Monday, September 11, 2017

what i read: september edition

I'm linking up today with Steph and Jana for Show Us Your books.  For the second month in a row I only read two books.  


First up is Fly Away by Kristin Hannah.

Tully Hart has always been larger than life, a woman fueled by big dreams and driven by memories of a painful past. She thinks she can overcome anything until her best friend, Kate Ryan, dies. Tully tries to fulfill her deathbed promise to Kate---to be there for Kate's children---but Tully knows nothing about family or motherhood or taking care of people.
Sixteen-year-old Marah Ryan is devastated by her mother's death. Her father, Johnny, strives to hold the family together, but even with his best efforts, Marah becomes unreachable in her grief. Nothing and no one seems to matter to her . . . until she falls in love with a young man who makes her smile again and leads her into his dangerous, shadowy world.
Dorothy Hart---the woman who once called herself Cloud---is at the center of Tully's tragic past. She repeatedly abandoned her daughter, Tully, as a child, but now she comes back, drawn to her daughter's side at a time when Tully is most alone. At long last, Dorothy must face her darkest fear: Only by revealing the ugly secrets of her past can she hope to become the mother her daughter needs.
A single, tragic choice and a middle-of-the-night phone call will bring these women together and set them on a poignant, powerful journey of redemption. Each has lost her way, and they will need each one another---and maybe a miracle---to transform their lives.
This is the first book I've read by Kristin Hannah and I know a lot of people love her.  Let me start with the positives.  I think the cover is so pretty that I want to frame it and hang it in my house.  As for the actual content, it wasn't my favorite.  Each chapter was written from the perspective of a different character, and it jumped back and forth in time.  On more than one occasion I felt like I was re-reading the exact same thing I'd read 50 pages before.  I actually went back and forth to compare page numbers because I thought I might have gotten a faulty book!  The plot was okay.  Nothing great and I was kind of relived when it was over.


And of course, I couldn't end the summer without reading an Elin Hilderbrand.

Claire has a problem with setting limits. All her life she has taken on every responsibility, assumed every burden, granted every request. Claire wants it all--and in the eyes of her friends, she has it: a devoted husband, four beautiful children, even a successful career as an artist. So when she agrees to chair the committe for Nantucket's social event of the year, she knows she can handle it. Claire can handle anything.


But when planning the gala propels her into the orbit of billionaire Lock Dixon, unexpected sparks begin to fly. Lock insists on working closely with Claire--often over a bottle of wine--and before long she can't ignore the subtle touches and lingering looks. To her surprise, she can't ignore how they make her feel, either. Claire finds the gala, her life, and herself spinning out of control.



A Summer Affair captures the love, loss, and limbo of an illicit romance and unchecked passion as it takes us on a brave and breathless journey into the heart of one modern woman.


This book won't win any literary awards, but much like The Bachelor, the drama sucked me right in.  If you're looking for a fantastic piece of literary greatness, this is not the book for you.  If you're looking for a mindless read about people whose lives are far more dramatic than you'd ever want yours to be, give it a try.

I am going to the library tomorrow and have a whole list of books to look for thanks to posts from this link-up.  Have you read any of them?

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti
One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist
Celine by Peter Heller
Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer
Nine Women, One Dress by Jane L. Rosen
The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland by Rebekah Crane
That Night by Chevy Stevens
I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

33 comments:

Nadine Lynn said...

One True Loves and Dumplin are on my list of top favorites, so get those for sure!!!! That stinks the Hannah book fell flat. Elin Hilderband has many books on my to read list and I know this is one of them. I need to pick up one soon.

Mimsie said...

I loved "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. Maybe give that a try?

Confuzzled Bev said...

As soon as I opened your post my first thought was "how stunning is that cover?". Sorry the book wasn't great.

The only one I've read from your list is That Night. It was okay, but if you've read and enjoyed "Still Missing" by Chevy Stevens "That Night" is nowhere near as good.

Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real said...

I don't think I've read any of these books. I'm definitely adding a few to my list though!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

Fly Away is a sequel to Firefly Lane. Maybe that one needs to be read first. I read That Night - I like Chevy Stevens!

Heather @ Heathers Hurrah said...

I am probably one of many who recommended One True Loves because I looove TJR. Any of her books are good if you can't find OTL right away. Loved Dumplin too!! If you like Elin Hildebrand, you should track down her Winter trilogy (The first one is Winter Stroll, then Winter Street, and Winter Storms) before Christmas! They are super feel-good Christmas books and I devoured them last winter. :)

Brittany Pines said...

Dumplin' was one of my favorites, hope you enjoy it!

Lauren said...

I've read and LOVED I'll Give You the Sun. Sorry you didn't really love your last two reads.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Laura said...

Chevy Stevens is one of my favorite authors and Fly Away is probably my second favorite novel by Hannah except for The Nightingale, of course! Happy reading!

Jenny said...

I read One True Loves and thought it was pretty good. It made me think about what I would do in her situation. Not my favorite book... but it definitely held my interest!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Firefly Lane, the predecessor of that Kristin Hannah that you read, was much better than that one. That one was crappy. Don't let it influence you on reading other books of hers.

Rebecca Jo said...

Get One True Loves... dont stop & consider anything else.
Unless you can get Dumplin'
but totally OTL first!!!!

Julie said...

Both are on my goodsreads list to read already. They sound good!

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

hope you like One True Loves! i adored it. bummer about fly away, i haven't read it yet. i've only read the nightingale by hannah and i loved it so much i can't see how any of her other books could compare.

Tanya said...

I loved The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. This seems like a very different book. And I sometimes have mixed feelings about multiple narrators. When it works, it's brilliant. And when it doesn't, it can give you a migraine trying to keep everyone's story straight. I loved One Dress, Nine Women. Such a fun, light story! Hope you enjoy it!

Bailey Bryant said...

I hate that your read Fly Away before Firefly Lane! Firefly Lane is much better (one of my favorites of hers). You should give Colleen Hoover a shot; It Ends With Us, Confess, Hopeless, November 9--all were great!

Audrey Louise said...

I haven't read any from your library list but most of them are on my TBR list, too, and I've heard great things about them!! I can't wait to hear what you think about them :)

Jana @ Jana Says said...

From your list: Dumplin' is a can't miss. You cannot go wrong with a TJR book (Evelyn Hugo is her best but all of them are good). I loved Samuel Hawley but it seems to have mixed reviews amongst our little SUYB community.

Stephanie said...

LOL at the cover being the positive thing. To be fair, it IS really pretty. Sucks that the content didn't match!

Michelle said...

Was Fly Away the sequel to Firefly Lane? I read Firefly Lane years ago (I recognize the character names and basic plot from your review of FA) and did not love it at all. Which is strange, because Kristin Hannah wrote The Nightingale which is one of my favorite books of all time. I can't understand how she wrote both, because the difference in quality is astounding.

Hilary said...

I wasn't overly impressed with Firefly Lane either. I love all of Chevy Stevens' books though, so I hope you can find That Night!

Ashley Ziegler said...

I love your reference to The Bachelor, and then the last sentence.. "f you're looking for a mindless read about people whose lives are far more dramatic than you'd ever want yours to be, give it a try." hahaha so perfect. :)

I'll have to check out some of the books you're going to the library for!

The Siberian American said...

I remember liking Firefly Lane when it first came out, but I never ended up reading Fly Away. A Summer Affair sounds like a fun guilty pleasure!

Ashley @ The Wandering Weekenders said...

That's a bummer that you didn't enjoy Fly Away Home very much! I've loved the Kristin Hannah books that I've read so far, and this one actually sounds like a sequel to Firefly Lane. Definitely check out The Nightingale though, it's so good! And I still need to pick up an Elin Hildebrand book!

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

the only book I've read by Hanna Kristensen is The Nightingale which was FANTASTIC; hands down, that was the best book I read this year (early this year).

NY Foodie Family said...

Fly Away is actually the second book in the Firefly series by Kristin Hannah. The first was Firefly Summer which I loved! I love Hannah's books so I may be biased! I've read a couple of Hilderbrand's books but not A Summer Affair. Will have to add to next summer's reading list since it seems like a perfect beach read!

Marie said...

I'm a huge fan of Hilderbrand's books!! They are the best beach reads. I recently read her Christmas series and it as excellent! I highly recommend them.

Marie said...

Oh and I also recommend The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It was EXCELLENT!

Simply Alexandra // My Favorite Things said...

I have not read any of these! I haven't read any of either author you read this month either, I know they are both super popular, but it hasn't happened for me yet! XO - Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Carolann Chambers said...

I loved The Nightingale, but I haven't really been interested in any of Kristin Hannah's other books. Right now I'm reading Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, which is a memoir about a woman who worked in a crematory. I wasn't super interested in reading it, but my friend gave it to me and highly recommended it. It's so good!

Kristin said...

Samuel Hawley was okay but not as good for me as i wanted it to be. Others seemed to like it more.
ANYTHING written by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a good one. One True Loves was good but Maybe in Another Life was my favorite.
Chevy Stevens is fine too. Some of hers are better than others.

lauren alford design said...

hope you had a good trip to the library! I haven't read any of those books so I look forward to hearing about them :)

jenn said...

i think i've got a kristin hannah book somewhere because i know she's a popular author, but it's one of those i bought and then left stashed somewhere in my room. one day, i'll unearth it and sit down to read it, but after reading your thoughts on her work here, i'm not too keen on getting to it any time soon.

i think i've got a hilderbrand book around here somewhere, too. i'm a bit more inclined to dig it out than i had been prior to reading what you'd written here.

as for covers, i've liked a lot of covers for both these authors' books. i like them because of their simplicity and color.

and as for the books you've listed that you'll be getting from the library... i've not read any of them. i hope you enjoy them.