Monday, October 16, 2017

i hate to say i toe-ld him so

Well, it was a good weekend.  We had dinner at Matt's mom's on Friday and I'm happy for any night that doesn't require me to cook in a construction zone.  Matt went hunting with his brother on Saturday and they both got ducks.  While they were hunting I went to a writing group at our local library.  I was so nervous that I got there early and then sat in my car for 15 minutes.  When I finally worked up the courage to go inside,  I walked past the community room door and peeked in so I could get a sense of what kind of people attended the writing group and if I would be too intimidated to go in the room.

I don't know who I was expecting to be intimidated by.  J. K. Rowling?

The people who attend the Saturday morning library writing group, as it turns out, are not the intimidating sort.  I had a great time.  There were six people there and everyone went around the table and introduced themselves to me, and told me a little about their writing.  One woman, Marie, said, "I joined this group two years ago, when I was finishing up my first novel, which is called....oh shoot, I always forget the title.  Does anyone remember what it's called?"

Marie, I'm sold.  When you remember what the title is, I will buy a copy.

On Saturday afternoon we did some work on the kitchen, and did even more on Sunday.  Sunday's tasks included sanding the entire ceiling.  We put away or covered as much as we could, but anything that was out was covered in a layer of dust.  We put a fan in the window to suck out some of the dust, and when I took the fan out of the window last night, this is what the screen looked like.

At least it worked.







We primed the walls and then celebrated the anniversary of Matt's diabetes diagnosis in the most (in)appropriate way, with ice cream.


He was diagnosed 16 years ago with type 1 diabetes.  I've known him for 12 of those years and I cannot think of a single time I've heard him complain about any of it.  Last night I asked him how many times a day he thinks about diabetes and he couldn't even come up with an answer because he can't really ever NOT think about it.  So we celebrate his anniversary and the medical miracle that is insulin every year and this year called for Dairy Queen.

Speaking of diabetes, Matt's blood sugar sometimes goes low in the middle of the night and he has to eat a bowl of cereal or drink some apple juice.  He also has a less than stellar habit of just stepping out of his slippers somewhere between the kitchen and the bedroom.  You may, like me, recognize that as a tripping hazard for someone who wakes up the middle of the night and traverses downstairs to the kitchen in the dark with low blood sugar.

Exhibit A:

(New carpet for those stairs is on my endless wish list.)

Well, yesterday, on his 16th anniversary, he tripped on his middle of the night kitchen trek and sustained a toe injury.  He claims it wasn't because of the slippers but I have my doubts.

I've been getting texts throughout the day with updates.







(I appreciate that in the midst of a crisis of the hallux, he still adds a "z" to the end for a little flair.  Also, you'd think a girl who went to a writing group two days ago could come up with more verbose, varied responses.  Geez.)

Anyway, Matt is going to the doctor after work and let's hope it's just a minor injury, because we've got a hot date on Saturday and speaking of toes, Matt is wearing these.


13 comments:

Brianne said...

Hahaha the z's for flair & those giant feet! I'm glad you enjoyed the writing group!

Faith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

Hahaha, I'd buy her book too!

So much dust ... but it'll be worth it. Can't wait to see the end results.

I think your uhoh responses were appropriate. You could have said, I toe-ld you so!! ;) Hope his toe is better in time for your hot date!

rooth said...

Of course Matt's response is dramatic. And now I'm laughing thinking back to when you guys lost power and he told you to "Go on without me!" - LOL

StephTheBookworm said...

Oh Lord, I can't with those slippers on the stairs! HAHAHA. Looks like a ghost is going up the steps or something.

I'm so glad you went to that writing group! I used to run a writing group at my library and I had SO much fun. I really think everyone learned a lot from each other.

Audrey Louise said...

Your life is never dull :) I love the stories about Matt and his Matt-rationale.
My bff has Type 1 diabetes and I know it's always on her mind- especially when she was pregnant with her two babies. Good for Matt!

Rebecca Jo said...

So just curious - how old was he when he was diagnosed? My niece was diagnosed 2 years ago at 11 ... I love telling her stories about 'grown ups' that were diagnosed at her age & doing just fine now.

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

The stepping out of his slippers just cracks me up - I cannot believe this was his first time tripping over them!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Seeing that picture of his slippers on the stairs NEVER gets old. I am still cracking up.

Heather @ Heathers Hurrah said...

My guess is a flintstones costume for Halloween? We did that a few years ago and LOVED IT. :) You guys would be so well suited to it but either way, awesome feet! haha
So impressed with his ability to manage a disease that is really constantly always on the minds of those who have it.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Sorry Matt...it's totally the fault of the slippers.

The construction dust takes me back...to a bad bad place. LOL

Michelle said...

I will never get over the slippers on the stairs. It’s so strange yet so funny! I hope he heals quickly!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

I can’t believe he’s only tripped over once on his night missions. I’d be running into all the things, tripping over the slippers and then tripping on them as I went to pick them up haha