates and trusts textbook.  Oh, what I wouldn't do to be a fly on that proverbial palace wall.  Or a beneficiary on that will.  Whichever.

2- President Bush, Tina Fey, and Nicholas Sparks.  I think Tina would be hilarious and Mr. Bush would be a good sport, and Nicholas would try to be polite and occasionally come out with a line so disgustingly sweet that you literally cringe.

3- Tina, Carrie, Kate, and J-Lo.  And me.  That would just be fun, and I’d think I’d probably get at least one big break at such an outing.  I’d get to showcase my singing talent for Carrie and J-Lo and most likely land myself a record deal.  Or Tina would choose me for her comedic sidekick.  Or perhaps Kate would take me back to London to become an honorary sister because we all know that what the royal family really needs is a princess from Pennsylvania.
And on that note, Happy Friday!

Comments

Caitlin said…
Hahaha interesting, I never thought of keeping books/reading material in my car! You're right in particular about Tina/George/Nicholas. :)
ae said…
I always have a stack of books in my car as well!
Jas said…
That IS an interesting selection of books. I am anxious to read Tina Fey's book - she is such an inspiration to me. Did you love it?
Sandra said…
I like your sophisticated periodicals! haha
Just Add Walter said…
haha.. I do this too.. I just cleaned out 5 books out of my car. I love "The Wedding" and all Sparks books.. even though I agree the are all about the same!
Bellanouva said…
lol! The fact that you love Tiny Fay and have her book ='s awesome in my books.
Also, Nicolas Sparks is a genius :P
Jessica said…
I love the variety! When Love and I move in together, we will have a library of books from poetry to chick lit to old leather bounds. New follower wishing you a Happy Saturday!

*JRB
Jeanine said…
I totally do this...you just never know when you might need some handy "at my fingertips" reading material when i happen to be cruising around my busy life schedule. So I totally would be wishing to be in on the Kate convo...uh huh...how bout two honorary sisters from PA?? Can't think of anything better suited for her...no siree.

Jeanine
Delaney said…
Too funny! I should probably start doing the same thing. Following you back.
Anna Walker said…
Oh my gosh! I can't read Nicolas Sparks books for some reason, I don't normally get into them, but The Wedding was SERIOUSLY a fantastic book! I loved the ending! :D So sweet!

PS Nice Hard Hitting News Periodicals!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/
Sarah said…
Did you I got married on the VERY SAME DAY as Kate and William? If you are unable to become Kate's new sister by virtue of your complete charm and humor, let me know and I'll see if I can pull a few strings for you. After all, I have the same anniversary as her. How could a girl refuse in the face of such a fact?

Just make sure you take me along too. My name does mean 'princess'. ;)
Sarah said…
And I meant "did you *know*". Obviously.
Sarah Nicole said…
Love this! I absolutely adore every Nicholas Sparks book as well. I can't not read them. haha.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :]
Baby Sister said…
Hahahahahahahahaha. This made me laugh, in case you didn't get that by the "haha" stuff up there. :)
brlracincwgrl said…
I love Nicholas Sparks books! Yes, totally agree they are all the same but I never can put them down! Ha :)

I love seeing other people's book collections!
Manda said…
The wedding is my favorite book of all of his. But it could never be a sequel because how the made the notebook end in the movie totally different than the book. *sad face.