Friday, August 25, 2017

i can't believe i waited 29 years to try chicken and waffles

My birthday was last Friday so I decided to take the day off and make it a three day weekend.

I was going to kick off the celebrating by doing one of my favorite thing, sleeping in.  But I woke up at the crack of 5:55 a.m., so I had plenty of time to do my second favorite thing, sit on the patio and read and sip my coffee.

Except it was hot and cloudy and with about 812% humidity.

So, I just waited around and curled my hair which was a complete waste because did I mention 812% humidity?

My weird hair and I picked my sister up and we headed out for breakfast.  I got a giant plate of chicken and waffles and washed it down with a chocolate chip shake-a-chino, because I decided to start the year off on a healthy note.  Emily also went the nutritious route, and ordered the most decadent french toast I've ever seen and a Reese's peanut butter hot chocolate.


Right after we took this photo, someone came over to Emily and told her how pretty she is. I'm sad to report that I did not receive any compliments from strangers, so after we finished breakfast we walked right over to Ulta to try to find something to make me beautiful and cover up the dark under-eye circles with which I've recently been plagued.

While we wandered around, I told Emily that I'd decided on my new life motto for the year.  Things have been stressful at work lately and I haven't been sleeping great, so I told her my motto was going to be "Don't worry about it at all, but certainly don't worry about it in the middle of the night."

I think that might be the solution to my under-eye circle problem for ZERO DOLLARS.

After Ulta, we went to Kohl's to get Emily a nice shirt to wear with dress pants and a business suit because senior year of college requires job fairs and career dinners.  While we shopped I shared career advice with her, the main piece of advice being, "Lots of people are going to be smart enough and qualified enough to do the job.  Be the person that the hiring manager LIKES and WANTS to do the job.  Sometimes being friendly and a hard worker can get you farther than credentials on your resume."

I might have borrowed that particular piece of advice from my dad, but he's a very successful guy and so far it's served me well, so I think he's on to something.

Matt and I had talked about going out for dinner, but I decided that I'd rather cook a nice dinner (hello, 29!) so I made this and we really enjoyed it.  Matt brought home a cake and presents and after dinner we went to sit out on the patio and we looked up and saw the most beautiful rainbow.


It was a good way to end the day, and start the year.

31 comments:

rooth said...

Happy belated birthday!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Happy belated birthday! Your hair looked fabulous btw, and yummmmm to chicken and waffles! Happy Friday <3
Green Fashionista

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Happy birthday late! I have never tried chicken and waffles myself--and am unlikely to, as the nearest place to get such a thing is probably literally 200 miles away--and frankly, I think probably the twain should never meet. But I would be willing to try it out should I ever get the opportunity.

Now that shake, on the other hand, I would need no convincing to drink right up.

Emily Steiner said...

Happy belated birthday!! I've never tried it, but heard it is super tasty! xx

Beautifully Candid said...

I can't believe you waiting that long either! It's so good. I hope you had the best birthday minus the humidity. Beautifully Candid

Kelly said...

I loooooove chicken and waffles! What a delicious way to celebrate your birthday! Hope you have a great year. :-)

Michelle said...

When I lived in NC, it seemed like everyone served chicken and waffles. I was baffled by it and grossed out, but a few years ago I ordered it on a whim and OMG, how did I not know?! I haven't thought about them in awhile but now I'm craving them.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a fun adult birthday to me! I like your motto. Let me know if it works on the dark circles.

Carolann Chambers said...

Happy happy birthday!! That dinner you made looks incredible. I might have to try it next week. I love going out but I am at the point where I would usually rather stay in and cook something delicious.... or have my husband cook it!! I guess that's what happens when you get older - I just turned 30!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

Happy Birthday!! Both your breakfasts look scrumptious! And I like that work motto - both of them. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

Klein Dot Co said...

Happy Birthday!! You are the cutest! Also, chicken & waffles makes the best homemade dinner :) I stir some Siracha into the maple syrup to kick it up ;)

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Happy birthday!! I hope that you find something for under eye circles... because I need that in my life. Worry or no worry in the middle of the night, I can't get rid of them either.

Betsy said...

What a great photo of that rainbow! Perfect end to what sounds like a lovely day!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Happy belated birthday, girl!

I can't wrap my head around the chicken and waffles thing - but Jesse has tried to convince me many a time it's delicious!

Lostvestige said...

It sounds like you had an awesome birthday with equally awesome food :D

julie @ jewelswandering.com said...

Happy belated birthday! Mine was on the 23rd! ;) I love me some chicken and waffles... Oh yum.

Brianne said...

Happy belated birthday! I turn 29 years old this year too! I'm loving your life motto. I've never tried chicken & waffles. I just can't get myself to do it. I'm that weirdo that doesn't like syrup to touch her sausage, bacon, eggs, etc so I can't imagine chicken being different.

Faith said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I tried chicken & waffles two years ago which means it took me 32 years to get on board! You did better than I did :)

That stranger should have complimented you both, haha. I think you looked fabulous with your curled hair!

Faith said...

Oh wait, I'm wrong ... I tried it when I turned 30! I remember because I went to Vegas for my 30th birthday and remember booking a restaurant just because they had it on their menu, lol. You still got me beat.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

Happy birthday! I love that rainbow!

Marie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! That rainbow is so great! I don't think I even saw a rainbow on my birthday!! That's pretty cool, I think you will be very lucky!!

Andrea Nine said...

Happy Belated Birthday pretty chicken and waffle eating girl!!! Hope it was awesome like you!!

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! I love the flavors of chicken and waffles together, so I'm glad you could finally taste em'!

Meg Taylor said...

Happy birthday!! Holy moly, that breakfast sounds so good. A shake-a-cino is calling my name right now. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day :) Hope you had a great weekend!

Meg, Borrowed Heaven

Audrey Louise said...

That sounds like a great birthday to me! I just recently tried chicken and waffles, too, and it was AMAZING. I can't believe how good it was!
I always wander into Ulta with a purpose and wander out empty handed and overwhelmed... ha.

BLovedBoston said...

Happy belated birthday girl! I like your new motto & I actually haven't tried chicken and waffles before eek! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

happy belated birthday! i have never had chicken and waffles, the two together kind of freak me out a bit. that shake though? sign me up for that. both of your meals sound amazing, i want to go there!

julie @ a hopeful hood said...

I seriously love your writing style so much and there feels like 100 things I should also be responding to in this post but I have to just say I cracked up when you said no strangers complimented your beauty so you went to get under-eye cover up....so so funny!! I just applied some new dark-circle-cover-up this morning in an attempt to look like a real person haha.

Happy belated bday!!

Sparkles and Lattes said...

I can't believe you have never had chicken and waffles before. That is crazy to me. One of my favorite meals!!!

Erica @ Whimsical September said...

Happy birthday girl, just a few days late! Your sense of humor is my FAVORITE EVER. Do you share videos on IG? I need to go stalk you and see because I bet they would be a RIOT!

AnneMarie said...

Happy birthday!! Oh man, that breakfast sounds SO GOOD. Also, the lemony pasta dish looks amazing. I'm really, really hungry now.