Tuesday, July 26, 2011

did i mention that it's been HOT?

The other night after dinner Matt and I decided to go for a little creekside walk.  The temperature that evening was 101 degrees, and the humidity was about a thousand percent.  Oh, and the heat index?  ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN DEGREES.  FAHRENHEIT.  So basically, the perfect night for a twilight stroll!  

If you enjoy spontaneous combustion.

Matt and I were about thirty eight seconds into our walk when we caught this glimpse of The Wildlife. 

This deer turned around and stared straight at us for about fifteen seconds.  Then, once he decided we were harmless and firearm free, he continued on about his business of wading through the cold water because did I mention it was ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DEGREES?  I tried to take some pictures but they are a little bit blurry due to all of the excitement.  


Our deer friend eventually wandered to the other side of the stream and put his mouth down towards the water.  I looked at Matt and said, “Aww, look!  Do you think he’s fishing?”
Well, talk about spontaneous combustion. I think Matt’s head almost exploded.  And for the record, no, the deer was not fishing, because WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A DEER EAT MEAT?  THEY EAT THINGS LIKE LEAVES. 

AND APPLES. 

While I may not have seen a deer eat meat recently, it's also been QUITE A WHILE since I've seen one eat an apple. 

Another milestone in my life occurred this past weekend.  I took the train into the city and back, ALL BY MYSELF!  Getting into the city didn't make me as nervous as coming home, because let me tell you, there are some OPTIONS when you are homeward bound.  It wasn't as overwhelming as I thought though, and once I was 99% sure that I need to be waiting at track 4B, I claimed myself a spot on a bench and waited in the underground train station even though it was several hundred degrees because oh, the horror of possibly missing it. 

While I was sitting on my bench with my ol' eagle eyes glued to the incoming board, TWO PEOPLE asked me where they should be standing for their particular trains.  One man was going to DELAWARE.  I decided it was not the best idea to be giving out directional advice to others when I wasn't even totally sure of my own mass transit decisions, so I basically just wished my fellow travelers good luck on their inter-state adventures. 

I felt badly though that they had questions that I couldn't answer.  If only they had asked me whether or not deer eat fish.

17 comments:

Delaney said...

We have a bunch of deer around here, we even bought them some deer corn. I think we saw about 6 different ones plus two copperheads tonight!

Fran said...

You crack me up girl. I haven't seen a deer eat an apple recently either, thought I have seen them eat grass and leaves :)

Deidre said...

HAHAHA, oh my goodness. Deer eating fish? Really? Maybe she was a recreational fisherdeer?

Smile Steady said...

Hahaha... I love this. And for the record- I didn't think twice about the deer fishing question. But now that you mention it, I suppose they DO eat plants, don't they? :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow, that sounds like it's HOT! Hopefully it'll cool down soon! How cool that the deer was just standing right there!

Sarah said...

Just think! You could have helped your fellow passengers out by telling them where the box office is!!! I love getting the inside scoop. hehe! ;)

Baby Sister said...

Makes me glad I leave in Utah...at least the humidity isn't that bad. I'll have to keep my eye open for those fish eating deer. Scary!!

iris said...

You should travel more by yourself, it's good to get used to such things. Who knows what additional adventures will come should you continue :)

Nicole said...

Hahaha! I so love this post. And I certainly wouldn't be able to navigate underground transportation. I can barely get around in a car.

Jamie Lane said...

That made me laugh out loud! I read it to Kent and he started cracking up to! However, may I say I was laughing beacuse I am like you, and I was totally with you; I was thinking, "Yeah, was he fishing??" - and my husband was laughing because he grew up hunting deer with his grandpa (I orginally typed "grandma" hahaha) and knows everything your boyfriend knows about deer I'm sure. Loved this.

Amber Marie said...

I can't believe that deer!!! Very eventful indeed!

honey my heart said...

wow that is hot! but how awesome that you spotted a deer.

Cait said...

haha great post girl :) so glad i came across your blog! i'm def a new follower! xo

Nicole said...

heck I get nervous getting on the freeway, don't know how I could take at train everywhere!

Shelby said...

Thanks for the sweet comment! I'm your newest follower... I hope you follow me back!:)

Shelby xoxo
sweetconfessions21.blogspot.com

Becca and Derek said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! It really makes my day!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

generic propecia propecia online rezept - propecia results crown