Friday, September 8, 2017

there's a dumpster in my driveway, and hope in my heart

I had high hopes for a beautiful Labor Day weekend, an extra day off, and some time at the beach.  But, that didn't happen because I had to work on Friday, and Saturday dawned cold and rainy.  Matt and I decided to finish up our little living room remodel, which we started right after Memorial Day, but who’s counting?

Me.  I’m counting.

We installed the new baseboards, bought a rug, and then sat in the living room and admired our handiwork.  I still need to put up decorations and do a few final finishing touches, but the room has come a long way.


This is what it looked like when we bought the house.


The weather wasn’t much better on Sunday, so we went to the store to buy a new air conditioner for the kitchen and then Matt decided to start demolition.  There's no turning back now.

On Monday, I decided I would tackle wallpaper removal.  I created a little itinerary for the day in my head, and set aside three hours for wallpaper removal, because I am a fool who forgot about the painful master bedroom wallpaper removal of January ’16 and the fact that it takes many, many, many, DEFINITELY NOT JUST THREE, hours.

You know how much progress I had made in three hours?  I’d gotten about 3 square feet removed.

 

I’d also sliced my finger on the scraper thing whose technical name I cannot remember at this moment.  I want to say scalpel but I know that’s not right since I wasn’t operating on anyone.   


The hours ticked by and finally at 4:15 I decided I’d go to the store to buy decorations for the living room.  I went to about 4 stores and left every one empty-handed because I was overwhelmed with the thoughts of shelves and gallery walls and is there such a thing as too many mirrors?

A high point of the weekend was that the local rock radio station does a back to school A-Z special every year, and it started last Friday.  They play their entire library of music in alphabetical order and it takes about ten days.  Matt and I enjoyed listening and racing to see who could name the artist first.  Matt kept thinking he could stump me but I continuously surprised him by knowing, among other, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, and The Doors, like I didn't grow up with my parents playing the same music his dad did.

The low point of the weekend was probably when I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash came on, and Matt said, "Hey, it's George Thorogood! Or is this Bob Dylan?"

However, he did know a Heart song so that might cancel out the Johnny Cash mix-up.

Speaking of old classics, we’ve found all sorts of things in our kitchen.  The kitchen is an addition to the back of the house that the previous owner built about fifty years ago.  When we ripped away the window woodwork, we found cardboard shoved in instead of a shim.  Upon further inspection, it was actually a recipe card.
 

Pudding, anyone? 

(Also, I feel the need to tell you that nail polish situation has been rectified.  Shameful.)

We also discovered a hole in the floor that had simply been stuffed with old newspaper.  In case anyone was wondering what was going on in Philadelphia on April 6, 1979, I can tell you.
 

I also know how old two of their kids were in 1968.


Here is where the kitchen progress stands as of tonight.  As you can see, I've waved the white flag of wallpaper removal and new drywall will be installed tomorrow.


We have a lot of work ahead of us this weekend.  Hopefully no more injuries.  And lots of good music.



12 comments:

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That is an impressive living room transformation. Two thumbs up.

When I was in high school, I had this annoying Government teacher who made us all stand up and say a unique talent we all had. The only thing I could think of is that I can identify almost any song on the radio--and the band/singer--within a few seconds. (I almost certainly can't do this anymore, now that I am old and have no clue who all the new recording artists are.) So then he turned on a radio and MADE ME DO IT IN FRONT OF THE CLASS. What a jerk. Luckily, he only did about three songs and I knew them all, but still. Who does that to a 16-year-old?

Kristin said...

Godspeed on the house projects. I know the pain.
That red carpet is ...interesting.

Faith said...

Your living room looks so good! Not sure what the previous owners were thinking but I'll try not to judge.

No such thing as too many mirrors. Sean thinks there is a such thing but not me.

Can't wait to see more house updates :) Good luck with all that wallpaper.

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

Wow, you have so much to do in your house. The living room transformation is pretty amazing! I like to quiz Dave on who sings certain songs too. I usually know more than he does because his parents are older than mine so they know older songs that we don't listen to!

Audrey Louise said...

I hate wallpaper so, so much. I wouldn't have last three hours. I do love finding old treasures (or junk even) when tearing apart an old house! Our house was built in 1922 and I feel like every room (especially the attic) has a story!

Marie said...

Wow, you have done so much work. Your living room is fantastic. Great job.

rooth said...

The living room looks so good! My parents' bathrooms need new wallpaper and I think they should get new drywall instead of attempting to remove it... it's the worst! Can't wait to see your progress in the kitchen

Rebecca Jo said...

Wow ... 1968. That kind of stuff is always hard for me to paint over... even when its not my kids. haha.
Your IG stories have had me following all along with your reno - cant wait to see the finished reveal.

BLovedBoston said...

Oh my gosh the wallpaper - duly noted to never put it in my house!! Congrats on the remodel! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Lostvestige said...

Ahhh, the wall paper removing looks like a rough job! We are in the middle of quite a few home remodels as well, it always seems to take way longer than you expect!! I can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

Nadine Lynn said...

Goodness, just watching your house project videos on Instagram make me tired haha! It will be so worth it when you are all done though. Your living room looks awesome!!! It is too funny that you found that recipe card and old newspaper. Sounds like the home holds lots of memories!! Wallpaper is the absolute worst, God speed.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

a) there is no such thing as too many mirrors
b) buy a bunch of stuff from Homegoods or Marshalls and move it all around and return whatever doesn't work, do this until you're happy
c) janky nails are totally excused during renovation/house work situations but I also feel shameful when they are on myself