i've learned my lesson

Due to a surplus of vacation days that have to be used by the end of the month, I had off on Thursday and Friday, so I took advantage of the long weekend and my in-laws' empty beach house and took off Thursday morning for a few days down the shore. 

It was glorious.  I read five books, took a million walks, and ate cheese and crackers for every meal.  

The beach was so breezy that I wore my sweatshirt three out of four days, and on Saturday I even traded in my shorts for a pair of capris.

And that's where I went wrong.

Like a total beach novice, I did not put sunscreen on my lower legs, ankles, and feet because I foolishly figured since 80% of them were covered, I'd be fine.

I was not fine.

After I finished my book, I took a little snooze, and when I woke up my lower legs were burning with the heat of a thousand suns.

I could almost see the heat emanating from them.

I am not kidding when I say I think you could've cracked an egg on my shin and fried it.

When I got back to the house I put on a generous application of aloe and some cold compresses, which is a routine I've repeated regularly over the last 24 hours.  The pain is decreasing but I still can't really get a shoe on, so that's going to make my fancy work conference tomorrow very interesting.

My sister has a twitter account where she posts songs that correspond to her current situation.  

They always make me laugh, so I figured I'd give it a try for my current situation.


Maybe Rod could send me some aloe.

Comments

Oh you poor thing! Hopefully you are doing better today! Time at the beach sounds amazing, though.
Rebecca Jo said…
I'm going to listen to that today on Spotify in your honor.

There really is nothing like that stinging burning/yet freezing feeling of your skin being burnt to a crisp. Hope its easing up.
Mary Leigh said…
Oh that stinks! Hopefully it heals up soon! I lather on the sunscreen these days because I hate sunburn so much!
oh rod. haha. your poor legs! i am lucky that my legs almost never ever burn, except when i fall asleep face down in the sun. not fun.
Julie said…
Well I did apply sunscreen, and tan stuff, this weekend, and neither worked & I'm burned. So who is to say it would have worked ;). I need something that truly works and I've yet to find it!
Lol I am dying!! And FIVE books?! Dang girl! I was proud of myself for reading one and a half this week!
Marie said…
Oh you poor thing! I have done that at the beach before. It's horrible. I too had thought I would be ok. Boy, was I wrong. I feel your pain. My feet were so bad that I couldn't wear shoes for almost two weeks. Feel better.
Andrea H. said…
Oh, no! That is the worst! :( Hope the burn continues to fade!

Also...what books did you read? Any you would suggest?
Michelle said…
The songs...genius. I love it! I am a PRO at sunburn relief. Solarcaine spray is my favorite thing in the world. It foams and feels better than aloe, AND you don't have to rub it in like you do aloe.
Leslie said…
Aww, hope you feel better! Sunburns are the worst!
Ouch!! Well, lesson learned right? I am chronically bad at re application after getting wet as if the original batch is somehow still going to protect my skin in some way. I need to learn my lesson!
Claire said…
Haha oh nooo! Too funny at the end, thanks for the warning!
Lux G. said…
I sincerely hope you are better now. My skin actually just got better from all the beaching I did last week. It was fun but my skin disapproves.

Thanks for sharing your lesson too.