hindsight is 20/20

Last week was my annual eye exam.  As soon as I scheduled it, memories drifted back into my mind of of last year when I attended my appointment and ordered all manner of optical accouterments and paid for the whole shebang out of pocket because I was under the impression that I did not have vision insurance.

As it turns out, I did.

Whoops.

So this year I had every intention of printing my vision insurance info out at work, but I completely forget so I stopped at my parents' house before the appointment to use their printer.  Unfortunately, in order to log into the insurance website you have to log into 47 other places first, and I could remember exactly zero passwords.

After half an hour of unsuccessful log ins, my dad suggested I just go to the office and see if they could find my insurance in the system.

I use the word "office" because it sounds more sophisticated than where I was actually going, which was the vision department of my local Sam's Club.

The vision assistant, Bevin, found my insurance right away and told me that my exam would be covered and I had a $50.00 credit towards materials.

Well, hot dog.

Things went downhill from there.  I had to take my contacts out and then sit for ten minutes in the "waiting room" aka a metal bench in the toothpaste aisle of a big box store, until the doc was ready.  And in those ten minutes I became incredibly nauseated from watching blurry figures wander about with carts filled with what I could only imagine was all manner of giant bags of pierogies and lifetime supplies of Ziploc baggies.

I wanted to blindly feel my way to the Dramamine aisle because I was in a STATE.

Finally the doc called me back, and after I read a few lines on the screen, he pulled the giant lens contraption away and said, "Hmm.  Let me just wipe off these lenses to make sure they're not smudged or something."

They weren't smudged.

My eyes have just evidently had a rough year and I will now be sporting driving glasses on top of my contacts.

Part of me was bummed, but the other part of me was psyched to be able to use my $50.00 material credit to return my aging eyes to their youthful glory.

And now I'm wondering how far I could take this vision insurance thing.

Maybe I should make an appointment to see about an eye lift.

Pun intended.

Comments

Rebecca Jo said…
I'm amazing at how bad my eyes get every year.
I went to Sam's Club too for my last eye exam... its a unique experience.
I have no eye insurance. That bites.
I feel like I might need glasses to drive at night. It's probably time for me to go back.
Ugh, I feel your pain. Just these last couple of months I've noticed that I'm not seeing very well out of my left eye. Well, normally I can't see things far away, but I just noticed the other day that I can't see up close in my left eye either. Doesn't that usually mean that you need bifocals?! #OldLadyStatus
My eye sight is horrible! I would totally be with you on getting sick having to just look and see a bunch of blurry objects moving around. At least you got to make use of that credit!
Michelle said…
This morning I put my 2nd pair of glasses on instead of my usual ones and I ALMOST THREW UP I got so nauseated. They even have the same prescription! But any kind of change in my vision and I'm hunting for the dramamine. I fully commiserate with you.
yay for $50 credit. we just got vision insurance at work, and i haven't been to the eye doctor since i left australia... oops. my eyes were always pretty good but they are getting much worse as i age and i definitely need glasses and should probably definitely go to the eye doctor.