perhaps a career as a chef isn't out of the realm of possibility

 Last week was filled with culinary achievements. Given my history in the kitchen, this is notable and worth documenting.
 On Wednesday I made cupcakes for a co-worker's birthday.  The only problem that arose with that was when I stopped at the grocery store for some icing and discovered that my friend Betty Crocker makes both white AND vanilla icing.  All these years I thought white icing and vanilla icing were one and the same, but old Betty shattered that lifelong belief with just one glance down aisle 7. 

I ended up choosing the vanilla, and I had grand plans to empty the dishwasher and organize the fridge while I waited for the cupcakes to bake.  In reality, what ended up happening was that I stood in front of the sink for ten minutes, turning our garbage disposal off and and trying to determine if the loud, unpleasant grinding noise it was making meant that some sort of serious mechanical diagnosis was imminent.

 After living on my own for a few months, I have discovered something about myself.  

I am a big time maintenance hypochondriac.  

Sure, we've had some legitimate maintenance issues, including but not limited to NO HEAT IN JANUARY.  However, let's just say that Michelle and I have the maintenance number on speed dial.  And we have requested EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE not once, not twice, but THREE times. 

I am surprised that our numbers have not yet been blocked at the maintenance office.  It's really only a matter of time.

After thoughtful consideration I decided that the noise coming from the garbage disposal did not warrant a call to our maintenance friends Sid and Bruce because listen, I do not want to push our luck with them.  

And after all, it was probably just the fork that got stuck in there making all that noise.

JUST KIDDING about the fork.

It was totally a spoon.

After my disposal decision I reached into the cabinet to grab some potholders for the cupcake trays, and I came across this little gem.
  Originally I thought it was a bird's beak, but upon further inspection I realized that it is actually some sort of crustacean claw.  I don't know why I never saw it in the cabinet before, but it sure makes removing hot dishes from the oven a lot more fun.  It also makes it a lot trickier, as there is really only room for one, MAYBE two fingers in the top pincer.  Luckily I was able to successfully extract the cupcakes from the oven wearing the lobster claw.  

It wasn't easy, but I did it.

And finally, on Sunday I had my family over for dinner for my dad's birthday.  I will admit that I was a little bit nervous, but it went well!
 
 JUST LOOK AT HOW HAPPY THEY ARE!

Really, we had a lovely time and, as I told my mom, we didn't have to call for a pizza!  I call that a success!

Comments

Laura said…
Your family looks so nice.

...and now I want a cupcake!
Anonymous said…
Me too.
Nicole said…
Will you please write a book??? I could read your writing all day!! You are so stinkin' funny!
Baby Sister said…
That potholder is totally awesome!! Congrats on the dinner!! It's always a good feeling when it turns out successful!!