Tuesday, August 15, 2017

emily is as honest as i am vain

I had off last Wednesday and went to my brother's to see my niece and new baby nephew.  That has nothing to do with the rest of this post but I'm only including it so I can show you a picture of the cutest baby ever.



Now that that's out of the way, my sister and I went to my uncle's one afternoon to swim in his pool.  It's just too bad it doesn't look like a five star resort.




Oh wait, it does.


Matt gave me an underwater camera for my birthday before our vacation to Punta Cana two years ago, so I thought I'd bring it along to the pool because how often can you use that feature?  Emily and I had a grand old time taking underwater videos of ourselves jumping in and swimming around pictures of the frogs that were in the pool.  



Then I decided to try to model the cute floppy sun hat Emily brought.  Naturally, I assumed I'd look like a model, but when I put it on and asked Em how I looked she said, "Well, you kind of look like The Flying Nun."  




Every girl's dream.


A few weeks ago I'd mentioned to Emily that when I see photos of myself, it looks like I have major dark circles under my eyes.  I spend more time than your average bear looking at myself in the mirror, and during the hours of research I've noticed that the dark circles aren't quite so prominent in person, but in a picture, YIKES.  Emily was very supportive and said maybe it was just unfortunate shadows, but I'm here to tell you the camera can add ten pounds and in some circumstances, under-eye circles.


Anyway, I half-seriously, half-facetiously, told Emily that we should have a photo shoot and I'd show her a new smile I'd been experimenting with.  It involved squinting my eyes a bit because I thought that made me look more friendly.


She agreed, but upon seeing the look, gently suggested that squinting my eyes did nothing to help my under-eye circle situation and that perhaps I should just put my sunglasses back on.  I told her I'd try a close-mouthed smile and Emily sighed and said, "Well, I have to be honest.   Now you just look half asleep and grumpy."  


Everyone needs an Emily.

We were telling this story to my parents at dinner on Saturday night and told them I'd show them the pictures so they could judge the friendliness factor for themselves.  I pulled up the pictures on my phone and my mom scrolled...and scrolled...and scrolled...until she finally said, "Laura, this is a few pictures of frogs and about 100 pictures of you."



Guilty. As. Charged.

Although if you look closely, you'll see one photo of Emily.

The one where she has her back to the camera.


Maybe she was worried about the camera adding some under-eye circles.





11 comments:

Brianne said...

It's good to have an honest friend/sister lol. The frog pictures are pretty cool, as is the photo shoot haha

BLovedBoston said...

I'm pretty sure my mom would have said the same thing about all the photos I have of myself LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

Too funny! You always need that person to tell you the truth!

Audrey Louise said...

Hehehe, family is good for hitting you in the face with some cold, hard truth :D Lol!
*How do I get an uncle with a pool like that...?

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Haha everyone needs an Emily! And check out that pool - wow! <3
Green Fashionista

Rebecca Jo said...

Is Emily sitting on shoes in the last pic? ;)
I love a good floppy hat but yep... now cant unsee the flying nun.
OK - you have it right- that baby is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily @ Martinis & Bikinis said...

The pool and garden around are gorgeous but eek I hate frogs. That would send me running! Emily @ Martinis & Bikinis

rooth said...

That pool is beautiful! You can always count on family to tell you the honest truth, right?

Lizzie Simantz said...

I am literally laughing at what your Mom said!! Gah I want that pool!! And yes, your baby nephew is gorgeous!!

sara [at] journey of doing said...

My mom has told me I look like a raccoon since I was a kid. Maybe it's the camera. Hm.

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

I totally had a similar conversation with a friend about this on the weekend. Sometimes I feel like I look good and then I get jesse to take a photo and I'm like nuh uh - but then if I take a photo myself it looks like the mirror image.... so now I'm convinced that either I have some sort of weird photo dysmorphia where my brain knows when I take the photo and I make up my own image or Jesse is a terrible photographer... either way, I'm kind of screwed 😜