Wednesday, September 12, 2012

i'm going to stick to nail polish and lip gloss


I don't know much about the mechanical workings of my car, but one thing I do know is that I am supposed to get the oil changed every 3000 miles.  And that is something that I am religious about.

Last week I was getting close to that 3000 mile mark, so I stopped at the mechanic on my way home from work.  I checked in, placed my order, and settled down in the waiting room to take advantage of the tabloids there and get caught up on the hardest hitting of news, aka what Mr. Tom Cruise has been up to lately and the surprise wedding of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.  

I was two pages into Stars! They're Just Like Us! when I overheard a conversation taking place at the counter.  A customer was joking with one of the mechanics about his truck, and at one point he laughed and said, "What next?  Am I going to need a new flux capacitor?!"

And OH, that brought back a memory.

Last year my friend Stacy got a new car, and so we planned a night out to Applebee's and Burlington Coat Factory so we could eat and shop and I could see her new whip.  I told Matt that I was going to hang out with Stacy and meet her new car, and he said "Have fun.  And tell Stacy she should really get a flux capacitor for her car."

So we pulled into the Applebee's parking lot and Stacy showed me all the car's fancy features and I said, "I almost forgot -- Matt said it would be a good idea to get a flux capacitor.  I don't know what it is but it must be a good thing to have in your car."

And that was that.  

Until a few weeks later when Stacy called and asked me what that thing was Matt suggested that she get for her car so she could talk to her dad about it.  

I couldn't remember the name so I called Matt to ask.

"YOU ACTUALLY TOLD HER THAT?" he said.

Of course I told her that.  Me questioning Matt's knowledge of all things automobile related would be like him questioning my knowledge of nail polish or lip gloss. 

Well, it turns out that a flux capacitor is the tool that made time travel possible in the car in Back to the Future.  

It's not actually something that people driving non time traveling cars in 2012 actually need.

I wonder if the man at the mechanic knew that.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Hahaha omg, that's hilarious! Totally something I would do, I know nothing about cars!

Erin Heydt said...

HAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome. I'm a big Back to the Future fan so I got it right away and was dying as I read your post. LOL.

stephanie said...

hahahaha I would have thought it was something legit too!!

Steph said...

lol that's great! Honestly though, having never seen the movies, I probably would have been just as confused.

Baby Sister said...

So that's why flux capacitor sounded familiar!! Now I won't have to sound dumb the next time someone says that....providing I can remember, of course. :)

Rebekah Jo said...

I'm dying!! Girl you seriously crack me up!! I knew exactly what a flux capacitor was, but then again I am the ripe old age of 36 and have seen Back to the Future a total a 27 millions times.

I can just picture your friend pulling into the local auto parts store and asking for one!! HAHA!! That was a true coffee out the nose moment!!

Hilary Lane said...

Hahaha. If I hadn't just seen that movie for the first time last summer, I wouldn't have had any idea either!