when it comes to bowling, i couldn't be less competitive

Matt, Emily, and I went bowling last weekend.  I had a pretty good idea of how successful we each would be before we even walked into the bowling alley.

Matt was on the varsity bowling team in high school so I was pretty confident that he would be decent.

I've never been bowling with Emily so she was a bit of a dark horse, but I know she can be surprising.

And me?  Well judging by the fact that when our little trio arrived at the bowling alley, I marched straight up to the man behind the counter and said "three, please," I am clearly a bowling novice.

It was like I momentarily forgot that we were at a bowling alley and not a restaurant.

Luckily Matt was there and was able to explain to the gentleman behind the counter that while there were indeed three of us, we only needed one lane.

After we got that cleared up, we ordered our shoes, picked out our bowling balls, and headed to lane eleven to begin our bowling odyssey. 

I gave Matt my phone for a few minutes and asked him to take some candid photos.  I had visions of photos of me laughing jovially on my way back from a particularly great frame or a celebratory high five with Emily after a strike.  However, when I scrolled those photographic memories just now to download a few for this post, I discovered that instead Matt simply chose to repeatedly capture this particular angle. 

 Hmm.

I guess I reapplied my lip gloss and eye shadow for nothing.

Although there is this framer of Emily and me.


The first three or four frames proceeded with Emily in the lead, Matt in close pursuit, and me bringing up the rear.  I was sitting on the bench during Matt's turn to bowl in frame five when suddenly I heard a voice come over the speaker system and announce "SWEEPDOWN, LANE ELEVEN.  SWEEPDOWN.  LANE ELEVEN."

WE WERE LANE ELEVEN!

AND WE WERE EVIDENTLY SELECTED FOR A SWEEPDOWN!

I COULD NOT BELIEVE OUR GOOD LUCK.

I looked at Emily and Matt and when neither of them showed any signs of excitement that we had just gotten a shout out for a sweepdown OVER THE LOUDSPEAKER, I assumed they just weren't listening.  So I excitedly asked Matt, "Did you hear that?!! We're getting a sweepdown!! Do you know what a sweepdown in bowling is?"

And then we went through a ritual that I know by heart because it happens on an extremely regular basis.  

That ritual typically features me repeating whatever excited, enthusiastic statement I just made, and then Matt looking at me quizzically for a few moments while he determines where the heck I'm coming from and formulates an appropriate response. 

After a few seconds of thought he said, "Laura, a sweepdown isn't an EVENT.  The piece of equipment that re-racks the pins is called a sweep.  And ours is down."

And sure enough, with one quick glance down our lane, I saw that our sweep was indeed stuck.

TALK ABOUT TAKING THE WIND OUT OF MY SAILS.

Here I had thought we won some fantastic bowling alley prize, and the reality was that we were just the unlucky patrons of a lane with some malfunctioning equipment.

A few minutes later our sweep was fixed and things literally got rolling once again.

And the game proceeded in much the same matter in which it began, and by that I mean Emily crushed us, Matt held steady to second place, and I finished in third.  

I can't say that Matt was thrilled, but Emily sure was.


I can't wait to go again.  

And I'm kind of crossing my fingers for another sweepdown, because what's a game of bowling without a little drama?




Photobucket

Comments

Carly said…
LOL That is so something I would do too!! I love bowling, so much fun!
Jackie said…
Ha. I wouldn't have known what a "sweepdown" was either. i am also pretty terrible at bowling. I haven't gone in ages although I think it's fun!
K said…
Haha I get that look from my husband all the time! Glad you guys had fun!
Beth Boone said…
I love to go bowling!!!! Looks like fun!
Karla said…
Hahahaha.. oh my gosh.
First of all, I never give Scott my phone to take pictures because of this exact reason. I always have visions of what they'll look like too hahaha and I'm always wrong!

I stink at bowling. This was such a funny post. Love it! =)
Joy said…
I love to go bowling, however, I'm not that great at it. My mom was on a bowling team before I was born. She still has her bag and shoes. I think it's awesome. Now that she has retired, we think she should try to get back on a team, but she says no. OH well. Sounds like a fun time was had, and you even learning some of the lingo! ;)
Ashley said…
Hahaha, that sounds like something I would totally do. How would anyone know what a sweep down is? :)
Corinne said…
haha too funny! I've never heard of a sweepdown before, so I probably would have been a little excited initially as well!

At least you had fun! I haven't been bowling in forever, now I want to go!
Hilarious! I'm glad you enjoyed your first bowling experience... I'm not very good, but I absolutely love bowling!
Blaise said…
I'm literally the worst bowler in all of bowling. I go in to the game thinking I totally got this, and then end up throwing gutter balls the whole night. Haha :) And I'm positive I would have reacted to the sweepdown in the same way!
Tayler Morrell said…
This is hilarious. I love bowling! My husband and I are super competitive. My husband also has an interesting form--he always curves the ball a lot! Most of the time, it curves too far.

morrellfairytale.blogspot.com
Casey said…
This made me laugh! I am a terrible bowler. I keep asking my husband to go bowling with me but he keeps saying no. Butt head.
Breezy Brie said…
haha girl you are crazy :)

and at first I thought the man was going to give you a size 3 shoe!
Ashley B said…
Hahaha, you're so cute! Glad you guys had a good time bowling! :) I used to be on a bowling league, but I'm still pretty horrible.
Kathryn said…
I'm not very good at bowling, but I like it and always have fun. Too funny about the sweepdown. Lol.
Victoria said…
how fun and funny :)

bowling is always a great time,i go on nye with my family!
Rachel said…
Laura, that sounds really fun! I would like to go bowling, but will have to wait until my little guy can do it too. Your profile says you're Penn Stater, are you still in the area?

floral&fudge
Baby Sister said…
Lol. I like your version of a sweepdown much better than the real version. :)
LeeAnn Hilker said…
You are a paralegal? Me too! Well I have my certificate but I changed career goals! Thanks for stopping by my page!
Courtney said…
Hey, you had me fooled with the sweepdown! I thought, jeeze I need to go bowling more what is a sweepdown? It sounded exciting to me too.
That is funny! Bowling can be really fun. I joined a league with some other new people when I moved to PA for work. I definitely improved over time but it definitely took a while and I'm still not good. It's way harder than it seems like it should be.
Katie said…
Ok. Your blog is hilarious. Plain and simple. I was cracking up over your excitement about the sweepdown. Best ever.