Sunday, October 8, 2017

our house is unspeakable but at least our lawn is in tip-top shape

Matt and I are going to a Halloween party in a few weeks.  The party is at his boss' house.  Costumes are required and there are prizes for the best ones.  Apparently people go all out.  His boss spent $500 on his costume last year.  That's about five hundred times our Halloween costume budget.  We have a few possibilities, but if anyone has an award winning costume idea, I'm all ears.

Last night I took a little walk down memory lane in search of some inspiration, and discovered this photo from the year my brother was a dinosaur and I was an elephant.

And then this year, where Em was Cinderella, and I was Pippi Longstocking, complete with a wire clothes hanger in my hair.  Phil was a table.  Our high school allowed seniors to wear their costumes to school, and my brother is about 6'5''.  His table top sailed above the heads of the other kids and was a hit.

------
The other day I had an appointment to get my eyes dilated.  Before I left, the doctor asked if I needed a pair of the little plastic lenses to put inside my glasses.  I told him I should be fine without them, that I had a pair of sunglasses in my car.

"Prescription?" he asked.  I told him they were just my normal sunglasses  and he said, " He said, "I think you're going to need these."  I took them even though I drove to and from work like this just fine.

I'll admit the little lenses helped.  Though I did take them off when I went through the Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru because even I have some standards when it comes to what my coffee friends think about me.

---------

80% of our house is in shambles.  The kitchen is torn apart, and the cabinets were delivered this week.  Our dining room is packed full, there are stacks of boxes in the family room, there is an open cabinet in the middle of the living room floor because the box was too big to fit inside the house the pantry, which is legitimately the size of my Ford Focus, is in the kitchen, AND there are 24 boxes of hardwood floors in the living room.

There is about 4 square feet of space in the dining room where Matt and I were able to wedge two chairs in next to the dining room table so we can continue to eat dinner like civilized adults.  Unfortunately I put my chair directly beneath the chandelier.  I stood up tonight and I don't know where I was looking but it certainly wasn't in front of me, because I marched full speed into the chandelier.

Luckily nothing was wounded but my pride, although the chandelier is a little worse for the wear.  All of the glass globes were knocked out of place and the impact burned out a light bulb.

Thursday night I got home after Matt and he called from the kitchen, "Hey, I'm in here!  I'm building something!"  I wound my way through the boxes and expected to see him building a cabinet.

Do you know what he was building, in the midst of the chaos?

This, a lawn thatcher.

Because of course.

Jesus, take the wheel.

Or the screwdriver.






17 comments:

Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real said...

Try going to a local thrift store to find a costume! You can get pieces for cheap.

Faith said...

Your brother's costume as a table was genius! So simple but so neat at the same time.

Looking forward to seeing what you and Matt come up with!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I think you should dress as a table.

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

Hahaha, as an adult, I have a go-to pair of cat ears that doubles as a headband for Halloween. I would NOT win this costume contest. #whoops.

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness! You have the patience of Job! I can’t wait to see your kitchen and your Halloween outfits.

Shannon said...

I love your bunny costume! That is so cute! I believe I was a bunny for my first halloween. I still have the ears at my parent's house. :)

julie @ a hopeful hood said...

HAHAHA omg $500 on a costume is literally insane.....if ever I could convince Devin to dress up with me, it would absolutely be based on what he already owns haha. Also, when we were in the thickkk of renovations (missing walls, just a bucket under the kitchen sink because we hadn't done the plumbing yet, etc.) we'd still take time to go do random fun stuff and I'm sure my renovation-savvy in-laws were judging us for not just powering through and getting stuff DONE. All that to say, if you want to do yard stuff as a break from home projects, then freakin go for ittttt :) :) :)

Rebecca Jo said...

That's why I have never done renovations - I cant stand the idea of 80% of my house being in shambles. I always say let me get on an HGTV show that puts me in a hotel for a few days & let me come back to a finished product. Is that too much to ask?

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I totally wore my hair like that for Halloween when I was little once! My mom braided my hair around a wire hanger and I was a clown! haha.

Nadine Lynn said...

Ahhh the table. An epic costume! My house is in shambles right now, and I don't even have remodeling to use as an excuse sooooo you are doing better than me!

Brianne said...

Love the Pippi! I think you should just get some mouse ears & walk around all night quoting Karin Smith. "I'm a mouse, duh!"

Heather @ Heathers Hurrah said...

Haha oh Matt!! Priorities!! :) Your childhood halloween costumes are awesome. My sister and I both loved being inanimate objects for Halloween too...I was once a Canadian flag, another year as the Queen of Hearts, and my sister dressed up as a pencil one year. The table is awesome! :) Black Eyed Peas is always an easy costume!!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

LOLOL Jesus take the screwdriver indeed!

Living through a renovation is 100% a sanity test over all else. One I fail at every opportunity.

I love your brother as a table!

Audrey Louise said...

I love those Halloween costumes! I've been so many different things. Lol. I want to be Carmen San Diego some year. I have all the stuff, I just need to go through with it. Lol

rooth said...

Your house = my house if I ever had to deal with a fixer upper. So basically I'll keep renting for now

StephTheBookworm said...

I LOVE your Pippi costume and your brother's table... genius!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

$500 on a costume?! Jeez, it sounds like Matt's boss takes Halloween seriously serious. I like costumes... but I'm also a cheap ass :P

I totally feel you on the house situation too. Our house is a DISASTER ZONE. We're in the middle of one room reno which leads onto two others so we have three rooms in disaster mode and then we had to go out of town and have my uncle house sit and look after the dogs which meant we had to clear one of the disaster zone rooms and move the stuff to another room so he had somewhere to sleep - essentially making 4 disaster rooms. Not cool.