more of a shiver than a cold

Well, I'm just sitting here fighting through the tail end of an extremely mild cold.  Good news- I think I'm gonna make it.  I'm not 100% back to normal but I was healthy enough to buy new black high heels after work today and eat 8 taquitos for dinner, so I'm well on my way.

It all started on Saturday night. Matt came over in the afternoon and we enjoyed some fall festivities and then decided to order a pizza for dinner and watch a movie.  Actually, we ordered two pizzas and I ate half of one all by myself.  It was delicious.  

We started to watch Spanglish but turned it off halfway through because, to be quite honest, it was a little boring and a lot confusing.  I feel like it's a low point to admit that a movie starring Adam Sandler confused me, but it is what it is. 

Later on Matt was getting ready to leave, and I stood up and suddenly felt VERY SICK.  My head hurt and my nose was stuffy and I felt like I was swallowing knives.  

I may or may not be exaggerating a wee bit.

I convinced Matt that he should probably tuck my into bed before he went home.  When he agreed to that, I proceeded to request a cup of cool water on my night stand because how could I be expected to get up to get myself a drink in my weakened state?  I am also a big believer of MILKING SOMETHING FOR ALL IT'S WORTH.  

I requested all of these things in a whisper, for dramatic effect, and held onto the wall as I made my way to my bedroom in an effort to convey LOOK AT HOW WEAK I SUDDENLY AM.

Finally, I took the opportunity to whisper to Matt that if he wanted to stop by the next day with some soup I would be most appreciative, but requested that it be something simple like chicken noodle or maybe a nice cream of potato.

And it was at that point that Matt looked at me and said, "You know, I've never seen such a serious illness hit so suddenly.  It's really hard to believe that just a few hours ago you were laughing and talking and eating half a pizza with extra cheese, peppers, and onions, and now you can barely speak or walk."
  
My jig.  It was up.

I knew the whole 'holding onto the wall while I walked' thing was over the top.  

Matt still agreed to tuck me into bed, but after further discussion we determined it was far too logistically complicated, because it would involve him leaving my apartment, locking the door behind him, and then coming around to my bedroom window and passing the keys back in to me.  Retrieving the keys would require me to get out of bed which would make the whole thing pointless anyway. 

So I said goodbye at the door and tucked myself into bed.

This morning it was back to work, and I found out I got a promotion.  I have left my cubicle behind and now have an office with a view.


Oh, I kid.  I was in an empty office for a conference call.  Rest assured that I'm still holding down the fort in a cubicle in the middle of the office with nary an outdoor view in sight.  

Although I think I may try to schedule some more conference calls in the future.

As soon as I recover from my extremely mild cold.



Comments

Courtney said…
Haha I definitely milk my sickness for all that it's worth!!
I'm so glad you used "nary" in this post. Also, your polka dot/red outfit sounds cute! It doesn't sound like a disaster to me. Way to go on your bravery, either way, though. That's what counts. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. :)
rooth said…
Hah, that's hilarious. My family members are totally like that as well - it's as though all of a sudden they're dying. I hope you feel better (still) soon!
Glad you're feeling better, and I was cracking up reading about how you milked your illness for all it was worth! LOL. Hey, why not, right?! :-)
Helene said…
first of all... congrats on the promotion!!! That's a big deal!! and sorry about your cold :-)

Helene in Between
Chelsea said…
So glad you're feeling better. I got sick yesterday and it was sooo miserable!
helen said…
hahah that is cute. glad you are feeling better :)
i have an awful office view too. and being sick is totally the worst :( even if it's justmild

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails // current giveaway
Amy said…
hahaha
Sometimes it's nice to 'play up' an illness!
Whitney said…
i def think you're going to recover :)
Baby Sister said…
I was all ready to tell you congratulations. :) I hate colds!! They're the worst. And I hate when it's not convenient for what we want to happen to happen. Like Matt tucking you in. So not nice.